Homebrew GBA on slot one???

ZenZero

GBATEMP's regular arse.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
hi,

I know that gba games on slot one cant be done but just wondered if anyone could explain for tme the technical reasons of why not?

tjas

The Gbatemp HRManager
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yes because the gba rom:

basic_rom.jpg

Does not fit in slot 1:

ds.jpg

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The Truth behind GBA emulation: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=72623

QUOTE said:
Now, I'm sure you've been told many many times that gba emulation on the nds is impossible well this is entirely untrue.

It is however impossible to software emulate the gba on nds well at any descent frame rate anyway.

It is possible to create a hypervisor using the mpu that translates the writes to the graphics and sound hardware of the gba to the nds hardware this however is hard to do which is why no one has done it well except for someone who will not under no circumstances release it because he does not condone piracy.

Using the hypervisor approach you can get full speed, maybe even faster, not to mention you could potentially add things such as save states etc but first someone would need to create a hypervisor and release it to the public.

I will not be creating a hypervisor but i thought i'd let others know that running GBA games from slot1 is not entirely impossible its just no one has bothered to code something that the nds hardware does natively and release it to the public.

now stop asking, everyone. hush. all of you. hush hush. I plead for sanity.

m-p{3}

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
legendofphil said:
Slot 1 also isn't as fast as Slot 2, some GBA games would probably suffer slowdown.
I thought it was the other way around ? I guess the Nintendo DS Browser would be faster if it wasn't because of the Slot-2 RAM.

Anyway, it is not practically possible to use GBA files from the Slot-1 in it's current state, and it is unlikely that this will happen because of affordable Slot-2 solution existing.

S

scubersteve

m-p{3} said:
legendofphil said:
Slot 1 also isn't as fast as Slot 2, some GBA games would probably suffer slowdown.
I thought it was the other way around ? I guess the Nintendo DS Browser would be faster if it wasn't because of the Slot-2 RAM.

Anyway, it is not practically possible to use GBA files from the Slot-1 in it's current state, and it is unlikely that this will happen because of affordable Slot-2 solution existing.
Affordable, but not free.
And that makes all the difference.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slot-2 requires lightning fast response times because the GBA only has 256 KB of RAM. Instructions are executed directly from the cartridge itself. DS games on the other hand load chunks of data from the cartridge into RAM and execute from there. This is why GBA games depend heavily on being run from very fast locations (such as NOR flash or fast RAM) while DS games depend on having fast access to a NAND-based device like a microSD card in order to stream resources from it.

Kaos

Good show!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
piepants said:
Is the lack of GBA support on slot 1 cards that big a deal anyway? I bought an ezflash 3-in-1 card for AU$20 that lets me run GBA games, and it supports the Opera browser with a patch to boot.
Same, except I don't need the patch because the CycloDS supports it natively. TAKE THAT, you R4 using people!

InuYasha

Professional Coke Fiend
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Kaos999 said:
piepants said:
Is the lack of GBA support on slot 1 cards that big a deal anyway? I bought an ezflash 3-in-1 card for AU$20 that lets me run GBA games, and it supports the Opera browser with a patch to boot.
Same, except I don't need the patch because the CycloDS supports it natively. TAKE THAT, you R4 using people!

Congrats on saving about 5-10 seconds......

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9kE3Env_2AY?si=Bs6lUZ0ZIlqmYaGT