Hacking GBA in Full Screen?

dpolishsensation

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way to make a GBA advance game on DS play in full screen (instead of having that damn black border around the game). It seems like a shame to not be able to use the whole screen. I was also wondering the same thing about nes and other emulators. Do they run full screen or are they also in that black bordered box mode?
smile.gif

Heinrisch

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The ratio of the screen thoese games where made for is different. It prob. won't look good streched, thats why they did not even give that option. *guessing*

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There is a program that lets you change the black border to a colour or an image of your choice out there, too lazy to look for it. Its on the front page of scdev.org though

Falkentyne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way to make a GBA advance game on DS play in full screen (instead of having that damn black border around the game). It seems like a shame to not be able to use the whole screen. I was also wondering the same thing about nes and other emulators. Do they run full screen or are they also in that black bordered box mode?
smile.gif

The DS is NOT a CRT screen. Therefore, playing any game that's not in its native resolution (the GBA has a certain pixel width x height size) will cause pretty horrible distortion. This is the same as trying to use a non native resolution on a LCD computer monitor. Try 1024x768 on a LCD to see what I'm talking about (you have to use 800x600, 1280x1024, 1600x1200, as far as I know, although I wouldn't touch a LCD computer monitor yet).

And the G6 is NOT an emulator! It uses the real hardware of the DS, but with fast memory to take the place of cart memory.

I suspect with a screen the size of a GBA, using a non native aspect ratio would look far worse than doing similar on a computer monitor.

And as the others said, the GBA had a smaller screen than the DS.

However...I thought the GBA had a more 'square' scren.... Is the DS in GBA mode already "stretched?"
If that's so, then using full screen could make things worse....

wohoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Is there any way to make a GBA advance game on DS play in full screen (instead of having that damn black border around the game). It seems like a shame to not be able to use the whole screen. I was also wondering the same thing about nes and other emulators. Do they run full screen or are they also in that black bordered box mode?
smile.gif

The DS is NOT a CRT screen. Therefore, playing any game that's not in its native resolution (the GBA has a certain pixel width x height size) will cause pretty horrible distortion. This is the same as trying to use a non native resolution on a LCD computer monitor. Try 1024x768 on a LCD to see what I'm talking about (you have to use 800x600, 1280x1024, 1600x1200, as far as I know, although I wouldn't touch a LCD computer monitor yet).

And the G6 is NOT an emulator! It uses the real hardware of the DS, but with fast memory to take the place of cart memory.

I suspect with a screen the size of a GBA, using a non native aspect ratio would look far worse than doing similar on a computer monitor.

And as the others said, the GBA had a smaller screen than the DS.

However...I thought the GBA had a more 'square' scren.... Is the DS in GBA mode already "stretched?"
If that's so, then using full screen could make things worse....

LCD sucks, yeah, but that resolution thing.. i don't think it's any problems with that AT ALL... i got a TFT (Samsung 730BF, 4ms etc) and i can have high/low/middle resolutions without any limits (except for the max resolution)

leoedin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
in GBA mode, the code only has access to GBA hardware. It thinks it only has a GBA resolution screen, a 33mhz processer and no X and Y buttons. I guess it might be possible to run GBA in NDS mode and wrap stuff round the screen/put stuff on the bottom screen, but that might be very hard.

As for emulation - use a DS based emulator such as NesDS instead of pocketNES.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: That counts as a software update :tpi: