GBC Emulator port - khedgb (works on 5.0)

If you're having trouble with this (or don't want to deal with the problems it has) I recommend following this tutorial to play gb/gbc games in the excelent vba-next port.

Since retroarch isn't working on anything higher then 3.0 right now I ported the gameboy color emulator khedgb to the nintendo switch. (Works on all versions as far as I know)

Right now it doesn't have many features but it's enough to finally enjoy pokemon on the nintendo switch :)

XGjBm3Y.jpg

cBSLImA.jpg

Simply put the rom into sd:/switch/roms/gbc and start the homebrew.

This emulator can't detect when you used the ingame save-feature so you'll have to press the X-button every time after using the in-game save feature. Otherwise the save will get lost after restarting the emulator!

Please don't expect too much from this, I just made this so I could play pokemon and it's not going to get many features.

As soon as retroarch gets updated for 5.0 this will instantly become obsolete.

source (you need the sdl2-libraries from the devkit-pro pacman to build this)

DOWNLOAD

UPDATE:
Added audio support and proper scaling! (Many thanks @cpasjuste for the scaling-hint!)
UPDATE2:
Fixed a bug where after saving the game for a few times the emulator would crash.
UPDATE3:
Added joycon-analog-stick-support!
UPDATE4:
Removed the debug log.
UPDATE5:
Added a simple file picker! You can now play multiple roms :)
UPDATE6:
Audio is much better now (not perfect yet though). Many thanks to @renhei for the fix-suggestion!
UPDATE7:
Changed rompath from sd:/switch/roms to sd:/switch/roms/gbc in order to avoid confusion with the gba emulator. Also double joycons now work in unattached mode!

Attachments

• khedgb.nro.zip
    641 KB · Views: 2,120
Last edited by jakibaki,

jakibaki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
im about to test it out, I dont know how to program but Im a professional aritst and so if you want to change that black background into something fancier like a purple background with gba on it ask me.
Thank you very much for the offer but as I said in the main-post this isn't a "serious" project and will be abandoned as soon as retroarch is updated.

The emulator is open source though so if any other dev wants to implement an background-image-feature I'll gladly merge the pull request.

radaq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much for the offer but as I said in the main-post this isn't a "serious" project and will be abandoned as soon as retroarch is updated.

The emulator is open source though so if any other dev wants to implement an background-image-feature I'll gladly merge the pull request.

I don't know how to code but I really want to have fun with graphic design part of it.

Unity150_magickavoxel

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The super-gameboy-stuff is just a fancy border around a few games (which also for some reason causes a lot of lag).
Could you please confirm if color is working in the build I attached? (I don't have my switch handy right now)
If it works I'll update the main post :)
Does not work my screen just says gfxConfigureResolution: 1280 x 720 (window: 1280 x 720, offset: 0 x 0

Leonidas87

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada

I know you said you would be abandoning this eventually but if there was a way to add a game selection screen so we could have more then one gbc game on our switch at a time.

Each game named as say rom.gbc, rom1.gbc, rom2.gbc type of thing.

Think it over, all the best.

toomanyluigis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I got a switch at 5.0.2 and a copper jig ready for when CFW gets released.
But besides that my switch is completely vanilla nothing has been done on it.

How exactly do you run this?

bluedart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got homebrew working today on my 4.1.0 switch and this is a neat little goober. I was sad to find out all the emulators apparently don't work for 4-5, but at least this is a cool proof of concept. I put Pokémon crystal on there and played for a few minutes. I saved and pressed x, then restarted the program. It not only saved properly but somehow it actually knew how much time had elapsed when I closed and re-opened it. Neat. The sound is seriously crusty, but it's neat that Pokémon is even running on my switch. Thanks bro.

Oh, also, don't be a little stinker like I was and put the system into sleep mode while this is running, it straight freezes and you have to power-cycle it.

Bedel

The key of the blade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, also, don't be a little stinker like I was and put the system into sleep mode while this is running, it straight freezes and you have to power-cycle it.
It's a CFW related problem. It's in the main post. Sometimes you just have to read.

jakibaki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I got a switch at 5.0.2 and a copper jig ready for when CFW gets released.
But besides that my switch is completely vanilla nothing has been done on it.

How exactly do you run this?
Follow this tutorial and then put the nro-file in the switch-folder on your sd. After that it should appear in the homebrew launcher

Last edited by jakibaki,

Bedel

The key of the blade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just re-read the main post on THIS thread and no such limitation is mentioned.

Either way, I mostly expected it to crash, therefore "stinker."
Read in the main post of the tutorial about the CFW xD Being a CFW problem, I do not see why it should be here

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021