Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
gbatemp_recommends_revivla_logo2_build-1.png
Welcome to the 50th issue of the GBAtemp Recommends Revival Project! This project is a weekly feature where we share our favorite games and applications with you. The things we recommend may be "old school" titles, a Homebrew, a ROM hack, sleeper hits, an application, etc, but one thing's for certain, we think they are fantastic and deserve your attention!

This issue was written by GBAtemp member Hadrian.

GBAtemp Recommends!

Demon's Crest​
gallery_27232_349_9555.jpg

Capcom's Demon's Crest is the successor to the two Gargoyles Quest games on the GameBoy, which were spin-offs to the Ghosts 'n Goblins series. Like those two titles, you play a Demon named Firebrand on a quest to find all of the elemental crests, magical stones that hold the elements Earth, Wind, Water, Air, Fire, Time & Heaven. The reason being is that once a demon has all of these crests, they will combine to form the Crest of Infinity, a crest that will enable the holder to become invulnerable and have infinite power at his disposal. With this, FireBrand could rule all of the realms.

Each element allows the player to change Firebrand into different kinds of demons that are far better at adapting to different environments, which will help with your quest. FireBrand can also purchase various spells & potions to help aid him as well.

The gameplay itself is quite like a more linear Castlevania meets Ghost'n Goblins, you start from the left and move to end of the level at the right. You can actually go back to the areas you have already visited so you can play through them differently with different skills, allowing you to find additional items & secrets. You can play the game like a straight up action/platform title however this won't take any time at all to finish, some more experienced players could finish it within 2 hours. However, take your time to discover & collect everything and not only will you spend more time playing but you will also see much more of the game, fight more bosses, and you will get a different ending that is far more satisfying than the normal one.

The art and the sounds are a lot more Gothic when compared to the childlike themes of the two Gargoyle's Quest titles, I really miss games having this Gothic look. The monsters are very well designed as are the stages and their backgrounds. The music (composed by Toshihiko Horiyama who also composed various Mega Man X games, Onimusha, and Appollo Justice) is very atmospheric and suits the feel of the game. Some people may find themselves humming the tunes when not playing.

All-in-all, if you love Super Nintendo action/platformers, I feel that you'll enjoy this title. It can either be a deep title like Super Metroid or it can just be something straight forward you can play like Ghosts 'n Goblins. It really is up to you.

Genre: Action-adventure platformer
Release Year: 1994
Developed and Published by: Capcom
Designed by: Kenichi Iwao
Directed by: Ryo Miyazaki
Released For: SNES

If you enjoyed this weeks edition of GBAtemp Recommends! please leave a comment in the thread. This helps us monitor feedback and ensures we keep posting these articles in the future.

We are always looking for community members who wish to get more involved. If you would like to write a GBAtemp Recommends! article, let us know.

gallery_111084_186_646.png
Official GBAtemp Recommends! Mini-Page & History

Reactions: 2 people

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's a game I always wanted to play, but never had time to play it seriously.
I always tested the beginning, seeing that it's an interesting game and putting it in my whishlist.

I hope one day I'll have time to play all those old games I didn't had chance to play!

Reactions: 1 person

Prime_Zero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The very same for me, a game I always wanted to play, I have played the begining part a bit but nothing more, seems like a epic must play for the SNES to me though. Like Secret of mana, Legend of Zelda Link to the Past and etc.

Like so many other games it seems to be one of the greatest games you never played I suppose lol

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
and it's just as fucking hard as the ghost and goblins games too

thank god this game doesnt have the horridly notorious ghosts an goblins control mechanics.
but, yeah its definitely a challenging game.

this is one that i hadnt played before. thanks for the recommendation Hadrian =)

M

mario5555

Great review of an awesome game, good job for putting some spotlight on a game that most people never played let alone heard of.

Want to get this out of the way first.

Capcom's Demon's Crest is the successor to the two Gargoyles Quest games on the GameBoy, which were spin-offs to the Ghosts 'n Goblins series.

Except that one was a NES title. ;-) Gargoyle's Quest 2, but I'll forgive you for that.

If anyone ever asks me what it's like, I say Megaman X with demons, no better apt description for it.

There is so much to do, and find in this game its not funny.

A challenge for those interested in playing when finally attempting the underwater section, wait until you get the crest of time before doing the level, sure you might take some damage not using the water crest, but how awesome it is to be able to do something that the designers didn't think of in this game and use another crest that you can stay alive long enough (due to enhanced health) and have stronger attacks than you should have access too. Only recommnedation, is to bring a potion or two.

But otherwise, enjoy this awesome game and the multiple endings give it a reason to play through a few extra times, one of the best SNES games of all time and one of the few I still own (as I bought it new back in 1995).

Reactions: 1 person

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's an awesome game.

I'm going to buy the 1st one for the Gameboy, if I ever can get hold of it :P

Thanks for this review, I've only played the third one 'till now, and a bit of the second game, but I actually never remembered to play the first one :P

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I used to borrow the first game of the series from my cousin a lot back in the day. It was one of the best games for the Gameboy in my opinion.
Another game I used to borrow from him is a game called Monster Max, which I don't think many people have played. It is an awesome puzzle game made by Rare, which has awesome music. It's about a Monster called Max who is a guitarist who wants to stop the evil villain Krond from banning all the music from the world.
This also reminds me of Titus the Fox another great GB game I used to play a lot from the same publisher as Monster Max called Titus.
Both these titles would be good recommendations for the next GBAtemp Recommends.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Monster called Max who is a guitarist who wants to stop the evil villain Krond from banning all the music from the world.
This also reminds me of Titus the Fox another great GB game I used to play a lot from the same publisher as Monster Max called Titus.
Both these titles would be good recommendations for the next GBAtemp Recommends.
Monster Max was decent, pretty much like all of Rare/Ultimates isometric games though.
Titus the Fox however is one of the worst games ever made, I used to play the hell out of it on my Amiga (the best version) when I was a kid but play it today and it's horrible. Titus are synonymous with shit games.

I'm gonna be running this feature in 6 issues time, I've already got several written but I will gladly welcome more submissions. Already got one from Bortz (not sure if this one will be posted in the next 6 or not) but if not I'm set for the rest of the year.

Thanks for this review, I've only played the third one 'till now, and a bit of the second game, but I actually never remembered to play the first one :P
I've yet to have played the first one on the NES. Played the 2nd one because it came with lots of other games in a GB bundle I got but never the 2nd one. Only just played Demons Crest, played it for Retro Review in July and loved it.

I'm going to really get down and start on some titles that I've always meant to play but never did. This game and the Tiny Toons review I did have really shown that despite the fact that I've been gaming for probably 26 years, there are still a lot of classics to get through from the past.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've yet to have played the first one on the NES. Played the 2nd one because it came with lots of other games in a GB bundle I got but never the 2nd one. Only just played Demons Crest, played it for Retro Review in July and loved it.

I'm going to really get down and start on some titles that I've always meant to play but never did. This game and the Tiny Toons review I did have really shown that despite the fact that I've been gaming for probably 26 years, there are still a lot of classics to get through from the past.
Lucky you, I'm sure it'll be rare as heck to find it around here :(

I used to borrow the first game of the series from my cousin a lot back in the day. It was one of the best games for the Gameboy in my opinion.
Another game I used to borrow from him is a game called Monster Max, which I don't think many people have played. It is an awesome puzzle game made by Rare, which has awesome music. It's about a Monster called Max who is a guitarist who wants to stop the evil villain Krond from banning all the music from the world.
I've played it a lot :wub: It's one of my fondest memories for GB. Gotta buy the original cartridge :wub:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the Japanese version of the game, different... +1