Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
SpikeyNDS said:
Thanks for the review. Ordered the Navy replacement case from WiiRoom since it's a no show on DX. Have some parts missing and the screen is broken, but thankfully hankchill will repair the screen for me.
yaynds.gif

i'm confused are you saying the replacement case your ordered from wiiroom has missing parts? or are you saying you ordered the replacement case because your original nds has missing parts?

if it is the first we all need to know that.

-another world

thieves like us

chaos personified
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
SpikeyNDS said:
Thanks for the review. Ordered the Navy replacement case from WiiRoom since it's a no show on DX. Have some parts missing and the screen is broken, but thankfully hankchill will repair the screen for me.
yaynds.gif

i'm confused are you saying the replacement case your ordered from wiiroom has missing parts? or are you saying you ordered the replacement case because your original nds has missing parts?

if it is the first we all need to know that.

-another world
Another World:
it sounds as if spikeyNDS may have dropped his ds lite and broke it and lost some parts. and in addition to a broken screen (that he's also going to have fixed), that the replacement case kit will take care of the parts that he's currently missing.

I've added 4 more pictures of another completed swap over. I performed the change after the review was posted for a friend with one of the dealextreme.com transparent cases (blue), and I'm really pleased with the results.

additionally, dealextreme has provided direct links to all of the cases that they offer which were covered in the review. these can be found at the bottom in the "where to purchase" section.

[posts merged by Sinkhead]

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
ItsMetaKnight said:
BTW, isn't it illegal to sell cases that look like official limited editions?

i was just thinking that the gold zelda ds lite looks exactly like the original gold zelda ds lite lol, why didn't they have a pokemon diamond and pikachu one? (apart from the yellow caing just being yellow)

ItsMetaKnight

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
PharaohsVizier said:
ItsMetaKnight said:
The Pikachu one is really bad. You can see the speakers right through it. The original is much thicker, so you won't see anything behind it...

BTW, isn't it illegal to sell cases that look like official limited editions?

Isn't it illegal to sell pirated games?

I don't think it is much of an issue, if anything, they'll just say, who said anything about replacement cases, they are just colored pieces of plastic!
yes it's illegal to sell pirated games duh

but still, that pikachu one definitely looks wrong and cheap. i wouldnt get it...

thieves like us

chaos personified
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
taking orders? not per say, however I do have a few shells left over that I'd be willing to part with. I'm also offering the service of performing the swap (see my thread in the trading section of gbatemp.net >>here

redundant

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm I have swapped out a couple cases before and I must agree that it is a pain in the ass, but if you take your time and just try to look at the guides you should be ok. The main problem I had was the damn triggers...I was putting them in trigger first instead of spring first and the tension would always pop them out when the case was on haha. Also the screw tap for the battery cover is difficult to manipulate. Has anybody purchased a case from ebay seller kk-tech? They are selling a red case pictured here http://tinyurl.com/4q49e7 , and I am a sucker for red, especially a gloss one.

94dan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've received the replacement case. No unmarked white box, it's in plastic packaging. It appears to have all the parts.

Should I examine anything for you, thieves?

thieves like us

chaos personified
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
94dan said:
I've received the replacement case. No unmarked white box, it's in plastic packaging. It appears to have all the parts.

Should I examine anything for you, thieves?
the three easiest things to check to see if clearxbox.com has changed anything are the following:
- try and use the outer upper shell half of the clear case with the inner upper and see how easy the pieces fit together (in addition to how the slot line up) compared to what I posted in the review.
- check the amount of play of the d-pad and the power and volume switches. in the kits that I received, all 3 pieces fit tight (opposed to having some play and being able to move/slide easily like the original EOM parts).
- check to see how easily and well the 2 halves of the lower case fit together. they should [snap] together relatively easily and fit like a glove without any force requiring to hold them in place.

thieves like us

chaos personified
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
i would love to see your review expanded with a 'how to' section, complete with pictures and videos.
I may create a new "how to swap cases" tutorial when I perform the next case swap for someone, updating the current one that I did about a year ago.

it will probably end up becoming a version 2.0 of what's out there now (higher resolution images and potentially more detailed instructions). there are a few areas specifically that I know of that I can probably expound on better having performed about 10 case swaps to date.

striker66

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm in the market to purchase a case and was trying to determine which is best to get and was going to go for Shock! until I read the review here. Thank you for this excellent review.

I also found this one site that claims to be selling "super shell". I wonder what is the quality like. Link to the product is HERE

masvill20

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys! I'm actually interested in the WiiRoom cases because my DS's right hinge just cracked recently. Where would I be able to find instructions for the disassembly of the DS for the kit? Does it come with the kit itself? And is it easy to follow as long as you stick to the directions?

thieves like us

chaos personified
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
nds-central.com has a flickr page set up that has disassembly instructions and I created a webpage on how to disassemble the lower portion about a year or so ago.

nds-central's instructions can be found off of their site, and my page is linked at the bottom of the review. just read my comments concerning dis- and re-assembly and take your time!

edit:
as soon as I take delivery of another system to mod for some (as long as it's a non-black system), I'll update my webpage disassembly instructions.
the gloss black, cobalt/black and crimson/black systems are too dark to capture a lot of the details that I want to show when I post an updated version. I've had a few requests to supply larger [clickable] images as well, which I'll also take into consideration.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very nice review, i always woner about the quality of them and if they have the clear plastic over the color...
thx

lewjay

Trophies
XP
Country
Left hinge on my case is cracked..so probably need to replace the case if it gets worse. The smoked one looks cool.

SchuchWun

Trophies
Website
videogamehackers.ca
XP
Country
Canada
Great review! I have been contemplating a new case for my girls DS cause she wanted the pink one and I might get a clear one. Prices are reasonable too. I will be staying away from the cheapo cases for sure

blueskies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great review, I ended up buying the transparent smoke black case from dx.
A small tip for anyone taking apart their ds lite.. be CAREFUL with the small 4 wire touchscreen connector when taking out the main board. I didn't realize how fragile that piece is, and now it's broken off completely. I've tried reconnecting it, and resoldering the whole thing, but the connections are too small, and now my ds is touch-screen-less. I'm super bummed.
Glad I still have my old blue phatDS to play on.
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Giganutz