Hacking GBA Emulation on the 3DS?

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pachura said:
Remember that 3DS' screen has different resolution, so even if someone manages to run GBA games on it in the future, they will look soft and blurred. DS vs. GBA did not differ that much and games were sharp and pixel-perfect.
That is, unless the emulator supports scaling and filters.
It seems unlikely, but Lameboy did it on the DS (although the 1.5x scale and pixel filter looked awful).

ultimatt42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS should be able to emulate the GBA pretty easily. Nintendo won't tell us what CPU it's using, but rumors say it's got two 266 MHz ARM11 cores. To compare, the DSi has a 133 MHz ARM9 and a 33 MHz ARM7, the DS has a 67 MHz ARM9 and a 33 MHz ARM7, and the GBA has a 16.8 MHz ARM7. I don't know if the dual-core 266 MHz spec is right, but it's completely reasonable when you look at the strategy Nintendo's used on their previous handhelds.

Given that ARM CPUs are all pretty similar even between generations (and Nintendo has probably specifically tweaked the design to make them MORE similar to make backward compatibility easier), it's perfectly reasonable to compare clock speeds directly. So it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that the 3DS is over ten times faster than the GBA. As a rule of thumb, it usually takes about 10x more CPU power to emulate a system with a different architecture, and the 3DS easily meets that requirement.

libertyernie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
pachura said:
Remember that 3DS' screen has different resolution, so even if someone manages to run GBA games on it in the future, they will look soft and blurred. DS vs. GBA did not differ that much and games were sharp and pixel-perfect.
It seems unlikely, but Lameboy did it on the DS (although the 1.5x scale and pixel filter looked awful).
One option would be to show the GBA screen on the bottom screen of the 3DS, which is the same resolution as the DS (and so it would have a 1:1 pixel ratio.)

ultimatt42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
libertyernie said:
_Chaz_ said:
pachura said:
One option would be to show the GBA screen on the bottom screen of the 3DS, which is the same resolution as the DS (and so it would have a 1:1 pixel ratio.)

Actually it's not. The DS's screens are each 256x192, and the 3DS's lower screen is 320x240. That's why DS games blur a little when you play them on the 3DS, because of the upscaling. The GBA is even lower resolution, at 240x160.

outlaw1994

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
actually if anyone tried as i have it would work
here is a list of what i use

• acekard2i with 3ds update
  • nintendo 3ds
  • gba exploader 0.58b need this other versions do not work [url=http://%20

Nebz

The N00b
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States

Amrulez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would imagine one of the biggest reasons the PS3 wasn't hacked sooner was because Blu-ray games are gigantic in size. OtherOS is not the reason why, though its removal led to it being hacked so..

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Amrulez said:
I would imagine one of the biggest reasons the PS3 wasn't hacked sooner was because Blu-ray games are gigantic in size. OtherOS is not the reason why, though its removal led to it being hacked so..

It had nothing to do with the size of blu-rays. It has been said by the people who hacked it that the reason they did, was to restore OtherOS, nothing else. The reason it wasn't hacked for three years, was because for the first two years nobody wanted to.

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nebula91 said:
tbowd12 said:
actually if anyone tried as i have it would work
here is a list of what i use

Ummmm what? Don't you need like a slot 2 expansion thing for that or something?
Yep. That's how it's supposed to work. it should only work in DS and DS lite.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Amrulez said:

PS3 games are not gigantic in size and a majority of the disc is filled with filler data much like wii games. Only a few games actually use 30+ gigs of space on the disc such as Final Fantasy 13 and a lot of that was cinematic and uncompressed music files.

robo989

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3020 said:
Amrulez said:

PS3 games are not gigantic in size and a majority of the disc is filled with filler data much like wii games. Only a few games actually use 30+ gigs of space on the disc such as Final Fantasy 13 and a lot of that was cinematic and uncompressed music files.

Indeed, nearly all PS3 games fit on a DVD, they are under 8GB for the most part. The ones that aren't generally just have a lot of 1080p video clips, and\or have mulitple languages on the disc.

For example, you can strip the game Killzone 3 down from 40GB to 20GB just by deleting the 3d video clips.

Although you're wrong about the filler like on the Wii, the Wii uses garbage data to pad out the game. The PS3 doesn't because all data gets read at the same speed on the bluray drive on a PS3. They often repeat data though to avoid pauses during seeking so it is layed out sequentially.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Giganutz