Hacking Gateway payback?

hiron

Trophies
XP
Country
haha don't twist my words lol... i had a girlfriend like you... geez
i am just saying that you did not pay to download the beta loader, that bricked your 3ds.
you paid for the hardware, the card.

So you are saying tha hardware company can do whatever they want with the software (inject virus/brick your pc etc). As long as they dont add the software to the product?

So a DVD drive with no software, the software is downloadable on their website. THAT software has virus/brickcode and whatever. THAT is ok? I think everyone will agree it doesnt work like it should.

If Sony did that they would get a shitstorm over them. Look, hoping for a cashback is pointless(too shady) but not considering the product as faulty is not logical.

Chiodo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stop with the "analogies", mother of God. This is the ONLY one that actually relates to the OP, and I'm not even kidding, this is how horridly flawed his argument is.The RESELLER didn't sell you the launcher code and it wasn't bundled with the cart, plain and simple, the executed code is NOT the product you paid for. Suggesting people screw over retailers when they sold you a functional product is entirely moronic. I'm out, inb4 same copypasta reply to this again.

If you are not happy with a product. Returns to resellers is not an uncommon practice.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Who said sue? I was just saying you should ask for your money back.
because you are trying to get your money back, from your credit card company or something.
many of us are saying that is is not defective. and so, the credit card company might won't give you your money back, but they can do what they want. they don't understand how this flashcart stuff works, if you convince them enough i guess you will get your money back.

but, we are saying it is not defective, and that you shouldn't get your money back from the credit card company.
if you do want money, maybe you should try some other action, like taking it up with gateway the company, but it would be under different 'reasons' than the product you bought being defective, such as them endangering your property or something.

Chiodo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you are saying tha hardware company can do whatever they want with the software (inject virus/brick your pc etc). As long as they dont add the software to the product?

So a DVD drive with no software, the software is downloadable on their website. THAT software has virus/brickcode and whatever. THAT is ok? I think everyone will agree it doesnt work like it should.

If Sony did that they would get a shitstorm over them. Look, hoping for a cashback is pointless(too shady) but not considering the product as faulty is not logical.

I am kind of confused how people are arguing that this is acceptable..

Chiodo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
because you are trying to get your money back, from your credit card company or something.
many of us are saying that is is not defective. and so, the credit card company might won't give you your money back, but they can do what they want. they don't understand how this flashcart stuff works, if you convince them enough i guess you will get your money back.

but, we are saying it is not defective, and that you shouldn't get your money back from the credit card company.
if you do want money, maybe you should try some other action, like taking it up with gateway the company, but it would be under different 'reasons' than the product you bought being defective, such as them endangering your property or something.

You are correct the Gateway is bricking my console as intended and I should not get my money back.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu

i am NOT saying the hardware company can do whatever they want. i imagine there are some things they legally cannot do, depending on what country they are in/deal in etc.
don't assume you know what i am saying if i have not explicitly said it... sorry but thanks.
i agree that it was bad of gateway to put in bricking code...

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Ok the situation is...gateway have offered to fix or replace the console....if you go down the gateway teams route you get your 3DS fixed and keep your card........yeah some people are saying they don't trust them etc but nobody knows ATM

Just taking money from a reseller and keeping the card is scummy, talk to them as request a refund and explain the situation....I'm sure a lot of the official suppliers won't mind taking it back....but in this case you still have a broken 3DS

Just wondering if you plan to pin the bricked 3DS on Nintendo for not making it compatible with flash cards too?

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
That is a known and implied risk.. The tobacco companies were sued and forced to place warnings of this risk on there products.

Gateway 3DS has not warning that bricking may occur if you use there product and it is not an implied risk.

Lack of warning does not mean lack of intent. It only means lack of warning.
GW carts can not be accused of being defective if it was their intent to brick peoples consoles. The code was in place to do just that, so, GW carts are NOT defective.

Chiodo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok the situation is...gateway have offered to fix or replace the console....if you go down the gateway teams route you get your 3DS fixed and keep your card........yeah some people are saying they don't trust them etc but nobody knows ATM

Just taking money from a reseller and keeping the card is scummy, talk to them as request a refund and explain the situation....I'm sure a lot of the official suppliers won't mind taking it back....but in this case you still have a broken 3DS

Just wondering if you plan to pin the bricked 3DS on Nintendo for not making it compatible with flash cards too?

I agree with you returning it is the best option.

I think the bricked 3DS is Gateways fault??

Chiodo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lack of warning does not mean lack of intent. It only means lack of warning.
GW carts can not be accused of being defective if it was their intent to brick peoples consoles. The code was in place to do just that, so, GW carts are NOT defective.

On there website. They post that is it safe to use. I would say it is defective.

http://www.gateway-3ds.com/

"We can reassure our users that our official (unmodified) Launcher firmware is free from any memory corruption and is 100% safe to use."

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
On there website. They post that is it safe to use. I would say it is defective.

http://www.gateway-3ds.com/

"We can reassure our users that our official (unmodified) Launcher firmware is free from any memory corruption and is 100% safe to use."
so the launcher is defective, but not the card that you bought?
i can download the 'defective' launcher, but i didn't buy a gateway.

anyway, whatever, good luck with getting your money back :)

Chiodo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so the launcher is defective, but not the card that you bought?
i can download the 'defective' launcher, but i didn't buy a gateway.

anyway, whatever, good luck with getting your money back :)

So everyone paid $80 for a Gateway 3DS that does what?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I used Beta drivers for my video card. If my video card bricked from the beta drivers. I would ask EVGA or nvidia to replace my card or my money back.
We all get it.....nothing is your fault...beta means not 100% complete......aka it may have bugs.....aka use at YOUR own risk....but this is pointless go do charge backs and bury your 3ds in the garden buy some flowers to lay down with the money

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu