GBAtemp's Christmas Cheer Competition RESULTS!

Zim05

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Darn... I knew i didn't have a chance
frown.gif
now ill never get a flash card.

Congrats to the winners

JBates

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm. i'm kind of wondering what the judges thought of my entry. i guess i was going for the sort of criteria that sinkhead mentioned: didn't have to look the best but had a good main idea. i'm guessing it just didn't measure up to all the photoshop stuff and the fact that it didn't look like i spent much time on it.

gbatempcontestqc2.png

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I voted based on what tickled my fancy.
If it made me laugh it got a point, if it wowed me it got a point, if it was clever or witty it got a point, and so on.

A lot of good entries though, made it really hard to decide which to pick.

James B.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I voted based on what tickled my fancy.
If it made me laugh it got a point, if it wowed me it got a point, if it was clever or witty it got a point, and so on.

A lot of good entries though, made it really hard to decide which to pick.

then mine must have been at the top of your list
tongue.gif

laugh.gif

anyway, pretty pissed that I lost, but meh, some of the winning entries were very good :].

gbatempxmasxc2.jpg

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I took a different approach to voting than most of the other staff...
  • If it didn't look great, it didn't matter. It's the thought and originality that counts
Anyway, I'm sure there will be more competitionsÂ
smile.gif
Might as well rant then, nothing to lose.

Mine was the original, but then an entry very similar to mine took first place(except it was drawn, and you guys said we didn't need to have artistic skills). I found it frustrating when the judges picked out the pretty entries, AND when they picked out duplicates(holographs from the two ds screens... 3 of those won) especially since they said originality was encouraged. Not everyone has graphic skills so it isn't fair to pick out the well-drawn and leave the more original ideas behind, especially when you said that we didn't need good drawing skills or photoshop skills to enter.
frown.gif

I blogged about this, but none of you read it(since no one knows about it) but you guys need to have competitions that aren't graphic. We could try to make a song for gbatemp. We could make a movie about gbatemp. We could make a gbatemp game(thestump in do you love gbatemp compo).

I'm probably not entering any more graphic compos(or any compos for that matter) since they will lead to more frustration. Instead I will spam my referral link and hope I get enough points for a replacement flashcart :'(

And now I watch as every competition from now on will be graphic. I don't blame you. After all, as history will tell us, who cares what the minority thinks?

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
In any case, and as we are friends around here I seriously think there shouldn't be any explanations about picking the winners.
You will never be able to actually make everyone happy.

The best thing you can do is to actually make it as transparent as possible (if you can).

But one positive thing is that there is a lot of feedback on posts like Linki's.

ShadowStitch

Devilot's Tubtoy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, come on now guys. Seriously.

I realize that, best case scenario, you're going to scoff at me speaking up (because I was unexpectedly one of the winners,) worst case scenario you're just going to get pissy towards me...but you have to remember, this competition wasn't about pitting man against man in a bloodthirsty battle for a prize; it was just supposed to be a fun, friendly little contest to promote creativity and christmas spirit in the community. Yet a shocking percentage of the posts I've read since the contest ended have been people complaining and griping and generally getting butthurt because they didn't get a free kit.
cry.gif

For one, stop being sore losers. There were a couple entries that I personally liked which didn't make the cut, and yes, some I felt probably didn't deserve to win...but it wasn't my place to judge, because it wasn't my contest. Grow up a little and have the graciousness to accept the mods' decisions instead of griefing them over things they've already decided upon. There's no point in trying to make them feel bad -- it's not going to magically materialize a shiny new toy for you, and it's just going to make you look childish. You don't have to congratulate the winners, you don't have to agree with the decisions, and you certainly don't have to like it, but there's no call for getting all bent out of shape and whining about the unfairness of something intended to be a good-natured competition. Besides, if you were only in it to win swag, then you were playing for the wrong reasons. Try congratulating your fellows for their many excellent entries instead of bitching and moaning about your loss.
grog.gif

If you really want a flashcart badly enough to waste effort crying martyrdom and entitlement, go pick up a few extra overtime hours at your job, or find some other creative way to earn a few bucks one weekend, and you can easily buy any flashcart you like. I'm sure no poor souls here are suffering because of their lack of video games. (And honestly, you can't brag in sigs or tally up the expensive gifts you got and expect to somehow make people feel sorry for you because you didn't win.)
dry.gif

The mods were just trying to do something nice in the spirit of the holidays, and acting childish on the forums here isn't going to do anything but make them think twice about ever running this kind of contest again. It's not worth all this, people! Grow up and deal with it!
lecture.gif

...now, back to playing pokemon.
nyanya.gif

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
You can gripe if you want. It's ok to be disappointed. Despite what you might think, and as I've already explained in this thread... well, here, lemme put it another way...

