Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
essentialgames.png
GBAtemp Recommends! Blackthorne
G.R. Issue #28 (GBA)

Its been too long old chum. Welcome back to GBAtemp Recommends! Our popular weekly magazine feature in which we recommend classic Game Boy Advance titles big and small!

GBAtemp Recommends!

Blackthorne
647456boxart_160w.jpg
gt1168.png
BT2.png

This title was originally developed by Blizzard and was released for the Super Nintendo, PC, Mac, Sega 32X. It was ported to the GBA by Mass Media who also handled the GBA ports of two other Blizzard titles, The Lost Vikings & Rock 'n Roll Racing.

You play Kyle Vlaros aka Blackthorne and you make your way through seventeen levels which vary from dark caverns to lush forests. The gameplay is very similar to such games like Flashback & Prince of Persia in that its not a straight forward linear action game, there is a little backtracking to be made but not as much as games like Castlevania or Metroid. Your character carries bombs and a shot gun around with them but at times you have to holster your weapon so you can climb platforms and ledges.

The levels are maze like in construction and you'll need to find certain keys to progress a lot of the time. At times you'll need to ride lifts to reach higher or lower places and also there are a lot of puzzles that stop you in your tracks. The puzzles aren't contrived or stupid and they actually make sense in their surroundings. There are checkpoints around the levels that allow you to save so when you get shot, you don't have to start a level all over again. Unlike the older versions, the GBA one lets you save instead of having to enter passwords.

Combat most of the time is done in form of gunfights. While sometimes you can creep up on someone and just shoot them, other times you'll need to duck and prone the wall to avoid bullets. You'll need to be able to have a decent sense of timing to get through these. Some of the baddies if you stand too close to them will actually kick you to force you to the ground which also gives them more time to get a shot in. Another great thing of the game that wasn't seem before is the ability to shoot blindly behind your character without him turning. There isn't really much reason to do this but it does add a certain sense of "bad arsery" to the character.

It is a fairly violent game, enemies bleed a ton of blood when shot and so do the prisoners who you are fighting for. The prisoners can be killed by yourself, not something that you have seen often (or at all) back on the SNES and while there is no reason to kill the prisoners, there is no reason not to. You have infinite shotgun bullets, their moaning can be irritating and it looks cool when you shoot them. Due to these elements in the game I'm surprised the game got a "Teen" rating rather than a "Mature".

During the course of the game you character becomes stronger but then, so do the enemies. This makes the difficulty very fair and gives a great learning curve.

Looks wise, it has a great old school style to it and pretty much represents the art of Blizzard very well. While nowhere near the best that the GBA has seen, there is a lot of detail there and the characters are well animated. The dark look really captures the tone of the story in the original game but for the GBA the colours can look over saturated and too bright at times but it still doesn't effect the tone.. The sound isn't anything to write home about and to be honest it wasn't back in the SNES days either. The music is really disappointing for a Blizzard title.

Overall its a great old school title that requires though, timing and patience. If you're someone who likes their game to be quick paced then its probably best to give this title a miss. Its a shame that Blizzard no longer release NEW IP's anymore, and its also a shame that they haven't done an action games for years.

Game Synopsis said:
Blackthorne is set on the planet Tuul, which has existed for hundreds of years without human knowledge. All of this time, Tuul's people have been ruled over by a single shaman who "was blessed with all knowledge". Years before the game begins, Thoros, the latest ruler, finds it near impossible to choose between his two sons as the next ruler. Believing it will solve the dilemma, he leads them to the deserts and kills himself. His body becomes two stones, light and dark, and he gives one to each boy to rule their own kingdoms respectively. The people of the lightstone form the kingdom of Androth, and the people of the Darkstone form Ka'dra'suul. But while Androth respects their stone, Ka'dra'suul reject theirs, and are eventually transformed into monsters by it. In this time, a ka'dra named Sarlac seizes power. He forms an army and leads them against Androth. Knowing of his people's doom, the ruler of Androth, King Vlaros, with the aid of the Androth magician Galadril, sends his son Kyle to Earth to save his life. Vlaros also gives Kyle the lightstone for safe keeping. He wishes that Kyle can one day return and use it to save their people. 20 years later, Kyle has become a renowned military captain and mercenary. After breaking out of prison facing court martial, Kyle begins having strange dreams, and eventually is reconfronted by Galadril. He is told that it is time to return to Tuul and save his people. The game begins here with Kyle setting out to kill Sarlac and reclaim his throne.

