Leyoh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi everyone!

First of all, I wanna say I'm new to all these linkers stuff so please don't expect me to understand everything super clearly! But I'll try my best to Google everything I don't get first.

So to my issue now, we need a bit of context:

I have this exact R4 card: amzn.to/3bKA4UD

And I'm trying to back up my Emerald save using a DS Lite, with the GBA Back Up Tool, but everytime I try to access the tool, I get this error:
FAT initialization failed.
Please apply the appropriate DLDI Patch.

I've formatted my 16GB SD card multiple time in the FAT32 format, and tried using a DLDI patch (even though I'm not sure I did right, since it was the first time and couldn't find a clear tutorial on how to do it) even though I've read somewhere my card has an auto-DLDI patcher?

I've even tried the "savegame-manager" tool, which also failed miserably by simply telling me "DLDI error".

At this point, I don't know what to do and I'm this close to give up. I've bought the R4 card just for this (exactly, it's to get a semi-legit Mew from Emerald that I could trade to have the 151 gen 1 pokemon on my Fire Red version...) and it's really frustrating ahah.

Thanks everyone for the help you could provide! :)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That is odd.
If the label on that amazon link is correct (there are thousands of different things with R4 in the name, many not compatible with each other) then
http://r4isdhc.com.cn/index.php?m=home&c=View&a=index&aid=306 should be the download, in the "__rpg/" folder there is a file called "r4isd.dldi".

We have not had a DS slot cart, much less one like this that aims to be good, not DLDI patch automatically for many many years now and if it is indeed a hack to the wood kernel that would be even more surprising.
If you still needed a tool to patch DLDI patches into the homebrew program then http://www.chishm.com/DLDI/#tools has a bunch.

That said
Maximum support 512G TF card. For the TF card larger than 32G, please use diskgen software to format it into FAT32 format before copying the kernel file.

If you are using a 16 gig SD card (TF is short for transflash, an older name for microSD and I guess one that stuck around in China) that might mean FAT32 is not needed but FAT16 is limited to 2 gigs so probably not.

Leyoh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
SO!

I indeed have this kernel, and found the "r4isd.dldi" file, and tried to patch my back up tools with the Win32 GUI patcher. Now, I have a screen saying "FAT Initialize" before the error screen comes back. I guess there's progress?

I wanted to try and format my SD card in FAT16 but somehow I can't with the Windows tool. So I tried with another 1GB SD Card (don't ask...) and got the same result.

At this point I'm wondering if maybe the fault is in the linker?

EDIT: Oh and btw thanks for trying to help me!

flameshadow101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having the same problem too, and I've also tried patching it (both with the right click patcher and with the one that OP used), neither of those have done anything to help the situation. I've downloaded the latest kernel from the site that was linked and that also has done nothing.

I did try the save game manager and while I didn't get a dldi error, it didn't go past the first screen.

I'll also upload a picture of my disk just in case...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-25 233325.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-25 233325.png
    76.6 KB · Views: 163

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used gba backup tool for all of my games and saves, and I don't recall this error. I was using a ds lite with the supercard dstwo.

flameshadow101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using the same model as OP... I wouldn't be surprised if that's the problem and I'm really not looking forward to having to order another one :(

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure then. not much seems to be in the .ini file anyway. you may have the wrong version. check the hash of the one you have with the one above that I used for all of my games.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

hashtab is the easiest way to get the hashes. that's what that photo is of. just go to properties, and there will be an extra tab for the hashes.

flameshadow101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have the hashtab when I go to properties but I managed to find the CRC32 and we definitely have different numbers, same (as in we also have different values) for the SHA

Last edited by flameshadow101,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't upload my version, since it's against the rules. however, I wish you could try it to see if the same thing happens.

hashtab is something you install to add that tab in properties. it should be pretty easy to find, but I have the install file:

Attachments

• HashTab_v6.0.0.34_Setup.exe.zip
    963.2 KB · Views: 116

flameshadow101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's my hashes. Also, I downloaded the tool from the original website it was posted on.. so idk what's up with that.

Edit: So i've been doing some more experimenting, and it seems that when I used the dldi updater tool with the dldi file that is on my flashcart (instead of the one downloaded off the internet) it gives better results because the 'fat initialize' screen lasts longer before it displays the error screen,

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-26 000424.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-26 000424.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 145
Last edited by flameshadow101,

flameshadow101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK I fixed my situation so maybe I can fix yours too...

So I realized there was a winrar file called woodcore.rar, inside there were 3 different kernals, one of which named 'CN R4 WOOD v1.62 multi lang'.
So I copied that __rpg file over the current __rpg file and then used the method above with the new dldi file (from the new __rpg folder) and that made the backup tool work.

Just let me know if this is too confusing because I am half awake writing this, I just wanted to get my steps down so I don't forget.

Leyoh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hey flameshadow101, your answer is giving me hopes lol.

Where did you find that woodcore.rar file exactly? I don't seem to have it, so I've looked it up on the internet and found it, downloaded it and put the __rpg folder instead of the one on my flashcart. Patched the gba back up tool with the dldi file found in the __rpg folder. Doesn't do much more to be honest. Could you maybe slide in my DM and send me the exact files you have so I could try with the exact same setup you have?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gonna love it when the next update blocks them