Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The DS IS the GBA's successor-Nintendo might have denied it, but actions speak louder than words. the GBa is the last Nintendo handheld of it's kind..maybe even the LAST handheld of its kind. Nintendo has proven that a touchscreen can not only work for a portable gaming system, but that it can be fun as well. Don't expect Nintendo's competitors to stick to the same formula as in years passed. Nintendo has injected a disruptive technology into the handheld market-and since it did so well, its now the new standard.

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
The next DS should better be named TS(for touch screen). As others said, I don't see the real use of the other screen, while the touch screen is much more useful. And, if anything, Nintendo should make their next portable AT-LEAST as powerful as a GameCube.
I love Nintendo, but I just don't get why they can't combine innovation WITH some raw power.

Well, maybe it´s not possible right now, look at the PSP is less powerful than a PS2, and it have batterie problems and loading time problems.

When Nintendo can do it, they will.
Just like the use of optical media. There´s no loading times on most GC games.
wub.gif

grog.gif

mr_blonde_88

Torture You? That's A Good Idea. I Like That
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
The next DS should better be named TS(for touch screen). As others said, I don't see the real use of the other screen, while the touch screen is much more useful. And, if anything, Nintendo should make their next portable AT-LEAST as powerful as a GameCube.
I love Nintendo, but I just don't get why they can't combine innovation WITH some raw power.

But it would be perdy impossible to play games like Metroid Prime Hunters with one screen

Bowser128

King Koopa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Of course it will be a step back, I'm really used to touch control my handled now. When you have a DS game without touch driven menus, it seems really old...
The only thing that could be improved is the removal of this second screen. Really, there's no use to it. I'd rather like a bigger screen and a more compact design.
If you think I'm wrong gimme names of games where the dual screen is really useful, and I don't mean things like maps, because ok it's convenient, but if you look deeply, I'm not lost in gba castlevania where I'm two buttons away from the map. Also, second screen only for game control is a mess, for every game having their control on the second screen (Super Mario 64, Metroid, ect...) it was better with classic controls.

Whilst I agree that maybe one big touchscreen is the way forward for the majority of games and the whole 'having a map on the other screen' thing is a bit redundant, I have to disagree with your assessment of touch screen controlled games. IMO Metroid and Mario 64s' controls were great (as long as you made the right desicion between stylus and thumb strap) and having them on classic control would detract from the overall experience, especially in Metroid, because the control in that rivals the control offered by a keyboard and mouse for an FPS, which is fantastic.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Well, I've been playing Metroid Prime Hunters for some time now, and while the precision and control is great, my hands are still cramping in ways hands weren't meant to cramp.

I imagine the next DS to have a multitouch touchpad over the entire lower surface, meaning you would have analog control under both thumbs (with thumb straps), or, if the game asks for it (Super Mario or such), to emulate binary controls ("up" versus "not up", as opposed to "slightly up, slightly more up, medium up, stern up, extreme up" like analog control would give you).

Imagine having analog aim control under your right thumb, so you can have a double-handed grip on the DS while playing. Less hand cramping, more fun.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I imagine the next DS to have a multitouch touchpad over the entire lower surface, meaning you would have analog control under both thumbs (with thumb straps), or, if the game asks for it (Super Mario or such), to emulate binary controls ("up" versus "not up", as opposed to "slightly up, slightly more up, medium up, stern up, extreme up" like analog control would give you).

Imagine having analog aim control under your right thumb, so you can have a double-handed grip on the DS while playing. Less hand cramping, more fun.
That would be very cool if done properly. An entire touch sensitive (or whatever other technology is available) area with OLED display that allows for the game to have it's own customisable buttons that show up. Providing the sensitivity is just right it would be great though it could be difficult to get used to having no feedback when pressing a button.

skywarp

Trophies
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
If there will be a GBA succesor, it wouldn't come out untill next fall at the earliest. They need to space out the release of the Wii as well as big name titles for both that and the DS, so they don't compete with themselves.

SYN7HOR

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The only reason the DS wasn't touted as the next Gameboy was because the Gameboy franchise means too much to Nintendo. If the DS (Gameboy Touch! or wutevah) was to fail, Nintendo would be dead. But if the DS would fail, they could've just released a new Gameboy and dismiss the DS as an experiment gone wrong.

I don't see a new Gameboy coming before a new DS. That would be totally pointless. Who DOESN'T like two screens and touchcontrol?

Golds

Old Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only reason the DS wasn't touted as the next Gameboy was because the Gameboy franchise means too much to Nintendo. If the DS (Gameboy Touch! or wutevah) was to fail, Nintendo would be dead. But if the DS would fail, they could've just released a new Gameboy and dismiss the DS as an experiment gone wrong.

I don't see a new Gameboy coming before a new DS. That would be totally pointless. Who DOESN'T like two screens and touchcontrol?

the only time i dont like dual screen is when they try to make it all one big screen ie.. bubble bobble rev.

-KangaRod-

Trophies
Website
kangarod.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Canada

I dunno, I kinda like that - on the metroid movies and stuff.

Extreme Coder

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
While the DS may have set the standard for Nintendo in terms of portable handheld gaming, it might not be the same case for other competitiors. For example, if another PSP comes out, there's a very little chance it will have a touchscreen or another screen.
I think the DS is just a new GameBoy renamed(and DS sounds way cooler
smile.gif
)

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
My predictions?

Nintendo will call their new handheld "The Game Adolescent".
It will be covered with boobies and blood, and secrete a hormonal jelly that leaves a stain on the couch that won't come out.
Touch screen? Oh, you bet!
The pack-in game will be Exciting Witch Trial.
(I'll start working on a mock-up right away
wink.gif
)

dimsum411

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to see pressure sensitivity and a multipoint touch screen in the DS's next variant. I'd also like to see Blizzard get on board with nintendo again (remember starcraft 64?) and put out a new starcraft/warcraft rts game on the DS.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Ok, as promised, here's the Game Adolescent,
but the name's been changed to GameSaw 'cuz it's more manly.
Features:
-Monochrome Screen (color is for wussies)
-Human Flesh Tone and Texture (is it real?)
-Dried Blood Accents
-Touch Screen (finger included or use your own)
-Doki Doki Majo Saiban (Pedobear Approved)
-Pierced Buttons (with interchangeable bling)

GameSaw.jpg

Don't blame me.. it's the gaddam coffee's fault!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning