GBAtemp Tournament Week - join us for fun game tournaments and prizes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
VdYYcub.png

Hey there, everyone! How's quarantine life suiting you? Settle in with some nice games to pass the time, yet? As fun as having unexpected days off can be, the circumstances behind it can be a little stressful, so the lovely staff here at GBAtemp have decided to help out by hosting some fun tournaments for everyone stuck at home these next few weeks! Starting tomorrow, we'll be kicking off two whole weeks of exciting game nights to allow for as many people as possible to join in. And we've got prizes to offer for each and every day, too!

March 23rd - Street Fighter V

It all begins tomorrow, and our first game tournament will focus on Street Fighter V--but don't worry if you're not into it, because we've got a whole bunch of other games scheduled, like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Overwatch, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and Rocket League! And fear not, banned Switch users, because we're dedicating two of the days to LAN-Play, so you can join in, too!

As previously mentioned, we'll be running a tournament for Street Fighter V. It'll kick off at noon (12pm) central time. That's two hours ahead of PT, one behind ET, and 5pm GMT. The best at inputting those quarter circles and crazy combos to come out on top will net themselves $10 gift card, how fun!

March 24th - Mario Kart 7

Following up on that will give players a chance to dust off their Nintendo 3DS, or to join in on the fun even if they don't have a Nintendo Switch, and jump back into the racing mayhem of Mario Kart 7! We'll keep this timeslot more open, to see how many people are interested, before we decide on a time that best suits everyone. Whoever manages to dodge the onslaught of Blue Shells and banana peels will walk away with a prize of $15!

March 25th - Rocket League

Prepare your engines, because Wednesday is Rocket League! Singles matches will take place in a competition bracket, where we'll find out which one of us here is the best at hitting balls with an R/C car! We're starting to up the ante, because whoever wins first place will get $20!

March 26th - Pokemon Showdown

The festivities continue into Thursday, March 26th, with Pokemon Showdown. If you don't own Sword/Shield, or you're not into paying for Switch Online, then this is your chance to shine, Pokemon masters! We'll be playing with some wacky rules too: National Dex AG. That's right--pure madness. If you prefer more vanilla style rulesets, then join us for the Sword/Shield tournament day, which we'll discuss in just a bit!

March 27th - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (LAN-play edition)

Get ready for more racing mayhem on Friday, with a LAN-play tournament for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe! Banned Switch users unite! If you need help setting up LAN-play, you can learn more in the official thread.

March 28th - Overwatch

For those that prefer not to play on a Nintendo console, banned or not, or just want a different genre, then we'll also have an Overwatch tournament for everyone to enjoy! We'll queue entrants up in 1v1 matches, to see who's got the best sharpshooting skills to win a sweet 25 bucks.

March 29th - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

On Sunday, it's Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 2: Electric Boogaloo, featuring legitimate online play. This is for all you Nintendo Switch Online subscribers out there. We'll race it up in multiple matches until we get the best racers and find a winner, with a tantalizing $30 gift card as the take-home prize.

March 30th - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (LAN-play edition)

If you've been wanting to take your stress out by playing some Smash Bros. you'll be able to settle things in smash on Monday, with our Switch Super Smash Bros. tourney, feat. banned Switches and a reward of $50 to the best fighter!

March 31st - Pokemon Sword and Shield

Have you been raising your Pokemon well? Build a great team in the latest generation of the games? We hope so, because you'll be putting your favorites to the test in a Pokemon Sword and Shield tournament, to decide who wins $50!

April 1st - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Wednesday might be April Fools, but our prize is no joke. Join us for a Super Smash Bros. Ultimate tournament, which will decide GBAtemp’s best Smash player! For this one, we wanna see a ton of people join in, so we’ll be hosting this event for four days, after which we’ll settle it in Smash, for real, giving a $70 gift card to the winner of the four-day extravaganza! Not to mention, the winner of each day’s qualifying rounds will net themselves a $10 gift card, to boot!

