Homebrew GBA on 3DS VC Remap Select > Y

TsukiyoX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. I'm not sure how many times this's been talked about, but I would like to use the Y button as the Select button (Y > Select) like in NES VC games (it's by default). I've commented in the ButtonSwap3DS thread but I'd wager I'd try my luck here. The reason I want this is basically Metroid Zero Mission (GBA VC) to switch to Super Missiles and back.

Literally from the OG GBA to the O3DS XL, the Select button was on the left side, making Super Missle selection easier. I have a N3DS XL and I have to put both my hands on the right side just to use 4 Missiles and a Super Missile in quick succession against Mother Brain for speedrunning purposes because Nintendo put the Start and Select on the right side :/. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, just imagine holding L to aim diagonally, holding R to use Missiles, B to shoot, and Select to switch between the regular and the Super Missiles).

Is there absolutely any way this could work on 3DS VC? I would appreciate this. If not, I heard about Retroarch and I'm wondering if it can run GBA games natively instead of emulating them so I can remap the Select button.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Playing in GBA VC means playing on real Game Boy Advance hardware. You can't remap buttons on it because it's not an emulator.

Use the latest nightly build of mGBA emulator. That game runs decently on my n3DSXL. You can remap buttons by pressing (X) → Configure → Remap controls.

Edit - You can also custom inject with NSUI using the Injection Method: RetroArch GpSP forwarder. This is also another emulator that does button remapping.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: Itzumi

TsukiyoX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Playing in GBA VC means playing on real Game Boy Advance hardware. You can't remap buttons on it because it's not an emulator.

Use the latest nightly build of mGBA emulator. That game runs decently on my n3DSXL. You can remap buttons by pressing (X) → Configure → Remap controls.

Thanks for your help. I did that but unfortunately, as I plan to speedrun and get decently good at it (If I keep practicing, maybe top 10), I don't want to play on an emulator that doesn't run full speed on the 3DS. I use mGBA to practice with save states, but it has slow downs (like in the beginning of Zero Mission) and it sounds horrible.

Fortunately, it's just one part of the whole game and Metroid Fusion (another game I practice on) doesn't have this problem as Super Missiles replaces regular Missiles.

But cheers.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3DS buttons are not "real" GBA hardware, there is translation going on with the VC, like interpreting the circle pad as 8 directional, and X doubling as B.

Like good luck figuring out the agb_firm yourself, but Nintendo could've easily programmed it that way if they wanted.

Reactions: N7Kopper

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    13,600 MB/s though
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I got a 980 pro iirc
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soldigms been pretty solid
    yeh 980 pro
    good enough tbf
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/gMNhZNI never heard about them but reviews are good
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, Crucial SSDs work fine. I have one installed in my Xbox.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reviews seem positive.
    I believe I had some Patriot RAM running in a computer somewhere
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $250 is pretty solid considering
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With the refund it'll be about $150
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    6tb nvme pc ftw
    500 GB NVMe, 750 GB
    SATA SSD 1 TB HDD
    honestly I don't play pc games
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't game
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Once I buy this I'll be around 20tb worth of storage tho if we're talking all my drives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All this crap I got and all I do is pick up the GabeDick to fiddle with his happy stick
    idk the total storage cap I have
    50 TB orso
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I don't play PC games often. Mostly its all 90s-00s games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hm doing research quite possible my issue with this drive is bios related not detecting it fully
    run crystaldisk?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't think it would do much if gnome live even sees it as 2mb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vmd issue possibly
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Vmd issue possibly