GBC Emulator port - khedgb (works on 5.0)

If you're having trouble with this (or don't want to deal with the problems it has) I recommend following this tutorial to play gb/gbc games in the excelent vba-next port.

Since retroarch isn't working on anything higher then 3.0 right now I ported the gameboy color emulator khedgb to the nintendo switch. (Works on all versions as far as I know)

Right now it doesn't have many features but it's enough to finally enjoy pokemon on the nintendo switch :)

XGjBm3Y.jpg

cBSLImA.jpg

Simply put the rom into sd:/switch/roms/gbc and start the homebrew.

This emulator can't detect when you used the ingame save-feature so you'll have to press the X-button every time after using the in-game save feature. Otherwise the save will get lost after restarting the emulator!

Please don't expect too much from this, I just made this so I could play pokemon and it's not going to get many features.

As soon as retroarch gets updated for 5.0 this will instantly become obsolete.

source (you need the sdl2-libraries from the devkit-pro pacman to build this)

DOWNLOAD

UPDATE:
Added audio support and proper scaling! (Many thanks @cpasjuste for the scaling-hint!)
UPDATE2:
Fixed a bug where after saving the game for a few times the emulator would crash.
UPDATE3:
Added joycon-analog-stick-support!
UPDATE4:
Removed the debug log.
UPDATE5:
Added a simple file picker! You can now play multiple roms :)
UPDATE6:
Audio is much better now (not perfect yet though). Many thanks to @renhei for the fix-suggestion!
UPDATE7:
Changed rompath from sd:/switch/roms to sd:/switch/roms/gbc in order to avoid confusion with the gba emulator. Also double joycons now work in unattached mode!

Attachments

• khedgb.nro.zip
    641 KB · Views: 2,113
Last edited by jakibaki,
D

Deletedmember448668

Hey awesome man. I'm debating on using rcm again but a snes emulator working on 5.0+ would possibly make me do it. Not sure how long it took you to do this, but could you possibly do it for the snes emulator as well? That would be amazing

Reactions: Proto-Propski
D

Deleted User

Keep that homebrew a coming! (window size changing would be nice though :P)

jakibaki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Keep that homebrew a coming! (window size changing would be nice though :P)
The emulator I based it of is pretty slow. If I set the size higher it doesn't run at full fps anymore :/

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hey awesome man. I'm debating on using rcm again but a snes emulator working on 5.0+ would possibly make me do it. Not sure how long it took you to do this, but could you possibly do it for the snes emulator as well? That would be amazing
If I have the time (and patience) I'll look into it :)

No promises though.

Leonidas87

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
Do you have extensions visible? If not try renaming it rom instead of rom.gbc
Wow that did not work either. Really weird, changing it to just rom converted it from a gbc file.

I'm trying another game quickly.

What games have you run?

It is really weird and to know someone else will probably have the same issue. I really do not understand why it's not opening the rom. It's in the correct location, tried on 4.1.0 and 5.0.2 same result. Tried 3 pokemon games no go. Files named correctly also.

jakibaki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wow that did not work either. Really weird, changing it to just rom converted it from a gbc file.

I'm trying another game quickly.

What games have you run?

It is really weird and to know someone else will probably have the same issue. I really do not understand why it's not opening the rom. It's in the correct location, tried on 4.1.0 and 5.0.2 same result. Tried 3 pokemon games no go. Files named correctly also.

I just tried a pokemon crystal romhack so pokemon gold will most likely work. The rom you tried doesn't matter since on your switch the emulator didn't even manage to open the rom at all.

Could you please try this updated build?

Attachments

• khedgb.nro.zip
    638.9 KB · Views: 340
Last edited by jakibaki,

Leonidas87

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
I just tried a pokemon crystal romhack so pokemon gold will most likely work. The rom you tried doesn't matter since on your switch the emulator didn't even manage to open the rom at all.

Black and white lol it booted up.

That's a start.

Says super Gameboy Mode wasn't selected, but the game supports it (--sign to activate)

What's that?

And can Colour be enabled again?

Great work getting it to load
Could you please try this updated build?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1