Homebrew GBC emulation on the old 3DS

Doomsday

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello.
I'm looking for stable emulation on gameboy color games, particularly pokemon romhacks, for the old 3DS.

I've tried the 3DS gameyob, but it stutters a ton, especially on sound. I read a comment on reddit by the main dev himself who said the NDS version is better, but I'm not sure if that's been ported as-is.
Reading from random threads here and there, I've also heard of Retroarch/Gambatte, but it seems they stutter a lot on the o3ds much like gameyob does.

VC Injection works decently enough, but in the case of Pokémon Prism in particular, half of the pokemon cries are messed up (I've been told it's because it uses something called DED and that causes problems).
Other games i've tried seem to work well via injection. However everywhere I read, people tell me VC is riddled with issues so I'd like to know if there are any better alternatives than those I listed.

In case it isn't apparent, I'm very much a newbie when it comes to homebrewing so I'd appreciate clear and simple answers. Either way, I can google stuff if needed.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Doomsday

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Download Twilightmenu. It comes with gameyob. Point it to the directory that has your GBC ROMs. Select game. Enjoy.

Yep for some reason the DS version in Twilightmenu works way better than the 3ds version of gameyob

Wow lol, for some reason it never occured to me to even try and load the roms on TWmenu. I even have the roms in the same folder...

Unfortunately the Prism sound problems remain in this version, so I'm guessing it's just something the old 3DS can't reproduce. I think I might try and take RetroArch for a spin, just to see how well it does, but either way thank you very much for your help, this certainly works :)

Reactions: AmandaRose

Doomsday

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You can also try mGBA. It had GBC support for a good while now.

Thank you, might try that.

The op said in their first post they have tried this but prism is missing sound effects.

Yes, that's my only problem with injection. Although I also appreciate that other methods of emulating bring more to the table like save states, scaling filters, etc. In fact, I feel bad that gameyob 3DS doesn't work properly because it's the only one so far that has a very good looking scale filter.

Rj.MoG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I emulate GBC through GBA Goomba Color and inject each rom individually using that command line GBA tool to set the save type. The battery life is much better and the compatibility works for the vast majority of games and pokemon romhacks besides Crystal Clear.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: or well somewhat