GBAtemp's Acekard R.P.G. Review

azotyp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
Only one thing I dont like in acekard is that before buying i thought that this sticker is from thin metal (it looked like that on acekard website), but after buying it i discover it was only sticker
frown.gif
, but with recent updates this could be something big in the future).

Jaejae

Superfly Don't Used
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
Heh, finally the review is up, it's a good one though, so all is forgiven.I would definitely consider this worthy of Gold once a few more updates come out.
Hardware wise, it is brilliant, it's just the loader that is lacking.

DavePS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I recently got my acekard, and i have encountered one problem. i trimmed the rom with tokyotrim, and soft reset doesnt work , 100% doesnt work. and acekard have not released a trimmer that is compatible with their soft reset, the built-in might work, but its too dam slow
frown.gif
and the cheats are hard to use, and its not all that fast : ( i recommend waiting for more updates before you buy it, you never know

Soft reset works fine on games I have trimmed. Cannot comment on Tokyotrim, I use my own program. It might be the one game rather than the trimmer?

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
If I were to rate the rpg right now, i'd agree with the silver rating. But i think it is getting very close to gold, and could be there in the next few updates.

I'm glad you agree with the review score. I'd also have to agree with you that it's very close to getting a Gold award but is just a few _hopeful_ updates away.
smile.gif

cheers
grog.gif

they were slow at releasing updates at first, but things are looking up.

in a space of 2 odd weeks, it's gained cheat support, download play fix and soft reset (all work reasonable but none are perfect).
And i was very pleased with the last update which changed how brightness settings were saved
smile.gif

it even seems like some devs are taking advantage of the open source (although little has been released; some 3in1 support is about it).

But 'hopeful' is the key word here
unsure.gif
smile.gif

leetcakes

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bahrain
Dave, is your trimmer released for public? if yes, please tell me the name, and soft reset doesnt work for the 8 games i tried in my acekard, all trimmed with tokyo

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
soft reset has worked for most of the games on my rpg, and all my games are trimmed by tokyotrim.

1 or 2 didn't work.

DavePS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No my trim proggy isn't public, its too rough and ready for the public consumption!

You sure that you have enabled soft reset in the special menu?

Give us a list of the games that don't work and some of us could maybe try them?

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sounds like a nice solid cart that does the job. It's just too bad the open source hasn't really taken off.

Once this had 100% download play I'll consider getting it if my R4 breaks
biggrin.gif

Kingwad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
This looks like the card I've been looking for, except for the big black stain of no DSLinux. After all, I do quite a bit of my development on DSLinux through ssh to code and build and scp to load onto the flashcard. I've never really been fond of R4's "skip the firmware" boot method since I do a fair amount of DL play with my wife. I always have to pop out the card if I've just been coding. Small gripe, I know. Plus, open source appeals to me...

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
ah yes. DSlinux loads, but then experiences kernel panic.

they know of the problem, but i don't think they're trying to fix it atm.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This looks like the card I've been looking for, except for the big black stain of no DSLinux. After all, I do quite a bit of my development on DSLinux through ssh to code and build and scp to load onto the flashcard. I've never really been fond of R4's "skip the firmware" boot method since I do a fair amount of DL play with my wife. I always have to pop out the card if I've just been coding. Small gripe, I know. Plus, open source appeals to me...
If you code then the RPG is perfect for you IMO. You can fix your own problems like DSLinux not booting and take the firmware into your own hands. Kind of makes you feel like you ARE the team. The RPG community, if it even exists yet, needs some coders to take off. Some people need to step up or the open source idea will never really start.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
yes. the only diff running from nand and sd is the dldi file used. the problem with dslinux isnt the dldi father, rather something else with the booting.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
yes, no difference.

ps: someone made a topic on the acekard forums about it, but nothing new heard yet,

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Jaejae

Superfly Don't Used
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
Yep, I figured it wouldn't make a difference.
I seldom use the AceKard forums, it was enough of a shitfight just getting registered.
Edit: The self contained binary spits out an error message, but does work.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yep, I figured it wouldn't make a difference.
I seldom use the AceKard forums, it was enough of a shitfight just getting registered.
Edit: The self contained binary spits out an error message, but does work.
They need to fix the real Binary as that is really the whole point of DSLinux and the most of its features.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9kE3Env_2AY?si=Bs6lUZ0ZIlqmYaGT