GBAtemp now allows foreign language Groups

After long discussions and debate within the staff we are pleased to announce that we have decided to accept foreign language Groups.

langs.jpg

What does this mean?
  • Groups can be made for foreign language speakers.
    Discussions inside Groups will be permitted to be carried out in a language other than English. Unlike the main GBAtemp forums which will remain English only. However, you will not be able to forbid someone from replying in English (nor report them for doing so), but discussion in the native language can be encouraged.

• Will Groups for foreign language speakers have to be limited to certain topics?
    No, you are welcome to create a Group for any topic you wish!

• Do I need to do anything special when creating a non-English language Group?
    Group Name: The Group name can either be in the Groups intended language or English. Either is fine. You may also wish to put the language in the Group name (or perhaps a flag 🇨🇳) but this isn't required.
    Group Category: Please ensure you select the 'Non-English Groups' category when creating a Group.

• How will GBAtemp (a primarily English speaking site) moderate non-English Groups?
    Group Owners will be responsible for ensuring that the existing GBAtemp terms, conditions and rules are observed and followed so it is important that you only create, own and/or moderate a Group in a language that you are fluent in.

:arrow: GBAtemp Forum Rules & Guidelines

If a Group is in violation of any of these terms then it may be removed without prior notice and depending on the severity of the offence, the Group owner may be warned/suspended/banned etc.

Groups will also be closely moderated by existing GBAtemp staff who may speak the language naively or by use of a variety of translation tools.

GBAtemp members will also be able to use the standard Report function to alert staff of any inappropriate posts or content, providing they have access to the Group (if private).

• Are there any caveats/limitations to non-English Groups?
    Non-English Groups can only be made for well recognised languages - that means no klingon, pig-latin etc.. Groups ignoring this may be removed.
    Also, as mentioned above, you cannot forbid people to reply in English for any reason.

• I only speak English; can I choose to hide non-English Groups across GBAtemp?
    At this time you cannot, however we are reviewing this idea.
Please note that the GBAtemp staff will be reviewing this idea going forward. If for any reason allowing non-English Groups becomes too difficult for staff to maintain, we may reconsider the facility of the feature but will let people know in advance.

Thanks for reading and happy "Grouping"! :)

Last edited by shaunj66,

Weyu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Neat.
I was wondering one thing though: browsing the group list, there is a Japanese one which has posts dating back as early as September.
So I take it that the above is a hobby group separate from the new groups introduced in this thread?

ToothyNom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Funny how you support foreign language groups AND show the Russian flag, yet when I tried to sign up with my Russian mail (mail.ru) it said "Can't sign up with this email". Had to create Gmail just to join. You're contradicting yourself. Either remove Russian flag or allow people with Russian mail to sign up

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Funny how you support foreign language groups AND show the Russian flag, yet when I tried to sign up with my Russian mail (mail.ru) it said "Can't sign up with this email". Had to create Gmail just to join. You're contradicting yourself. Either remove Russian flag or allow people with Russian mail to sign up
Mail.ru is commonly used by fraudulent/bot accounts. That's why it's blacklisted.

But we will review this going forward. Perhaps we can remove the ban on it.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
That's not how it works. That's not how it works at all.
Not all Russians use mail.ru, not all Russians live in the Russian Federation.

I don't know why mail.ru is blocked, rather ask that instead of going all out.

Reactions: mathew77

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Congratulations. Now, everyone is welcome to their own language and won't feel to be left out. Awesome. I am so happy for everyone. Welcome to the family with respect, loving, caress, no judge, no make fun of grammars, no pointing the finger, and bullying at all. Nobody's perfect! :grog:

Last edited by spotanjo3,
  • Haha
Reactions: ZeroFX

Sno0t

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I dont really like this tbh... This will only scatter useful information further...provided help is only useful in this specific language, meaning that helpful posts might not be found yadda yada yada...
I hope this does not split the community (even further)
Wont use my mother language here anyways.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I now refuse to be a part of this community, what's next we will allow people of all colors on this forum, or dare I say WOMEN?

(This is sarcasm...)
Or even species. Reptilians get alot of hate. It's time for Mark Zuckerberg to show his true form without any hate towards him.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just hope people don't come to the conclusion that Spanish and Portuguese are the same thing.
It isn't, but Galician is kinda like Northern Portuguese. It may be a controversial opinion what I'm about to say, that Portugal should be part of Spain and they'd be better off.

Heck, Olivenza belongs to Spain because the Portuguese weren't men enough to fight for it. And I got no problem saying that as I've got Portuguese/Latin blood myself.

My mother language ain't English, though might as well be since I use it more often than not.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I now refuse to be a part of this community, what's next we will allow people of all colors on this forum, or dare I say WOMEN?

(This is sarcasm...)
I'm pretty sure you didn't have to mention "This is sarcasm". If anyone takes that message at face value, then he probably shouldn't be here.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

(This is sarcasm...)
Don't be silly. Everybody knows there are no women on the interwebz ;A;

I'm pretty sure you didn't have to mention "This is sarcasm". If anyone takes that message at face value, then he probably shouldn't be here.
You'd be surprised. There are many things that shouldn't happen but do so anyways

Reactions: Flame

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, question. If it's not already available and I somehow overlooked it, will there be a way to migrate threads from the forums into groups, or somehow have them synced together? That would be a welcome feature, as I have made several threads relating to my project before this group feature, and I would like to have the content of those threads in my group.

I'm not sure if that's even possible, but if not, then what are my remaining options? I thought I'd ask here since I'm not sure where else to post this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr