Hardware GBA Successor, like, when?

science

science rules
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I forgot that I was totally hyped about this. I just remembered that the DS isn't the successor to the GBA, and like, WTF? We've been waiting since 2004 for this, and then everyone forgot about it. Now its nearly 2007, and where is this? There hasn't been any news on it in forever! Google brings up topics from 2004 and 2005. Come on Nintendo!

science

science rules
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dosen't anybody remember the rumors that the DS was just a decoy system that was keeping the real focus of Nintendo (New GBA) undercover?

DiegoCJ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If Wii is a success (and I think it will) Nintendo will never go back to making simple and ordinary consoles, unless they use the Gameboy name for a new console with something out of the ordinary like DS is...

I think Gameboy is dead...

apofaz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Dosen't anybody remember the rumors that the DS was just a decoy system that was keeping the real focus of Nintendo (New GBA) undercover?

yep - I remember that, too. Nintendo thought they don't have any chance against the PSP with the DS. but they were wrong since the DS sold record-breaking.
I'm still waiting for DS games with game-depth of many GBA-games.

A DS-micro would be cool, too
smile.gif

inter4ever

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo said that the DS won't replace the gameboy so that if it failed a year or two they can release the next gameboy and that failure won't count as a Gameboy failure so they can their 20+ years brand.

Xtreem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think Nintendo expected the DS to fail, thats why they said it wasnt the next gba but now its doing so well why not just make a DS 2.
I would still like to see a new gameboy tho!

Digeman

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Nintendo thought they don't have any chance against the PSP with the DS. but they were wrong since the DS sold record-breaking.
I'm still waiting for DS games with game-depth of many GBA-games.

I think so too. And i also agree with the lack of deep games for the ds, I'm not saying that there aren't any good or deep games just that i thought that more of'em would have been released by now
tongue.gif
Aw well I guess I just have to wait untill they do
laugh.gif

Edit: I also remember reading somewhere for not so long ago that the president of nintendo said something like making a new gameboy now that the ds has been released and is doing so well would be a step back in console making (since the ds has touch screen and all =P ) So yeah..don't know if it's the end of gameboy but it certainly doesn't look to bright for it
unsure.gif

D

Deleted User

Of course it will be a step back, I'm really used to touch control my handled now. When you have a DS game without touch driven menus, it seems really old...
The only thing that could be improved is the removal of this second screen. Really, there's no use to it. I'd rather like a bigger screen and a more compact design.
If you think I'm wrong gimme names of games where the dual screen is really useful, and I don't mean things like maps, because ok it's convenient, but if you look deeply, I'm not lost in gba castlevania where I'm two buttons away from the map. Also, second screen only for game control is a mess, for every game having their control on the second screen (Super Mario 64, Metroid, ect...) it was better with classic controls.

Remy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The DS is the GBA's successor to me... anyways Nintendo won't probably show anything about their new handheld untill (end) 2008 - 2009 (at earliest)

hahaha! so true! I bought a 4 gig nano, a few months later, 8 gig nano comes out...WTF?!

eh...it's always possible the DS would get another facelift. Take a look at the Gameboy family tree
GB>GB pocket>GB light (jp only)>GBC
GBA>GBA SP>GBA Micro> GBA SP brighter
DS>DS Lite> ...

I do agree about the duel screen thing. Often times i keep looking at games thinking "this could've worked (sometimes better) with one big touch screen"

Don't get me wrong, I still love my DSLite!

Extreme Coder

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
The next DS should better be named TS(for touch screen). As others said, I don't see the real use of the other screen, while the touch screen is much more useful. And, if anything, Nintendo should make their next portable AT-LEAST as powerful as a GameCube.
I love Nintendo, but I just don't get why they can't combine innovation WITH some raw power.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A GC powered style GameBoy that could read GC discs as well as its own plus maybe offering a Virtual Console so you could get GB-GBA games.

I can see it wiping the floor with the PSP but will Nintendo do one? Really doubt it, its making a mint with the DS but then it could be aimed at those who go for power over originality which could bridge the gap perhaps.

Dont really know if I'd want one, maybe I'd prefer if Nintendo kept its ideas for those sort of games for the Wii.

Really to me the DS is the new GameBoy as GameBoys always offered something different to the home console.

mr_blonde_88

Torture You? That's A Good Idea. I Like That
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
yeah, i can remember they were sayin that they didnt want the DS to be accociated with the GB series... weird hey

I also remember them saying something like the DS could flop and they would lose any money

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @btjunior, you act like if you were about 10