USA.gif
#1168 - Blackthorne (Mode 7)
Europe.gif
#1196 - Blackthorne (Endless Piracy)

Genre: Action Platformer
Publisher: Vivendi / Blizzard
Dump Date: 19/09/2003 (U), 09/10/2003 (E)
ROM Size: 32Mbit

If you enjoyed this weeks edition of GBAtemp Recommends! please leave a comment in the thread. This helps us monitor feedback and ensures we keep posting these magazine articles in the future. Also check out the latest GBAtemp Recommends: Homebrew

gicon.jpg
View in G-Online
c171.gif
Game Profile at IGN
controller.png
Official GBAtemp Recommends! Mini-Page & History
discuss.png
Discuss

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Great game from when Blizzard wasn't all "WoW-and-WoWExpansions".

Yeah, Diablo III and StarCraft II are coming out, but I still miss the good ol' Blizzard, which did great games like this and Lost Vikings and not fossilizing on just their main franchises.

It's nice to see another GBAtemp Recommends! Keep up the good work, as a lot of people don't know those lost little gems!
smile.gif

Garcimak

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Yay ! GBAtemp Recommends is back
gbasp.gif

Pleased to see blackthorne which was on my to-play list is also on gba, I'm more tempted to play outside these latter days

edit : played this afternoon, this game which would of been possible on the Amiga, i'm hooked, similiar to Flashback, not as good though.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I meant to post this last week but my free time was limited.

Gonna play the 32X version in a bit actually, can't remember if the GBA one had the extra "snowy" level or now.

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xDlmaoxD said:
The games looks alright for a GBA game.
I would like to play it but I have a DSi
frown.gif
Well it was released on the SNES as well, it might work on a SNES DS emulator. Or just track down the PC/Mac version which can't be hard to do.

henkp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
How are the controls in this game? When it was ported from SNES to GBA, there are 2 buttons less to work with. Most games make use of combinations of buttons then, and I most of the time I don't like that hassle (and especially when the DS hás those buttons!). Just checked, it doesn't work on snesds (thanks for trying costello
smile.gif
), but it looks very much like PoP and 'Bermuda Triangle', a game very underrated, in my eyes. Gonna try it on the SNES!

Oh, and the GBAtemp Recommends!' are one of my favorite, good way to get the underrated games on the radar! Keep up the good work!

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm gonna have to disagree with this one.
Blackthorne is a great game (made by Blizzard
smile.gif
), but it just wasn't meant for the GBA.

Just compare:
GBA
black_screen019.jpg

PC
gfs_29760_2_6.jpg

Playing this game on the GBA is the equivalent of jamming a knife into your eye.

wolfeman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could not disagree more as to the music in the game. It totally works and gives you that early 90s sci-fi movie vibe and best of all it is not obtrusive like so many 16bit soundtracks can be.

You also completely missed the whole aspect of the roto-scoping in the game and how similar it is to the equally enjoyable 'Flashback' and 'Out of this World'.

Blackthorne is an underrated classic game no matter what platform you choose to play it on but I suggest the 32X version as being the best one.

The only downside of the game which is addressed in the GBA version is the password saves. I think the GBA gives you the ability to save your progress, although snapshots would have been really nice. The older versions all have password saves and those really suck.

Garcimak

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
DeMoN said:
Playing this game on the GBA is the equivalent of jamming a knife into your eye.

On the GBA above screenshot the view isn't that small indeed, the inventory only appears on screen when called.

