GBAtemp's Acekard R.P.G. Review

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by shaunj66, Dec 11, 2007.

Dec 11, 2007
  1. shaunj66
    OP

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    GBAtemp's Acekard R.P.G. Review
    Official GBAtemp Review
    [​IMG]Â[​IMG]
    The GBAtemp.net Review of the Acekard R.P.G. is now online!

After a ten month hiatus the Acekard team are back with their latest creation - the Acekard R.P.G. (R.P.G. standing for Real Play Gear). The Acekard R.P.G. is the first DS flash kit to offer both 1GB of internal flash memory and support for Micro SD/SDHC cards and is also the first commercial flash cart to go open source. The team's first effort, the original Acekard, was not received very well due to some limitations and bugs. Have the team learned from their mistakes? Is the Acekard R.P.G. worthy of your attention? Read on to find out.

Please leave your feedback and comments in this thread. I hope you enjoy the review!

[​IMG] GBAtemp Acekard R.P.G. Review
    [​IMG] Official Acekard website

2. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    I was suprised to see this. To be honest i completely forgot about the acekard RPG.
    Good review shaunj.

3. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    Are you sure about the download play?

EDIT: I'm just fairly sure that there complaints about it needing to be fixed (to an unflashed DS)

4. DjoeN

Member DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    Nice Review.

I think the biggest problem is the lack of updates of the open source compared to there latest release (it's not equal updated)
    Also the lack of advertisment and the lack of handing samples to homebrew programmers / ppl with knowledge to customize the kernel

5. shaunj66
    OP

United Kingdom
    I was testing it from flashed DS (host) > unflashed DS (receiver). Every game I tried so far worked fine [​IMG]

6. DjoeN

Member DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    I wonder how many ppl still flashme there DS ?

If today new DS generation users don't flash there ds, cause there's really no need to, then the whole download play compatibility between flashed DS and non flashed DS get's pointless.

I still have my DS flashed, but i really don't know why, to lazy to unflash maybe [​IMG]

7. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    Because unflashing is dangerous and FlashMe doesn't have any negative points other than bricking the DS while flashing?

8. jidan1

Newcomer jidan1 Newbie

United States
    how about linkage with wii? geometry & pokemon

9. martin88

Member martin88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Wow this card seems great! Better than the G6Real I'd say.

I think I'll get one. Anyone know any Canadian site where I can buy one?

10. azotyp

Member azotyp GBAtemp Maniac

Poland
    I didnt liked that cheap looking sticker so i riped it off [​IMG] , but now with soft reset this is quite good cart, but not the best one in the market.

11. IBNobody

Member IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

United States
    Thanks for posting the review. I've been waiting on it to decide on what card to buy next. It sounds like I'll be passing on this.

Where is the description of the star awards you are using now?

12. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    After updated your loader, keep your SAVELISTEX.BIN !!!

also download play is currently not perfect! close, but there are one or 2 problems reported in the acekard forum.

savetype detection is not quite 100%, rather around 98%

13. Raisingod

Member Raisingod GBAtemp Fan

Israel
    I have to comment about the open source :

1) there is some modification to the loader ( integrated 3 In 1 Loader seem to be something thats in the works/ has been done)
    2) The reason why most dev wouldn't code for the flash cart seem to be that they aren't really intersted in doing so( GBADEV post about it was mostly full with " nice but why should I change the code {except for removing commercial rom support}")

Also the source code is commented in an understandable english its just under commented for begginer ds coders also the code is "update friendly" as the GUI seems to be built like modern GUI engines ( For me it looks like a low featured QT) .

P.S.

There is a release of a forum user in the AK forum that allows you to run GBA through the loader WHEN THE EZV 3IN 1 IS CONNECTED

14. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    Ugh a big fat Hynix chip, that always screams bad quality to me. But Hynix does make some good chips I'm sure. Overall I'd say gold for the review, not sure why you guys put silver [​IMG] Maybe I should test m3 real with the slowdown tests and see why. I heard m3 real eliminates those problems but it remains to be seen.

15. recover

Member recover GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    I am soooooo getting this and selling my R4.
    I don't need the features that don't exist yet and I'm confident they'll ship sooner or later [​IMG]

16. saxamo

Member saxamo Spaaaaace!

United States
    I feel like i'm in the stone age with my loyal passcard and G6 lite. I was going to get a g6 Real out of brand loyalty, but this cart blows it out of the water. I mean, onboard AND expandable memory. No rom patching (i'm on linux and this was a pain to set up) is beautiful.

Probably the thing that takes the cake is the open source. All aformentioned problems could be potentially worked on by third parties.

My only question is if it reads .0 save files like those used in G6...?

17. h8uthemost

Member h8uthemost GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Wow, finally. It took a long time to get the review, but it was worth the wait. It's very informative.

And yeah, I think this is going to be my next cart. I'm kind of impressed by it by now. As long as some US retailers will carry, then I'm going to get one.

Thanks for the review.

18. leetcakes

Member leetcakes GBAtemp Regular

Belize
    I recently got my acekard, and i have encountered one problem. i trimmed the rom with tokyotrim, and soft reset doesnt work , 100% doesnt work. and acekard have not released a trimmer that is compatible with their soft reset, the built-in might work, but its too dam slow [​IMG] and the cheats are hard to use, and its not all that fast : ( i recommend waiting for more updates before you buy it, you never know

19. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    i've never heard of Hynix chips being used before... do they have a bad reputation?

If I were to rate the rpg right now, i'd agree with the silver rating. But i think it is getting very close to gold, and could be there in the next few updates.

20. shaunj66
    OP

United Kingdom
    I'm glad you agree with the review score. I'd also have to agree with you that it's very close to getting a Gold award but is just a few _hopeful_ updates away. [​IMG]