Final Competition - Animal Crossing: New Horizons home design

The last event will be Animal Crossing themed! By April 5th, all our Animal Crossing players will have had plenty of time to build up their island, and prettify their home. But who here is the greatest decorator? We'll find out in an adorable competition, where you get to send us a picture of your Animal Crossing: New Horizons home, to which our staff and patrons will decide who's got the best-looking house! We've got 20 bells--er dollars, to give away to the winner! You can submit your picture via PM at any point during the two-week period!

We'll have more specific rulesets or relevant information updated within the thread at the start of the day for each competition, so stay tuned! We hope this gets everyone pumped up, and that we can all join in together for a fun community event! We're also open to ideas, or to just gauge what times would work best, to get the most amount of users involved! Let us know which events you'd be interested in joining in on, so we can get a rough estimate of how many people to prepare for! :yay:

Update: The GBAtemp servers have been experiencing slowdown lately. Sorry to let you know, but we'll be migrating the servers during this time, instead of holding a game tournament. We'll be back up and running as soon as you know it, though, and we'll be holding the exact same competitions as stated in the original post, just a few days later than expected! Apologies for the confusion! Feel free to discuss the idea in the interim!

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Wait, wut?
Mario Kart 7's on the list, because I know a lot of people might still be holding onto their 3DS, and haven't moved onto the Switch yet. I thought it'd be nice not to leave those kinda people out. Most of these games are Switch focused, by contrast.

Are AC:NH houses made using save hacking or houses made in AC:NL in general permitted?
Admittedly, it's going to be a little difficult to tell if your house was hacked. I mean, it's theoretically possible to upgrade your house to a mansion in two weeks, if you're a fishing maniac and get tons of money. Unless your house is a gold-lined palace with bell bags lying on the floor and coelecanths everywhere, well, we'll leave it up to discretion. Unless a huge amount of people vye for ACNL to be included, I'd like to keep it to the new game only.

SkittleDash

Head Nurse
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Mario Kart 7's on the list, because I know a lot of people might still be holding onto their 3DS, and haven't moved onto the Switch yet. I thought it'd be nice not to leave those kinda people out. Most of these games are Switch focused, by contrast.

I misread... I'm an idiot. Ignore me. lol

Reactions: Chary

Rioluwott

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
i may join to the mario kart 7 tournament since i don't have a switch and i use my 3ds a lot
also i want to know how good are gbatemp users at smash ultimate will there be any way to see a stream of this? or atleast a way to see the matches afterward

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
i may join to the mario kart 7 tournament since i don't have a switch and i use my 3ds a lot
also i want to know how good are gbatemp users at smash ultimate will there be any way to see a stream of this? or atleast a way to see the matches afterward
The smash ones will be streamed on our twitch channel, and hopefully a few other games as well :)

Reactions: MajinCubyan

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fun idea! Won't be participating, but I will always be happy seeing more of Shaunj's cartoony floating Tempy head on the site.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, hold up. There was a street fighter tournament and no one tagged me? :blink:

I want do over. :nayps3:

Also when's sega sonic allstar racing? Too much mario kart love. :ph34r:

And also Puyo Puyo tetris. :ninja:

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ohh, a tournament !
*check game lists* I don't have any of them. too bad.
Good luck to all participants, after the server migration is complete.

I'll go train at Wipeout omega hoping one day there'll be a tournament.
There are still tracks I'm really bad at.

Last edited by Cyan,

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
A quick word to clarify and to apologize for the confusion: at the time the tournaments were decided, we had already noticed slowdowns but we thought we could easily address them by monitoring and identifying the issues. Turns out the site slowdowns are likely to be caused by the current server that isn't powerful enough, so we have decided we need to migrate to a better one.
Instead of maintaining the tournaments at the same date and risking to compromise them either because of slowdowns or because of migration downtime, we decided to postpone them by a few days.
Shit happens :) we're working on it, expect the slowdowns to be solved soon.

Reactions: relauby
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: How are you @AncientBoi :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: