GBA Successor, like, when?

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by science, Aug 11, 2006.

Aug 11, 2006

GBA Successor, like, when? by science at 10:46 PM (3,624 Views / 0 Likes) 38 replies

1. science
    OP

Member science science rules

Canada
    I forgot that I was totally hyped about this. I just remembered that the DS isn't the successor to the GBA, and like, WTF? We've been waiting since 2004 for this, and then everyone forgot about it. Now its nearly 2007, and where is this? There hasn't been any news on it in forever! Google brings up topics from 2004 and 2005. Come on Nintendo!

2. wabo

Member wabo GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    The next GBA will come when the DS dies... don't hold your breath.

3. MAD_BOY

Member MAD_BOY Lazy bum

Netherlands
    iwata said quite some time ago that the GB series is on hold for now

4. science
    OP

Canada
    Crap!

5. TripleA

Member TripleA GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i say the way ds is selling around 2010

or maybe by then next nds 2

6. science
    OP

Canada
    Dosen't anybody remember the rumors that the DS was just a decoy system that was keeping the real focus of Nintendo (New GBA) undercover?

7. DiegoCJ

Newcomer DiegoCJ Member

Brazil
    If Wii is a success (and I think it will) Nintendo will never go back to making simple and ordinary consoles, unless they use the Gameboy name for a new console with something out of the ordinary like DS is...

I think Gameboy is dead...

8. science
    OP

Canada
    I've got it! A tounge controlled GameBoy for the next gen!

Oh wait, right.

9. teh_raf3

Member teh_raf3 Whatever suits you

Belgium
    The DS is the GBA's successor to me... anyways Nintendo won't probably show anything about their new handheld untill (end) 2008 - 2009 (at earliest)

10. bikingcam

Member bikingcam GBAtemp Regular

Djibouti
    Ahah I hope so because i just bought my ds and I dont want to get Apple style screwed by them releasing a new thing the next day.

11. apofaz

Member apofaz GBAtemp Regular

Namibia
    yep - I remember that, too. Nintendo thought they don't have any chance against the PSP with the DS. but they were wrong since the DS sold record-breaking.
    I'm still waiting for DS games with game-depth of many GBA-games.

A DS-micro would be cool, too [​IMG]

12. inter4ever

Member inter4ever GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Nintendo said that the DS won't replace the gameboy so that if it failed a year or two they can release the next gameboy and that failure won't count as a Gameboy failure so they can their 20+ years brand.

13. Xtreem

Newcomer Xtreem Newbie

United Kingdom
    I think Nintendo expected the DS to fail, thats why they said it wasnt the next gba but now its doing so well why not just make a DS 2.
    I would still like to see a new gameboy tho!

14. Digeman

Member Digeman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sweden
    I think so too. And i also agree with the lack of deep games for the ds, I'm not saying that there aren't any good or deep games just that i thought that more of'em would have been released by now [​IMG] Aw well I guess I just have to wait untill they do [​IMG]

Edit: I also remember reading somewhere for not so long ago that the president of nintendo said something like making a new gameboy now that the ds has been released and is doing so well would be a step back in console making (since the ds has touch screen and all =P ) So yeah..don't know if it's the end of gameboy but it certainly doesn't look to bright for it [​IMG]

15. deufeufeu

Member deufeufeu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Cote d'Ivoire
    Of course it will be a step back, I'm really used to touch control my handled now. When you have a DS game without touch driven menus, it seems really old...
    The only thing that could be improved is the removal of this second screen. Really, there's no use to it. I'd rather like a bigger screen and a more compact design.
    If you think I'm wrong gimme names of games where the dual screen is really useful, and I don't mean things like maps, because ok it's convenient, but if you look deeply, I'm not lost in gba castlevania where I'm two buttons away from the map. Also, second screen only for game control is a mess, for every game having their control on the second screen (Super Mario 64, Metroid, ect...) it was better with classic controls.

16. Remy

Member Remy GBAtemp Regular

United States

hahaha! so true! I bought a 4 gig nano, a few months later, 8 gig nano comes out...WTF?!

eh...it's always possible the DS would get another facelift. Take a look at the Gameboy family tree
    GB>GB pocket>GB light (jp only)>GBC
    GBA>GBA SP>GBA Micro> GBA SP brighter
    DS>DS Lite> ...

I do agree about the duel screen thing. Often times i keep looking at games thinking "this could've worked (sometimes better) with one big touch screen"

Don't get me wrong, I still love my DSLite!

17. Extreme Coder

Member Extreme Coder GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    The next DS should better be named TS(for touch screen). As others said, I don't see the real use of the other screen, while the touch screen is much more useful. And, if anything, Nintendo should make their next portable AT-LEAST as powerful as a GameCube.
    I love Nintendo, but I just don't get why they can't combine innovation WITH some raw power.

18. -KangaRod-

Member -KangaRod- GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    why not just call the next DS the Gameboy? For all intenents and purposes the DS has become the GBA + 1

19. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    A GC powered style GameBoy that could read GC discs as well as its own plus maybe offering a Virtual Console so you could get GB-GBA games.

I can see it wiping the floor with the PSP but will Nintendo do one? Really doubt it, its making a mint with the DS but then it could be aimed at those who go for power over originality which could bridge the gap perhaps.

Dont really know if I'd want one, maybe I'd prefer if Nintendo kept its ideas for those sort of games for the Wii.

Really to me the DS is the new GameBoy as GameBoys always offered something different to the home console.

20. mr_blonde_88

Member mr_blonde_88 Torture You? That's A Good Idea. I Like That

United Kingdom
    yeah, i can remember they were sayin that they didnt want the DS to be accociated with the GB series... weird hey

I also remember them saying something like the DS could flop and they would lose any money