GBA emulator for GBA?

Discussion in 'GBA - Emulation' started by Sergey, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Sergey
    OP

Sergey Member

Newcomer
    Sep 20, 2015
    Iceland
    Hi guys,

Is there an emulator for GBA (like Goomba for .gb files) that can take a .gba file and wrap it with features like save/load a state?

Thanks

Last edited by Sergey, Sep 20, 2015
  2. Baccabechoppin

Baccabechoppin GBAtemp's Finest Bacca!

Aug 10, 2015
    Australia
    Magnolia Town
    Why not just use a gba flashcart? Fairly sure that's the closest you're gonna get to a 'gba emulator'

3. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    Emulate a platform on the platform it is emulating? Emuception!

Maybe I didn't quite understand what you are wanting to ask.

4. cots

cots GBAtemp Fan

Dec 29, 2014
    United States
    I'd also like to know if there is a decent GBA emulator for NDS systems and not the SuperCard DSTWO. I don't have one of those, but have a DSi with a NDS flashcard.

5. link6155

link6155 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    "GBA emulator for GBA?"

Huh? Why do you want a Gameboy Advance emulator for the Gameboy Advance?

There isn't any wrapper for GBA roms for other system as many other systems already have emulators available.

There is a GBA emulator here: http://ichfly.github.io/gbaemu4DS/

Last edited by link6155, Sep 20, 2015
    teampleb likes this.
  6. cots

cots GBAtemp Fan

Dec 29, 2014
    United States
    That sucks. I have the EZ Flash V GBA flashcard, but the DSi doesn't have a slot for it.

7. link6155

link6155 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    Actually I take back what I said. There is a GBA emulator for NDS flashcart: http://ichfly.github.io/gbaemu4DS/

This may or may not work depending on what flashcard you have. The emulator can get pretty wacky on some roms but many roms are playable.

Last edited by link6155, Sep 20, 2015
  8. cots

cots GBAtemp Fan

Dec 29, 2014
    United States
    Thanks I'll check this out.

9. Baccabechoppin

Aug 10, 2015
    Australia
    Magnolia Town
    This seems like one of the strangest requests I've seen on this site (Besides >9.2 kernel access) I mean, why emulate a system on it's native hardware? I don't even know if that's possible (someone will prove me wrong on that). I don't even see any reason for someone to develop such a thing, it would just be a waste of time when you could easily grab a flash card and a micro SD card. (GBA flash cards use micro SD don't they?)

10. cots

cots GBAtemp Fan

Dec 29, 2014
    United States
    I tried with an Acekard 2i and it doesn't work. Too bad.

11. Sergey
    OP

Sergey Member

Newcomer
    Sep 20, 2015
    Iceland
    Many GBA games don't write to disk, they just provide us with a password we should write down to insert it later when we want to continue the game from that point. I'm looking for a wrapper that would be able to snapshot the progress at any point and write it to disk.

12. link6155

link6155 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    I'm pretty sure most GBA games save the game data using the battery inside the cartridge. NES games on the other hand didn't have this (except for Zelda and some other games), so you have to use a password/code to continue from where you left off.

13. Sergey
    OP

Sergey Member

Newcomer
    Sep 20, 2015
    Iceland
    Most GBA games I stumbled upon use password system which is embarrassing.

14. Baccabechoppin

Aug 10, 2015
    Australia
    Magnolia Town
    What's wrong with passwords? Just write the suckers down! That's what I did with all my GBA games if they had passwords! :yaysp:

15. Sergey
    OP

Sergey Member

Newcomer
    Sep 20, 2015
    Iceland
    Just looking for something more efficient :)

16. Baccabechoppin

Aug 10, 2015
    Australia
    Magnolia Town
    All right fair enough. I know that it can be tedious writing down several codes just to continue in a game, and then if you loose them you've gotta start all over again. However I don't believe an emulator would help achieve this. (Hell I don't even think a flashcart would help)

17. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    GBA Emulator on a GBA? Wouldn't that be pointless? Considering the hardware needed to run GBA games is already there, so you don't need to emulate it. As for, essentially, save states, no. The GBA doesn't have anything to allow it to do it hardware side, so it would have to be done software side, as in the game itself.

Assuming you have a flashcart, not only would have you have to create a game specific patch that would tell it to dump the RAM and VRAM to the SRAM (since that's the only writable memory it can address), you'd also have to patch it to load the SRAM back into the RAM and VRAM on boot, you'd have to create a flashcart that has a large enough SRAM, and you'd have to include in that game specific patch the ability to address that much SRAM. It would take a lot of work and time for something very niche. Even then, it would probably be unstable and maybe not workable at all.

18. Baccabechoppin

Aug 10, 2015
    Australia
    Magnolia Town
    Good explanation, now run it by me again in English! :wacko:

19. Sergey
    OP

Sergey Member

Newcomer
    Sep 20, 2015
    Iceland
    Thanks. I'll look into that.

20. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    Short answer, it's not going to happen. You're better off just picking up change off the street to buy a PSP to run a GBA emulator that (I think) supports save states.