Hacking GBC games don't work on my M3 Lite Perfect

Little Crazy Gam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
When I try to play a Game Boy Color game on my M3 LP all it says is that the game I'm playing can't be played on a normal Game Boy and I will have to switch to a GBC but in most descriptions of the M3 LP it says that it has a GB AND a GBC emulator (plus some more), am I able to play Game Boy Color roms on my M3 Lite Perfect Mini SD Version? If so, please help. (Again, forgive me for making my previous idiotic topic, hope this one isn't as dumb...)

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GB/GBC emulation on the M3 Perfect is actually done through the Game Manager program. When you add a GB game, it takes the *.gba emulator core, attaches your game onto the end of it, and sticks the final *.gba file on your card. However, the version that comes with the Game Manager is the older Goomba emulator which only works with GB games and dual-mode cartridges (work on GB but contain extra colors when used on a GBC). Upgrading the emulator core to Goomba Color should fix this.

First go to the Game Manager's folder in Program Files. There will be four *.bin files that correspond to the four emulator cores that the program supports. One of them should contain "gb" in it I believe (PocketHeaven is down so I can't look up the exact name). Download the latest version of Goomba Color from www.dwedit.org and rename the "goomba.gba" file to the filename you found. Replace the old version with the one you just downloaded. Then try adding your GBC games again.

Little Crazy Gam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
DanTheManMS said:
GB/GBC emulation on the M3 Perfect is actually done through the Game Manager program. When you add a GB game, it takes the *.gba emulator core, attaches your game onto the end of it, and sticks the final *.gba file on your card. However, the version that comes with the Game Manager is the older Goomba emulator which only works with GB games and dual-mode cartridges (work on GB but contain extra colors when used on a GBC). Upgrading the emulator core to Goomba Color should fix this.

First go to the Game Manager's folder in Program Files. There will be four *.bin files that correspond to the four emulator cores that the program supports. One of them should contain "gb" in it I believe (PocketHeaven is down so I can't look up the exact name). Download the latest version of Goomba Color from www.dwedit.org and rename the "goomba.gba" file to the filename you found. Replace the old version with the one you just downloaded. Then try adding your GBC games again.
I did everything you said and it still doesn't work. I downloaded the zip file, extracted the files in it, put the "goomba.gba" file in the root directory of the M3 GAME Manager folder, changed the name of the "goomba.gba" file to "INTRO_GB"(which was the name of the emulator file)(the other names were "intro_nes.bin", intro_PCE.bin and INTRO_SMS.bin)(and I've also tried to change it to INTRO_GB.bin, didn't work either), erased the original INTRO_GB.bin file and tried to put Metal Gear Solid for GBC into my miniSD-card through M3 GAME Manager but when I pressed "Open" when I had marked the file it said "Warning! Error in open file".

If you have any other ideas or if I did something wrong, please tell.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try using an older version of Goomba Color. The very latest one may not work correctly. You can also try using goomba_mb.gba instead of goomba.gba, but I don't think that will work.

Quick question: are your file extensions shown for all file types? In Windows Explorer, go to Tools - Folder Options, "View" tab, uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" and hit Okay. This will ensure that you're not doing something like renaming it to "INTRO_GB.BIN.BIN" by mistake.

Little Crazy Gam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
DanTheManMS said:
Try using an older version of Goomba Color. The very latest one may not work correctly. You can also try using goomba_mb.gba instead of goomba.gba, but I don't think that will work.

Quick question: are your file extensions shown for all file types? In Windows Explorer, go to Tools - Folder Options, "View" tab, uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" and hit Okay. This will ensure that you're not doing something like renaming it to "INTRO_GB.BIN.BIN" by mistake.
I tried the first two things, didn't work.

I did not try the thing with Internet Explorer because I have already tried many different names so I think that is covered up.

One thing I think is strange is that the Goomba Color emulator file is a gba file while the other emulator files are bin files, is it supposed to be so? Also, which version of Goomba Color respective M3 GAME Manager do you have?

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GBA files can be named *.bin or *.gba, they're both the same thing. The M3 Game Manager expects it to be named *.bin while the goomba.gba file obviously ends in *.gba so you must rename the file extension as well. This is why you must change the Windows Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer) settings so that you can view the file extensions. No matter what you change the name to, if the system is hiding the .gba file extension from you, you will not be able to get rename it to what the Game Manager expects.

EDIT: I should point out that I do not have the Game Manager installed, as I have never owned an M3 product. However, on the PocketHeaven forums a user was able to upgrade the "built-in" version of Goomba to Goomba Color by renaming the file to what the Game Manager expected.

Little Crazy Gam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
DanTheManMS said:
GBA files can be named *.bin or *.gba, they're both the same thing. The M3 Game Manager expects it to be named *.bin while the goomba.gba file obviously ends in *.gba so you must rename the file extension as well. This is why you must change the Windows Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer) settings so that you can view the file extensions. No matter what you change the name to, if the system is hiding the .gba file extension from you, you will not be able to get rename it to what the Game Manager expects.

EDIT: I should point out that I do not have the Game Manager installed, as I have never owned an M3 product. However, on the PocketHeaven forums a user was able to upgrade the "built-in" version of Goomba to Goomba Color by renaming the file to what the Game Manager expected.
Oh, sorry, I'm kind of a noob. And thank you! It works now! Hope it wasn't too annoying helping me.
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 16 is becoming bare minimum for today's gaymes +1