Gateway Emunand to system nand ?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by sedatbjk, Oct 4, 2015.

1. sedatbjk
    OP

sedatbjk Member

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2007
    Hello there, i'm sorry if this asked before. My friend accidently updated his O3DS (which was 4.4) to 10.1. Also he lost nand.bin backup. But we have emunand on his sd card. I think it was 9.2. Is it possible to restore emunand to system nand ? If so i can hardmod his 3DS to do that proccess.

2. Spaqin

Spaqin GBAtemp Regular

Feb 17, 2015
    Poland
    Check first, ask questions later.

Also yes, this should be possible. Don't forget to make a backup of the 10.1.

3. sedatbjk
    OP

sedatbjk Member

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2007
    how can i check it ? i cannot boot into gateway mode.

4. Spaqin

Spaqin GBAtemp Regular

Feb 17, 2015
    Poland
    Oh.
    Well, there goes my thinking.
    Best estimation would be checking file modification dates on the card, and compare them to 9.3 release date. That is, if the date was set correctly on the device. Of course, a newer file doesn't mean it must be updated, but it should give you some knowledge.

5. EmceeKerser

EmceeKerser GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 3, 2014
    The fuckin' Blue Mountains brah
    Do a hardmod, copy 10.1 from the 3ds, Flash the sysnand with the 9.2 emunand.

If it doesnt work, then just flash the 10.1 back

6. tjhooker73

tjhooker73 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 15, 2015
    United States
    Use emunand tool to extract the emunand. Then you can use the emunand backup, as long as it is 9.2 or below. If its higher then that then there is no real reason to flash it back.

7. VerseHell

VerseHell GBAtemp Psycho!

Jun 29, 2014
    France
    No, you can't restore an updated emunand to the sysnand (because the native_firm is not updated when you update your emunand), or you'll brick the console.

8. EmceeKerser

EmceeKerser GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 3, 2014
    The fuckin' Blue Mountains brah
    I thought this might be the case, but I wasnt sure if it only applied to soft flashes rather than a hard flash

Guess you cant do it

9. sedatbjk
    OP

sedatbjk Member

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2007
    thank you so much. his only choice is sky3ds then.

10. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    would we be able to inject the real native_firm and make it functional? (that is if the guy had the xorpads necessary to decrypt his nand)

11. valyr

valyr GBAtemp Fan

Sep 15, 2007
    United Kingdom
    its possible to rebuild a working nand img if you have a way to run rxtools but you will need
    clean firm0.bin and firm1.bin files from the same firmware i.e 9.2 eur apachethunder wrote about it early on in the rxtools thread
    also i have done this myself but i was updating to 9.2 from a downgraded 4.5 so not sure if you can downgrade this way yet