scorro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've been slowly going through the process of refurbing my old GBA SP, I've re-shelled it and I have put in a new battery, but it seems to be acting strangely.

When I plug in my SP to charge, as expected the orange light comes on and after a while goes off, but if I unplug it and immediately plug it back in, the orange light returns and can stay illuminated for a fair while. This happens every single time the light goes off, I can replug it in immediately and the time the orange light appears seems to be pretty erratic, sometimes it can be ages, sometimes maybe a minute.

The new battery is just an aftermarket Ebay one specified for a GBA SP (3.5V, 850mAh). I've also tried going over the board with isopropyl alcohol, cleaning contacts etc, but I'm still getting this issue.

Two other tidbits, that may not be as relevant but I'll add for contexts sake, I don't think the battery is losing charge because I didn't touch the console for around a month and when I powered it on it had about an hours worth of charge with full volume on (granted I can't remember if it was fully charged when I put it aside). Also, probably the least relevant as I'm pretty sure it used to do this when I first bought it new years ago, is that when it runs out of charge and turns off, I can turn it back on and get a few minutes play out of it with full volume.

(All these tests were done with an EZ-Flash Omega).

I want to finish this refurb with an IPS screen, but before investing in that and soldering it on, I want to get to the bottom of this issue as I am not exactly wealthy and I don't want to solder a £50 display to a faulty board, if it is in fact a problem with the board.

Any ideas what is causing this issue, and if so can it/how can it be fixed?

Kind Regards :)

Iamapirate

Trophies
XP
Country
This has happened for me on my 3DS XL. I'm not exactly sure why it happens but I doubt it's an issue. I have an 850mah aftermarket battery in my SP and it works like a charm.

Iamapirate

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, recreated the situation with a 750mah aftermarket battery. Trying it now on a genuine 600mah because I'm curious. Still highly doubt there's an issue, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny