GB Micro owners: How's the d-pad?

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by other, Sep 19, 2006.

Sep 19, 2006
  1. other
    OP

Member other GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    I'm thinking about buying a GB Micro, and since my experience with the DS Lite is: "crappy d-pad, bad diagonals", I was wondering if the GB Micro suffers from the same thing? From what I've read, no, it doesn't. I just want to be ultra sure before buying.

I'd also like to know if it has any other issues.

2. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Well I got one really lucky some months ago for free out of a trade basically new (Famicom one too!) and I've put some time on it for sure.

The D-pad I find is quite precise and never had a diagonal issue, and I own the jP ver of that old gba game SuperStreet Fighter 2 X Revival and my fireballs roll smooth. Then again I don't find the dslite to have a crap dpad either, actually find it slightly nicer than the original I used to have.

Some people don't like the L/R on the micro saying it's more clicky and you have to use the knuckle joint point of your hand to squeeze the button down, but I just tap it like old GBA or whatever, except it hasn't given me handcramps like GBA old did.

3. Lily

Former Staff Lily One Scary Lady

Canada
    If you don't like the DS Lite d-pad, you won't like the Game Boy Micro pad, as they're pretty much the exact same thing.

Personally, I think they rock hard over the previous GBA & DS d-pads. It's all a matter of preference.

4. other
    OP

Sweden
    Well, it might just be the fact that I've gotten a crappy d-pad. Not every DS Lite has it, but it seems that the black european model is most prone to this problem. I already whined about it in this thread though: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=36009

If the Micro has no problem registering diagonals, then it should be fine. I just don't want to have problems like not being able to walk properly in Zelda.

5. Lily

Former Staff Lily One Scary Lady

Canada
    I don't find it to have any trouble at all with diagonals - and let me tell you, I play my GB Micro more than any other handheld or console. Best Game Boy ever.

6. other
    OP

Sweden
    Well it certainly sounds like I must get one. I've never owned a GBA (and basically haven't played any GBA on my DS since I have a SuperCard for it), so there's plenty to keep me occupied. Just got to try and sell my Lite first. [​IMG]

7. Vater Unser

Member Vater Unser GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    the GB Micro d-pad looks just like the DS Lite d-pad, but it's much better...there are no problems with the diagonals, it also feels nicer than the DS Lite's...I played a lot with my GB Micro, and I never had any problems with the d-pad

so, even if you don't like the DS Lite d-pad, there's no need to worry

8. Sick Wario

Member Sick Wario Club Nintendo

United Arab Emirates
    the worst are those 'circular' dpads and 'separated' dpads
    you gotta love nintendo's new universal, cross-style dpad.
    my micro/ds lites/soon Wii all have the same size/shape dpad. no diagonal problems here.

9. other
    OP

Sweden
    So how do you all experience the battery life? Nintendo says the Micro will get 13 hours with minimal lighting, but I read this thread where the poster says he can't get more than 5 hours battery life with the lowest lighting and an EZ3 (and 8 hours without EZ3). If I buy a Micro, I would probably use it with an EZ3.

10. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    I've had my gb micro since it came out and have had no problem. I use the EZA flashcart that fits perfectly in the GB micro. Its great but a little too small for my liking. If I'd know I would have got the GBA SP with the brighter light instead. The GBA SP is the perfect handheld console, size wise and its robust as well.

11. other
    OP

Sweden
    Isn't the DS Lite... smaller? It's wider, but other than that?

12. JohnDrake

Banned JohnDrake Banned

United Kingdom
    I love my GBM! Never had any probs with my D-pad.

13. other
    OP

Sweden
    I just got a GameBoy Micro today, and I just wanted to say its d-pad is NOTHING like the DS Lite's d-pad. The Micro one is like a million times better. The difference is enormous.

14. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    so true, gb micro is perfect [​IMG]

Screen, d-pad everything [​IMG] And they are only 50 euro now in the store.

15. other
    OP

Sweden
    I wonder why they made the DS Lite one so shitty. I mean they had a good d-pad with the micro, why screw that up? I bought another DS Lite today, and it's pretty much as bad as the one I sold.

16. rezen

Member rezen GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I can honestly say that the GBM had an awesome d-pad... though I found it a bit small and then got used to it.

I have played with a few DSlites as well and the diagonal issue is something that rarely happens... but happened out of the 4 units I've tested (mine!! everyone else got lucky :'()

I have sent mine back to Nintendo UK and they've confirmed that I will be getting a new unit. I should be getting me a replacement soon enough I hope!!!!!!

17. lastdual

lastdual Newbie

lol. Yeah, Sony and MS can't seem to make a good D-pad....

It's too bad though. I enjoy using the 360 controller for emulation, but that poor excuse for a D-pad, even a keyboard is better when it comes to fighting games.

18. other
    OP

Sweden
    I would take the 360 d-pad over the DS Lite d-pad anytime. At least you can use diagonals without punishing the controller.