Hacking GBA Backup Tool isn't working

chronoquairium

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[SOLVED?] (GBA Backup Tool deleted my save data somehow, so the issue is now irrelevant.)

Moving this from my thread in 3DS because I realized it fit here more, and nobody is paying attention to it anyways. Also edited it to clarify.

The exact problem
I am attempting to use GBA Backup Tool to extract the save file from a copy of Dynasty Warriors Advance. Everything works - the tool boots up, it recognizes the game, extracts the save, it creates the backup folder, it creates the file. The only problem is that the output .sav is completely blank - it's as if the game was booted for the first time.

The details
Using an R4i-SDHC 3DS RTS, I installed the GBA Backup Tool and attempted to back up my copy of Dynasty Warriors Advance. It recognized the game and succeeding in creating a backup .sav. I used the 3DS's GodMode9 to inject the .sav into a VC version of the game, and the injection was successful. I then boot up the game, and it acts as if it's the first time I played the game. To check, I put it in No$GBA (with the .sav in the battery file) to check, and the same result happens - I'm getting a full blank out of my save file, even after doing all the steps correctly. VBA-M and mGBA do the same thing.

I have an image of my DS recognizing the game and type of save file in post #3.

Can anyone help?

Last edited by chronoquairium,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Why… I totally forgot this. My test results: GBA Backup Tool used to dump ROM and save on a game with:
  • SRAM → .sav worked with No$GBA and GBA Virtual Console
  • Flash → .sav worked with No$GBA
  • EEPROM → .sav was ignored/overwritten by No$GBA but worked with mgba (desktop version)
Only tested one game of each save type so far and did not try to inject Flash/EEPROM save to GBA Virtual Console.

chronoquairium

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why… I totally forgot this. My test results: GBA Backup Tool used to dump ROM and save on a game with:
  • SRAM → .sav worked with No$GBA and GBA Virtual Console
  • Flash → .sav worked with No$GBA
  • EEPROM → .sav was ignored/overwritten by No$GBA but worked with mgba (desktop version)
Only tested one game of each save type so far and did not try to inject Flash/EEPROM save to GBA Virtual Console.
...I'm sorry but how does that help me solve the problem?

EDIT: I'm going to add three things to hopefully clarify this.
1. The problem is that it gives me an output file, but for some reason, the file is blank.
2. I have now tested 3DS VC, no$GBA, VBA-M, and MGBA. They all claim to work, and use the save file given (no other one is made). However, it is as if the game was just started.
3. Have a picture.
W0n0SYm.jpg
W0n0SYm

nwuQkhg

Last edited by chronoquairium,

chronoquairium

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bumping this because my problem still hasn't been solved, and edited the OP for clarification.
Please, I've done all I can and can't do this on my own. I need help.

chronoquairium

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello.:)

Maybe it has something to do with the SAV size ?:unsure:
It set to Auto as i see on the Picture.

Please look at this:

https://digiex.net/threads/gba-back...ameboy-advanced-rom-using-a-nintendo-ds.9921/

I have already seen that thread. Unfortunately, the solution is not in there.
The question asked in the replies states that the .sav was backed up, and the data carried over. The problem he had was injecting the save data back into the ROM.
My issue is that when I back up the .sav, even though it claims it's a success, no data carries over - it's as if I never did anything at all.

chronoquairium

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...so I used nds-savegame-manager. And it was also blank.
I got suspicious, and decided to check the game itself.
AND THREE HUNDRED HOURS OF DATA IS GONE.
...so now I've lost it all and this thread is irrelevant.
Thank you though zfreeman, this'll probably be what I use from now on.

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@chronoquairium You didn't select the initialize option in the rudolph tool by any chance?
Because only with that or an empty battery in the cartridge the save file is completely wiped.

The wood dumper is pretty good on DS or the 3DS version as it also has more games it works with and the ds games contain their original header when dumped.
Edit: Sorry didn't catch the advance part on the first read, but the initialize stuff may still be relevant.

Last edited by Wuigi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...