Homebrew gba multiplayer

unknown005

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
while the ds doesn't normally play gba games multiplayer at all, couldn't someone make a program to boot, not emulate, slot 2 through the firmware, similar to r4ds/m3 simply, but emulate an actual connection as if between gbas? for example, pc gba emulators can link before hand and simulate multiplayer through a network connection?

has anyone done this? is it even possible?

adamrgolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would say nothing is impossible... however, i doubt we ever see this functionality. sorry
frown.gif

Xeronage

Trophies
XP
Country
Virtualizing a GBA game, but intercepting any connection linking signals..

It could work out..but Im not up to date on the technical limitations

unknown005

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it could, depending on if nintendo just pasted the gba firmware directly onto there but made no ports or actually removed the code...
i would try, but i'm not so great at the multiplayer linking even outside of homebrew...
rolleyes.gif

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When the DS boots into GBA mode, ALL of the DS's additional features are disabled. This means that you cannot use the wifi connection at all while in GBA mode.

unknown005

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When the DS boots into GBA mode, ALL of the DS's additional features are disabled. This means that you cannot use the wifi connection at all while in GBA mode.

whoops, reviving old threads...
do you actually run in gba mode? it leaves a gba boot frame, meaning it's at least screwing with the way the firmware would normally want to run. i never said to go into gba mode, but is it possible to load through the firmware but stay in ds mode? just sleep one screen and keep using the antenna?

wait, if it was that easy then you could probably hack it to run gba roms off the slot 1...
blink.gif

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You must boot into GBA mode in order to run GBA binaries, simple as that. The ARM7 functions entirely differently between the two modes, so you can't run GBA games in DS mode at all.

Some guys on GBAdev did seem to find a few traces of what looked to be the link port on the motherboard, but it was incomplete.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-