Hacking gateway game saves how to recover an overwritten one?

cypher007

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
my son and his friends were playing on his 3ds xl playing star wars 3. anyway I had helped him do about 16% of the game, which was saving to the sd card. but when I went to play it last night, it now says 0% arrgh!!! so after some questioning it seems one of them probably selected new game then overwrote the save. my question is this:

the game save files in the root of the sd card don't seem to ever update the date. is there anyway to retrieve the previous version of the save using some file recovery software?

krzz

Trophies
XP
Country
France
No.

By the way, to save a game on the Gateway you have to end it by pressing the Home button, and then press exit after saving in your game. If you don't do that it will not save your game.

EDIT: Or maybe you can try "Recuva" but I don't think that it is going to work.

cypher007

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
yep running 2.0b2. did find I had to rinsert the sd card to get the launcher to work, so maybe they had mucked about with the sd card. though there was one new save at 2%.

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, you're fucked OP. But at least it wasn't too far into the game (although, losing 16% progress is annoying in and of itself). With 2.0b2, there's much less corruption of save data when exiting the software via HOME > X > A, but I would still periodically back up my saves to my PC every once in a while for situations like this. I know it doesn't help your current situation, but it'll save your ass in the future! Good luck.

badbob001

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the game only offers one save slot or someone overwrote the original slot, then this is not a Gateway issue. It would be nice if the GW would automatically save previous versions of the save file so you can go back, which will be a big help if the Gateway introduces any corruption while saving to the current file. Having to take out the SD card to backup to PC is a bit of a chore (and I've broken the plastic of a few SD cards from ejecting/inserting them so many times).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-