Hardware GB Micro owners: How's the d-pad?

other

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm thinking about buying a GB Micro, and since my experience with the DS Lite is: "crappy d-pad, bad diagonals", I was wondering if the GB Micro suffers from the same thing? From what I've read, no, it doesn't. I just want to be ultra sure before buying.

I'd also like to know if it has any other issues.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I got one really lucky some months ago for free out of a trade basically new (Famicom one too!) and I've put some time on it for sure.

The D-pad I find is quite precise and never had a diagonal issue, and I own the jP ver of that old gba game SuperStreet Fighter 2 X Revival and my fireballs roll smooth. Then again I don't find the dslite to have a crap dpad either, actually find it slightly nicer than the original I used to have.

Some people don't like the L/R on the micro saying it's more clicky and you have to use the knuckle joint point of your hand to squeeze the button down, but I just tap it like old GBA or whatever, except it hasn't given me handcramps like GBA old did.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you don't like the DS Lite d-pad, you won't like the Game Boy Micro pad, as they're pretty much the exact same thing.

Personally, I think they rock hard over the previous GBA & DS d-pads. It's all a matter of preference.

other

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you don't like the DS Lite d-pad, you won't like the Game Boy Micro pad, as they're pretty much the exact same thing.

Personally, I think they rock hard over the previous GBA & DS d-pads. It's all a matter of preference.

Well, it might just be the fact that I've gotten a crappy d-pad. Not every DS Lite has it, but it seems that the black european model is most prone to this problem. I already whined about it in this thread though: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=36009

If the Micro has no problem registering diagonals, then it should be fine. I just don't want to have problems like not being able to walk properly in Zelda.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't find it to have any trouble at all with diagonals - and let me tell you, I play my GB Micro more than any other handheld or console. Best Game Boy ever.

other

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well it certainly sounds like I must get one. I've never owned a GBA (and basically haven't played any GBA on my DS since I have a SuperCard for it), so there's plenty to keep me occupied. Just got to try and sell my Lite first.
smile.gif

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
the GB Micro d-pad looks just like the DS Lite d-pad, but it's much better...there are no problems with the diagonals, it also feels nicer than the DS Lite's...I played a lot with my GB Micro, and I never had any problems with the d-pad

so, even if you don't like the DS Lite d-pad, there's no need to worry

Sick Wario

Club Nintendo
Trophies
XP
Country
the worst are those 'circular' dpads and 'separated' dpads
you gotta love nintendo's new universal, cross-style dpad.
my micro/ds lites/soon Wii all have the same size/shape dpad. no diagonal problems here.

other

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So how do you all experience the battery life? Nintendo says the Micro will get 13 hours with minimal lighting, but I read this thread where the poster says he can't get more than 5 hours battery life with the lowest lighting and an EZ3 (and 8 hours without EZ3). If I buy a Micro, I would probably use it with an EZ3.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've had my gb micro since it came out and have had no problem. I use the EZA flashcart that fits perfectly in the GB micro. Its great but a little too small for my liking. If I'd know I would have got the GBA SP with the brighter light instead. The GBA SP is the perfect handheld console, size wise and its robust as well.

other

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I just got a GameBoy Micro today, and I just wanted to say its d-pad is NOTHING like the DS Lite's d-pad. The Micro one is like a million times better. The difference is enormous.

other

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I wonder why they made the DS Lite one so shitty. I mean they had a good d-pad with the micro, why screw that up? I bought another DS Lite today, and it's pretty much as bad as the one I sold.

rezen

Trophies
XP
Country
I can honestly say that the GBM had an awesome d-pad... though I found it a bit small and then got used to it.

I have played with a few DSlites as well and the diagonal issue is something that rarely happens... but happened out of the 4 units I've tested (mine!! everyone else got lucky :'()

I have sent mine back to Nintendo UK and they've confirmed that I will be getting a new unit. I should be getting me a replacement soon enough I hope!!!!!!

other

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the worst are those 'circular' dpads and 'separated' dpads
lol. Yeah, Sony and MS can't seem to make a good D-pad....

It's too bad though. I enjoy using the 360 controller for emulation, but that poor excuse for a D-pad, even a keyboard is better when it comes to fighting games.

I would take the 360 d-pad over the DS Lite d-pad anytime. At least you can use diagonals without punishing the controller.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.