GBAtemp Recommends Revival # 003

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Another World, Oct 31, 2011.

Oct 31, 2011
  1. Another World
    OP

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    [​IMG]

Welcome to the 3rd issue of the GBAtemp Recommends Revival Project! This project is a weekly magazine feature where we share our favorite games and applications with you. The things we recommend may be "old school" titles, a Homebrew, a ROM hack, sleeper hits, an application, etc, but one thing's for certain, we think they are fantastic and deserve your attention!

<div class="reviewbreak">
    <font size="3">GBAtemp Recommends!</font>

[​IMG] JNKPlat: Platdude's Happy Endings​
    </div>
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    <p>JNKPlat can be traced back to a humble QBasic beginning starring Platdude, an adventurous stick-figure like character. Platdude has been subjected to run-and-jump platforming action-adventure challenges on a variety of systems thanks to the series developer, Jayenkai. In 2006, a DS Port appeared and Platdude was finally given his iconic animated movements. A variety of Platdude themed projects followed, including a Christmas off-shoot, and eventually JNKPlat DS 08 was released. The 2008 project seemed near complete and stayed that way until interest from the community revived it, and by surprise, Jayenkai began to incorporate their ideas. JNKPlat: Platdude's Happy Endings was thus a joint effort between the BETA testing community who offered new inspiration through interesting gameplay ideas, and Jayenkai's excitement derived from this new interest for one of his most beloved franchises.

JNKPlat became rather popular due to its use of an extremely expanded set of traditional platforming mechanics. The game featured classic time-tested run and jump action and a unique block system, where each element had its own specific role to play. These elements, which could both aid and hinder Platdude, included [but were not limited to] conveyor belts, ladders, bomb blocks, disappearing walls, spring plungers, trick platforms, fire obstacles, color coded keys, and environment lighting switches.

The game incorporated, arguably, one of the best design elements ever implemented into DS platforming Homebrew, the use of two jump buttons. Pressing Y to jump left and A to jump right seemed like a simple concept yet the game has taken its share of criticism from the community. Many users have expressed a difficultly in adapting this 2 button scheme while others have embraced its simplicity.

Thanks to the help of the Homebrew community, this "final" release featured 100 levels, making it the largest JNKPlat DS game to date. A perfected level editor insured this revisions future while incorporated community requested updates polished off the overall package. Once complete, the game stood apart from previous releases by offering tweaked mechanics, the reintroduction of enemies, four graphic "skins", and many new gameplay elements.

JNKPlat takes the core ideas of platforming and expands upon them in a unique and fun way. Platdude has since starred in other games but nothing which has the same community involvement history. Few Homebrew games will ever capture the feeling of JNKPlat, which is why we are recommending it!
    </p>
    <p>Fun Fact:
    The level pack titled "Another World" was actually designed by GBAtemp's Head of Magazine Staff, Another World. This level pack was included before a bug in level 6 could be addressed. The 17th level of the intended 16 level pack is a corrected version of level 6. The original custom level file no longer exists, and as a result the buggy 6th level was never removed.
    </p>
    The Early History of Platdude by Jayenkai
    Genre: Puzzle-Platformer
    Type: Homebrew
    Developer: Jayenkai
    Release Date: Oct 7th, 2008
    ROM Size: 867 KB
    System: Nintendo DS

If you enjoyed this weeks edition of GBAtemp Recommends! please leave a comment in the thread. This helps us monitor feedback and ensures we keep posting these magazine articles in the future.

[​IMG] Download
    [​IMG] Custom Level Manipulation Tool (.EXE)
    [​IMG] Project Post
    [​IMG] Jayenkai's Homepage
    [​IMG] Official GBAtemp Recommends! Mini-Page & History

2. Evo.lve

Member Evo.lve All that you could be.

Australia
    This game is incredible. Howcome I never saw it before? :(

3. VatoLoco

Member VatoLoco Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.

United States
    Jayenkai's got a lot of really cool games for the DS=)
    JNKPlat has a permanent home on my card.
    I personally like the A/Y jump buttons, i tried the alt button config, but i couldnt get used to just using A to jump.

4. Jayenkai

Member Jayenkai GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Sorry, been WAAAAYYY too busy to have noticed this!
    Thanks for picking Platdude for your little game picks :D

JNKPlat is due to have a nice big re-emergence next year. It's been 15 years since I first made the original at college (yikes!) so I'll be doing something nice and special.
    *shrugs*
    It'll probably end up the same, it usually does ;)

5. Another World
    OP

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    nothing wrong with that =)

by the way jay, i'm still waiting for you to add the x-mas stuff back into the level editor!

i want trees!!!

-another world