Yngwie Malmsteen is a very proficient guitarist whom some worship as a god for his insane, almost super-human abilities. That guy can run up and down the neck 12 times a second without flubbing a single note.

I think he sucks.

Truly, I'd rather listen to The Shaggs butchering Paper Roses than hear Yngwie's most elaborate musical masterpiece.

Any.. Day.. Of.. The.. Week.

All the judges got to vote on their top 10 and their next-to-the-top ten, and runners-up howevermany. A simple point-based ranking system was set up, and there was one tie-breaker. There were 12 judges involved, each judge had their own criteria in tow, and even though me and Ace Gunman are virtually identical twins (brain-warpage wise anyway) even me and him had wildly differing lists.

We were monkeys at a typewriters. All entries had a chance to win... seriously. If you didn't win, you may just as well attribute it to bad luck, that'll get you just as logically far as anything else you might come up with.

All that said.. it's perfectly fine to bitch about it if it'll make you feel better, and if you don't want to enter the next contest, then you can be assured that you won't win it.

Sorry if I sound a little bitchy myself, I don't mean to be. My initial intent was just to re-iterate my previous explanatory post, and let people know that they shouldn't be dissuaded from entering the next contest based on a little griping here. There's always gonna be a little griping, and that's ok.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I agree with pretty much everything ShadowStitch says...

I didn't enter this compo because I have enough self-insight to know I don't have what it takes (Maybe not talent-wise... I'm pretty average in my oppinion). The orginality, and mixing the themes into what I make: that's something I'm just not good at and don't have any patience (nor time) to do.. So therefore I didn't enter.

Oh well... People need to grow up if they whine after losing in a compo.

PS.
I did some very small whinings before, when I lost in the Club house games-tournament because of a bug... and I was leading my group, when the balance board game came... I was the first to place my brick.... i lower my stylus, put it down against the screen, holds it there because I am going to drag it to the centre... but as soon as my stylus touches the screen, the brick falls right down.... and because of that, I lost
frown.gif

and the winner in my group was the winner of the whole competition... now wasn't that something i was a bit sad for?
tongue.gif

laminaatplaat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can gripe if you want. It's ok to be disappointed. Despite what you might think, and as I've already explained in this thread... well, here, lemme put it another way...

Yngwie Malmsteen is a very proficient guitarist whom some worship as a god for his insane, almost super-human abilities. That guy can run up and down the neck 12 times a second without flubbing a single note.

I think he sucks.

Truly, I'd rather listen to The Shaggs butchering Paper Roses than hear Yngwie's most elaborate musical masterpiece.

Any.. Day.. Of.. The.. Week.

All the judges got to vote on their top 10 and their next-to-the-top ten, and runners-up howevermany. A simple point-based ranking system was set up, and there was one tie-breaker. There were 12 judges involved, each judge had their own criteria in tow, and even though me and Ace Gunman are virtually identical twins (brain-warpage wise anyway) even me and him had wildly differing lists.

We were monkeys at a typewriters. All entries had a chance to win... seriously. If you didn't win, you may just as well attribute it to bad luck, that'll get you just as logically far as anything else you might come up with.

All that said.. it's perfectly fine to bitch about it if it'll make you feel better, and if you don't want to enter the next contest, then you can be assured that you won't win it.

Sorry if I sound a little bitchy myself, I don't mean to be. My initial intent was just to re-iterate my previous explanatory post, and let people know that they shouldn't be dissuaded from entering the next contest based on a little griping here. There's always gonna be a little griping, and that's ok.

...So why didnt I win?
laugh.gif

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
each judge had their own criteria

This.

That was my original post idea.

the judges needed to conform to costellos guidelines he set for the competition and not ignore them

Here are the guidelines (posted by shaunJ btw) for the comp. Please let me know what guidelines we didn't conform to.

To be in with a chance to win 1 of the 20 DSTT kits we're asking our members to do this:
Submit a GRAPHIC in a reply to this thread. This can be almost anything; be it a photo, drawing, a digital drawing etc... The only rules are: it needs to be GBAtemp related (or have some kind of reference to GBAtemp in it, simply to ensure you didn't just steal the image from another source/website) and to be Christmas/winter holiday themed. For example; a Holiday greeting like a photo of yourself indoors, outdoors, with or without family and/or friends, you could be celebrating Christmas traditionally or the GBAtemp way! Be creative! You'll have a better chance at winning the more the graphic puts a smile on our faces!

I'm trying to understand what's working you up about this, but so far it escapes me.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
People are actually getting worked up about not winning?
wink2.gif

That's not very cool. We appreciate all the entries we received of course, but I don't think people who complain that they didn't win understand what the competition was about. It doesn't really show a Christmas spirit when people complain about not getting something we go out of our way to offer for free.

My two cents.
(Yes a lot of entries were really cool, it was very tough to choose the winners, but we've made a decision. That's that.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.