The game would have required a more sophisticated gamma correction. But the atmosphere is intact. Regarding the gameplay, you have 6 saveslots and the game automatically saves at certain checkpoint. The GBA gameplay is ok but the L Button = "inventory / look around" sometimes leads them to commit the mistake of wasting a mine in a vacuum. Thank to the save states.

Maktub

Trophies
XP
Country
Hm... Have to agree with the GBA version not being as good... Violence has been downgraded (no blood effects, which looked really good and are part of the animation after all), colours are too bright (as pointed out in both review and comments). Ah well, portability and save slots make for it.

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No blood? Shit, I should have played this before posting. I remember enjoying it way back and that the controls were good.

Still I hope people try the 32X or PC versions anyway. SNES version has green blood.

Maktub

Trophies
XP
Country
Hm... anyone mind if I use this to ask some questions about gameplay? Been browsing through walkthroughs and stuff but none will solve my problem....

Stage 3 (third level of Gala's mine), towards the end, when you get a potion from a slave after having gone through the last bridge... How on Earth do I set my feet on the ground below without dying??

Maktub

Trophies
XP
Country
So no one knows what I was asking..? Maybe if I posted a screenshot or something of the place I'm talking about?

gukid

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A while back I was working on palette fixes for a bunch of games, and Blackthorne was one of them.

Most of it should be done, except bad palettes will probably start showing up after the swamp world. Including the lightnight animated background in the swamp levels, because I couldn't for the life of me figure out how it was stored in the rom.

Also, the blood has been changed from green to red, which also changes the colour of a few other things like the bridges and the highlights on the gun cannons. I almost find this better, but if I ever finish it I'll make the red blood optional.

The patch SHOULD work on any version of the rom, since they're pretty much identical, but I used the UK rom when I made this because it didn't have an intro on it.

Enjoy?

Attachments

• blackthorne_colour_wip.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 188

NakedFaerie

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
This is a great game. Been playing it on and off for many, many years. It started with the shareware version when it first came out on PC. Thats how long I've been playing it for.
I now have it on the GBA emulator on the iPhone.

Cant wait for a GBA emulator to come out for DSi then I will keep playing it there.

Doesnt matter what platform you play it on, its a great game.

Still after all these years I've yet to complete it. I think I'm up to level 5? Everytime I change the platform I play it on I have to restart it so I've completed level 1 about 50 times now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    LEOtck? Who's he? Never 'erd of the las. :)
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I only show the mirror to people and you all can't stand what you're seeing
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    bunch of bullies
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Narcissistic Personality Disorder 101
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I think that's what you have
    Thanks for providing further evidence of my claim in a single comment. lol.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    pff\
    You're a gaslighting narcissist. Everyone out to get you. You wont get professional help because you'll just chalk up their diagnosis as another conspiracy out to get you.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    leave me alone, I'm not going to engage with you anymore, bye
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    Motherfucker I was checked by a psychiatrist and there's nothing wrong with me
    okay. Bye. Thought you were leaving anyway. Why are you still around? You already said goodbye to everyone here.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so stop spurting your nonsense
    lol. liar.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    knock it off now, both of you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yea you're just a mean bully
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    he SHOULD
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and NOW
    liar, loudmouth, cussing and swearing, all angry
    ok. sorry. ill stop now. promise
    Sooo. How about Dune part 1 & 2? The cinematography is fantastic, but thats some of the most boring ass sci-fi Ive seen in my life.
    haven't seen both
    Im going to see the new Godzilla next week. Sure they aren't some cinematic masterpieces but the last few were all really great and fun popcorn flicks to see on the big screen.
    can't remember the last time I went to the cinemas
    Me neither, not precisely. I think the last one I went to was Top Gun Maverick
    Oh. Wait. I took my mom to see Elvis. I think that was the last time I went. I'll most likely see the new Planet of the Apes in a theater too.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Oh. Wait. I took my mom to see Elvis. I think that was the last time I went. I'll most likely...