Hacking GBA flashcart sav solution-

Ballistic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice to finally to talk to you all after all this lurking around in this forum. Anyways, I'll get right to the point!

I've used a couple GBA flashcart (for both NDSphat and NDSL) in my day. And well, they just don't turn out too well and the battery eventually start to die or hardware malfunction and my savs get wiped from time to time. My main GBA flashcarts are EZ Flash 3 in 1 and E-Link 1Gb version (the white one). Thus, I want to know is there is such a cart that does not resort to battery life to save (in a way similar to slot-1 carts like R4 and AceKard).

NOTE: I have had horrible experiences with soldering. Broke my friend's $1,000ish Guitar doing that. So I don't think I want to touch those tools no matter how pain-free and easy the process may be.

Thanks for your time!

-Ballistic

Evilmaster1985

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright I have a EZflash 3-1 myself.
Luckly the battery still works but Ive already started thinking about what to do if it gets dry.

Would you want to try this:
I heared the battery is used to keep up savegames in memmory while the NDS is powered off.

Now for some reason I think that if you played your GBA game.
Power off your NDS and power it on ASAP there MIGHT be a chance it dint get deleted?
(In other words swap the NDS on so fast again it dint infact lose power)
(If this works you would be able to use gbaexploader to load or write saves from slot1 on or to slot2)
Please do try this id like to hear or it works.

Greetz, Vistabuser.

Ballistic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well...I will get to trying that, but firstly...my saves do not get wiped everytime I power off, it just happens occasionally for a reason I do not yet know. But thanks for the tip, I'll get right on to trying that.

-Ballistic

EDIT:Oh by the way, if there so happens to be a few non-battery dependent saving flashcart out there (which I sort of doubt), I'd like some specs such as RTS and the convenience without having to flash a game to the expansion pack every time I want to play something different (RTS being the lower priority). A more user-friendly ROM writing program would be nice, hell...even the favored drag-n-drop style. The E-Link program gave me hell every time I want to write a new game.

But if all fails...I might just go for the M3 Lite Perfect...

Evilmaster1985

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for misreading
smile.gif

Hmmm if it does stay the one time but doesnt stay the other I dont think its a battery problem.

So to be clear:
If you flashed a game to NOR.
Remove the slot 1.
Reboot the NDS and launch GBA game
Savegame power off and relaunch the GBA game from NDS menu.

Does it keep the savegame?
(I ask this because this way you would be sure to not load a savegame from the slot 1 to the slot 2 making you think the 3-1 saved the game properly but infact it dint.)

Greetz, Vistabuser.

Ballistic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, very sorry for not clarifying. The EZ Flash was the one with dead battery, which was one of the reasons that lead me to creating this thread. The E-Link is the whacky one...

Before it stopped saving, the EZ flash was working fine.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The slot-2 M3 Perfect and slot-2 Supercard (not Rumble) all save to a *.sav file on your SD card rather than to an internal battery. However, the slot-2 Supercards are pretty bad at GBA support (slow RAM = slowdown in some games), so I would not suggest that.

I'd also check into the EZ-Flash IV, which may or may not support saving directly to the card (I honestly have no idea).

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
DanTheManMS said:
I'd also check into the EZ-Flash IV, which may or may not support saving directly to the card (I honestly have no idea).
It doesn't. It first saves the save data onto the onboard SRAM and when you reboot your GBA/DS it backups the data to a .sav file.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Don't walk towards the light!