Homebrew gbaemu4ds: GBA emulator for DS(i) (DSi Entry)

Is the graphic better if you use the sc Version and the upper screen on a 3DS

• I can't do that (have no 3DS) (have not tested that)

Votes: 110 40.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 48 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 26 9.5%
  • I don't know

Votes: 89 32.6%

• Total voters

PROTOBOY

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ichichfly i have a few questions if you would please be so kind to answer them. Everyone is welcome to answer too

3.whats the latest version of this emu. i see on your web site alphas and betas, im confused. i have gbaemu4ds(Beta 1 test1) not sure if its the latest.
4.is there a size limit to the rom game?
6.those this work with a certain type of r4 flashcard or any?

I have this same questions:unsure:.

This emulator its cool, I believe that after some time in the future will runs gba games 100%, specially when 3DS flashcards be possible to run .3DS emulators will be possible to access the power of 3DS :gun: .

sozansound2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ichichfly i have a few questions if you would please be so kind to answer them. Everyone is welcome to answer too

1.Is there a list of games that work with this emu?
2.have you ever tried playing yughio games on it or those it work?
3.whats the latest version of this emu. i see on your web site alphas and betas, im confused. i have gbaemu4ds(Beta 1 test1) not sure if its the latest.
5.those this work on a ds lite?
7.when i run the program and choose the rom, i pick gbafile (default) setting and gives me incorrect setup at the bottom and freezes and cant do anything.....what happend? the game is called yugioh reshef of destruction and size is 16mb if your wondering.

sorry to bombard with so much questions but i want to understand what works and what dosent work with the emu.

i tryed pokemon leafgreen and same thing happens when i pick default. i tryed the one below the default but those the same thing when it comes to picking the advirq files and maybe consider making another video tutorial with the latest emu version on how to run a rom using the emu. would definitely help allot.

jerbear64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

7.when i run the program and choose the rom, i pick gbafile (default) setting and gives me incorrect setup at the bottom and freezes and cant do anything.....what happend? the game is called yugioh reshef of destruction and size is 16mb if your wondering.

sorry to bombard with so much questions but i want to understand what works and what dosent work with the emu.

1. There is a Compatibility list linked on the OP.
2. Yu-Gi-Oh: Dungeon Dice Monsters, Yu-Gi-Oh GX: Duel Academy, and World Championship 2004 all work with the non-sound advirq.
3. The latest stable release is Alpha 2 Fix 4, the one you have is a snapshot that came later.
4. No size limit AFAIK.
5. This will work on any DS.
6. It was made for R4i Gold, and results may vary from flashcart to flashcart.
7. I'm not sure what you mean.

Reactions: ichichfly

Titanoverlord

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just want to throw this out but has anyone found out how to make Pokemon Emerald work on this? I ask this because the list says Pokemon Sapphire works and Emerald does not. both games were made from the same source code, so what is the problem?

ichichfly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i tryed pokemon leafgreen and same thing happens when i pick default. i tryed the one below the default but those the same thing when it comes to picking the advirq files and maybe consider making another video tutorial with the latest emu version on how to run a rom using the emu. would definitely help allot.

This is a snapshot it is just for tests and the UI etc. may change in the real beta

I just want to throw this out but has anyone found out how to make Pokemon Emerald work on this? I ask this because the list says Pokemon Sapphire works and Emerald does not. both games were made from the same source code, so what is the problem?
I don't have Emerald so I can't tell. Many Possibility maybe it relays on illegal reads (from somewhere were no memory no I/O register are) or it corrupt some part of the emulator.

I don't use homebrew. Can you upload the new version if the mega man battle network series works?
Most likely not and I don't release a gba emulator that doesn't run homebrew.

1-6. see post above the post above this post.
7. incorrect setup means there is an file missing (Open failed) may I forgot some files in the snapshot.

oateo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm really sorry to ask this, because I'm sure my problems are just mistakes on my part (I'm new to all of this and really have no idea what I'm doing). I'm trying to get Pokemon Liquid Crystal to run (is that even possible?), its a patch for Fire Red (E/U) which is listed in the compatibility chart as working/mostly working..

