GBA in Full Screen?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by dpolishsensation, Aug 15, 2006.

Aug 15, 2006

GBA in Full Screen? by dpolishsensation at 5:32 AM (1,149 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. dpolishsensation
    OP

Newcomer dpolishsensation Member

United States
    Is there any way to make a GBA advance game on DS play in full screen (instead of having that damn black border around the game). It seems like a shame to not be able to use the whole screen. I was also wondering the same thing about nes and other emulators. Do they run full screen or are they also in that black bordered box mode? [​IMG]

2. Heinrisch

Member Heinrisch GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    The ratio of the screen thoese games where made for is different. It prob. won't look good streched, thats why they did not even give that option. *guessing*

3. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    There is a program that lets you change the black border to a colour or an image of your choice out there, too lazy to look for it. Its on the front page of scdev.org though

4. Falkentyne

Member Falkentyne GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The DS is NOT a CRT screen. Therefore, playing any game that's not in its native resolution (the GBA has a certain pixel width x height size) will cause pretty horrible distortion. This is the same as trying to use a non native resolution on a LCD computer monitor. Try 1024x768 on a LCD to see what I'm talking about (you have to use 800x600, 1280x1024, 1600x1200, as far as I know, although I wouldn't touch a LCD computer monitor yet).

And the G6 is NOT an emulator! It uses the real hardware of the DS, but with fast memory to take the place of cart memory.

I suspect with a screen the size of a GBA, using a non native aspect ratio would look far worse than doing similar on a computer monitor.

And as the others said, the GBA had a smaller screen than the DS.

However...I thought the GBA had a more 'square' scren.... Is the DS in GBA mode already "stretched?"
    If that's so, then using full screen could make things worse....

5. wohoo

Member wohoo GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    LCD sucks, yeah, but that resolution thing.. i don't think it's any problems with that AT ALL... i got a TFT (Samsung 730BF, 4ms etc) and i can have high/low/middle resolutions without any limits (except for the max resolution)

6. leoedin

Member leoedin GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    in GBA mode, the code only has access to GBA hardware. It thinks it only has a GBA resolution screen, a 33mhz processer and no X and Y buttons. I guess it might be possible to run GBA in NDS mode and wrap stuff round the screen/put stuff on the bottom screen, but that might be very hard.

As for emulation - use a DS based emulator such as NesDS instead of pocketNES.