Every time I try to run the rom, I just get this:

I tried running the patch.pat as the patch, which was recommended earlier in the thread for similar errors, I've tried .agb, .bin, and .mb files as listed in the original instructions, and I've tried a couple of different combinations of settings (but again, no idea what I'm doing), but just keep getting the same thing.

When I try running the unpatched Fire Red, I get a similar screen but with about half as much on it and it ends in "jump to (02134000)".

Titanoverlord

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm really sorry to ask this, because I'm sure my problems are just mistakes on my part (I'm new to all of this and really have no idea what I'm doing). I'm trying to get Pokemon Liquid Crystal to run (is that even possible?), its a patch for Fire Red (E/U) which is listed in the compatibility chart as working/mostly working..

I tried running the patch.pat as the patch, which was recommended earlier in the thread for similar errors, I've tried .agb, .bin, and .mb files as listed in the original instructions, and I've tried a couple of different combinations of settings (but again, no idea what I'm doing), but just keep getting the same thing.

When I try running the unpatched Fire Red, I get a similar screen but with about half as much on it and it ends in "jump to (02134000)".

hmm looks like what happens when I try to run Emerald, must be those forsaken memory addresses that cause the emulator to break

ichichfly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Arrg, my router died and the new one that the cable company only supports WPA2 Encryption, I will install DD-WRT this weekend to do some nifi testing(hopefully)
if I enable the wifi on my 3DS and go into DS mode the 3DS frees (I don't understand why but DSi mode works).

hmm looks like what happens when I try to run Emerald, must be those forsaken memory addresses that cause the emulator to break
That means that the emulator tried to execute an instruction that is not an instruction (data/nothing here).

Yeah unknown opcode caused the emu to crash.
Btw ichichfly any progress with the compatibility since alpha 2 fix 4?
2. Yes for example as I already sad there was a problem in some mario game that caused a frees at a certain point with a gost that is fixed now.

Patched roms/homebrew (if the patches are using jumps to a code-cave at the end) (for roms that are greater than ~3MB) need some hyper-visor special patches to work with this emulator.
Try to use that Version that is recommended in the compatibility list. (it may be a bug of the new Version)

I tried to fix that but it would crush some other games if I would fix that I am thinking about some fix.

Add: The reset function is still not working no idea why it should but it isn't. :sad:

oateo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Patched roms/homebrew (if the patches are using jumps to a code-cave at the end) (for roms that are greater than ~3MB) need some hyper-visor special patches to work with this emulator.
Try to use that Version that is recommended in the compatibility list. (it may be a bug of the new Version)

I tried to fix that but it would crush some other games if I would fix that I am thinking about some fix.

Okay, tried using a different rom, and got the unpatched one to load OK (some graphical glitches right off the bat, I didn't test further than that). Edit: I tested a bit further, lots of graphical glitches, and then when I tried to open a menu the game crashed. Sound was a bit off, too, especially right before/when it crashed.

But the patched version is still not loading.. At least I got a different error this time:

So are you saying that right now, there is no way to play the patched rom on this emulator? Or am I still just doing something wrong? ^__^

ichichfly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Okay, tried using a different rom, and got the unpatched one to load OK (some graphical glitches right off the bat, I didn't test further than that). Edit: I tested a bit further, lots of graphical glitches, and then when I tried to open a menu the game crashed. Sound was a bit off, too, especially right before/when it crashed.

But the patched version is still not loading.. At least I got a different error this time:

So are you saying that right now, there is no way to play the patched rom on this emulator? Or am I still just doing something wrong? ^__^

Currently I am working on a fix for that. You could use some hacks to make the patches compatible with gbaemu4ds. You should relink the hooks in the executable code and copy that targets of the hooks into some free mem region. Than it should work but you need some hacking skills for that.

Actually my Version of Pokemon doesn't crush when I open a menu.

Can anyone give me the latest compile version after aplha 2 fix 4(if any)?
---
My tutorial for setting-up and running the emu
http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-get-gbaemu4ds-set-up-running-on-your-nds-the-correct-way.350336/
ichichfly You can link this to the first post if you wanna.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/1enguqqe94o8cld/gbaemu4ds(Beta_1_test1).zip <-- test Version UI can variate in the final Beta 1.

You should add some things in your tut
1.You can use the patch.pat as a patch to increase the compatibility with some games (Pokemon/YA(it is not looking nice but it works)) in the Beta version the pat file has a new name but it is still there
2. The data have to be in the root dir of you flashcard sd
3. _rpg is the direct menu integration (wood v1.45 or newer) it allows you to run .agb, .bin or .mb directly from the menu like an .nds file (settings from defaultlist)
4. There are more options in the last screen you should say that sc stands for scaling. Because I sometimes get Questions how to enable scaling.
5.AutoVsycline is removed in Beta 1 because of bugs but I will re-implement in in Beta 2

And a Question are my tuts understandable
gbatemp.net/threads/gbaemu4ds-gba-emulator-for-ds-i-dsi-entry.281715/page-84#post-4506808

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Just tried out Beta 1 Test 1 this weekend. Both Pokemon Ruby (U) and Pokemon FireRed (U) went from working fine in alpha1 fix1 (at least I think that's the rev), to working with the default patch in alpha2 fix4, and now they crash in beta1 test1, no matter the settings I use. Regressions or user error?

BTW, FireRed is a dump of my actual cart, not an [f1] ROM.

ichichfly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Just tried out Beta 1 Test 1 this weekend. Both Pokemon Ruby (U) and Pokemon FireRed (U) went from working fine in alpha1 fix1 (at least I think that's the rev), to working with the default patch in alpha2 fix4, and now they crash in beta1 test1, no matter the settings I use. Regressions or user error?

BTW, FireRed is a dump of my actual cart, not an [f1] ROM.
There is a new patch file in the GBADS folder (people start deleting the patch.pat file in the root so I moved the file as the patch.pat file is needed for the default settings (default settings are not working here because it is a test Version)) maybe this patch file works.

What exactly is not working?

The reason for the fact that Pokemon was working in alpha1 but only with patches in alpha2 fix4 is that there was a bug in alpha1 that caused only every 4. Hblanc irq to ack. In alpha2 fix4 that bug was fixed but the mass of Hblanc irq needed to much cpu and caused slowdowns like 1 frame every 1.5 min. So I added a way to re-import that bug.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
There is a new patch file in the GBADS folder (people start deleting the patch.pat file in the root so I moved the file as the patch.pat file is needed for the default settings (default settings are not working here because it is a test Version)) maybe this patch file works.

What exactly is not working?

The reason for the fact that Pokemon was working in alpha1 but only with patches in alpha2 fix4 is that there was a bug in alpha1 that caused only every 4. Hblanc irq to ack. In alpha2 fix4 that bug was fixed but the mass of Hblanc irq needed to much cpu and caused slowdowns like 1 frame every 1.5 min. So I added a way to re-import that bug.
Yeah, I tried using the patch in the GBADS folder, but it didn't help.

Off the top of my head, Ruby crashed and FireRed whitescreened at the start, but I can get more info tonight.

aaaa_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
can someone tell me clear instructions on how to play pokemon ruby or sapphire?

i have tried like every version of the emulator and all i get is a white screen. and yes i have tried the E versions.
the only game that worked for me is firered.

please help!!!

aaaa_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

jerbear64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just tried it. still a white screen with both ruby E and ruby U.
i merged the '__rpg' folder with the one that was already in my r4. that was the only doubt i had when doing it. but i dont understad why it doesnt work.
i did delete the patch thing. and just kept pressing 'a' then white screen.
If you had any other associations in the associations.ini, that's the only thing that would be overwritten. Also, if you renamed the included HBMenu.nds file, you're going to have to change the associations.ini with the updated name as well. Also, the patch is manual. It's not going to automatically start, you have to select the patch.pat and then the save then the ROM.

Ichichfly, do you mind making a port of the patch maker to Mac? My main computer has a corrupted registry and my uncle currently has the installation disk for Windows XP. So a Macintosh is all I've got.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCGzykqrsuM