Hacking Gateway 3DS working on the New Nintendo 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So like many others, I'm a first time Gateway user. Until now, I'd forgotten about memory cards. Reading about CIA files and regular ROMs, I'm wondering which memory card I should get. I currently have an 8GB micro-SD card that I've been using with my R4, and the original SD card that came with my OG 3DS. Would I be better off with a 64GB SD card, and a 16GB micro-SD, or should I get a 64GB micro-SD with a 16GB SD card? I'll be playing online, so I suppose mainly using CIAs if that matters.
If you mainly use cia files you will want the larger card in the SD slot. You can use a mSD with an adapter. It seems the general consensus is 64gb is a bit overkill unless you want lots and lots of games at hand all the time. Meh, that's what I got. :)

bache

Trophies
XP
Country
If you mainly use cia files you will want the larger card in the SD slot. You can use a mSD with an adapter. It seems the general consensus is 64gb is a bit overkill unless you want lots and lots of games at hand all the time. Meh, that's what I got. :)

Excellent, thanks! Also, am I right in saying that I don't need the Gateway card in to play installed CIAs?

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
Also note you sacrifice a lot of speed by using an adaptor for your mSD. If you want to load fast .cia files, then you want a class 4-10 SD card(not adaptor). Otherwise, you won't get better speeds than gw loading.

Kenneth196

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excellent, thanks! Also, am I right in saying that I don't need the Gateway card in to play installed CIAs?

Also (and I just learned this today!), you do not need to use .cia files to play online... .3dz files are for online play. CIA files are useful if you want to put games on the homescreen (rather than the GW menu) and are smaller in size, but meh.

Reactions: Kirit0

densley

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Also (and I just learned this today!), you do not need to use .cia files to play online... .3dz files are for online play. CIA files are useful if you want to put games on the homescreen (rather than the GW menu) and are smaller in size, but meh.

True but you risk using the same header as another player. It may not matter currently since no ones been banned yet but it's an easy sign for nintendo to see your using a backup online so beware

Reactions: Kenneth196

BemaniAK

Trophies
XP
Country
True but you risk using the same header as another player. It may not matter currently since no ones been banned yet but it's an easy sign for nintendo to see your using a backup online so beware
Technically they can only see the same header twice, they can't see that you yourself are using a copy, they can't tell you and the legit cart apart, if they ban you they risk falsely banning a real player.

Kenneth196

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Hmmm good point. Another question just came to mind. What if, instead of using .3ds and .3dz files, a person just used all .cia files for their games? Which would also be cheaper (since SD cards are cheaper than micro SD)?

Melon__Bread

~It's A Magik~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm good point. Another question just came to mind. What if, instead of using .3ds and .3dz files, a person just used all .cia files for their games? Which would also be cheaper (since SD cards are cheaper than micro SD)?

My rule of thumb is .cia for anything online & .3ds for anything offline

BemaniAK

Trophies
XP
Country
It'd work but it's harder to find .cia backups.
Plus you have the issue of getting them on the system, you have to transfer from PC to the GW MicroSD then install onto main SD, unless you have a big MicroSD, that takes a while, and if you have a big MicroSD, you end up with an empty expensive MicroSD.

leonkennedy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi!

The best is to have one or two original buy new games.
You dump your games you collect the header to be able to play online.

You could use the same header for all your 3DS games (which will therefore be .3DZ or .CIA games or view that you can play it online with) because you can play with only one game at a time, it is impossible for you to use the same header.

Sorry for my poor english I'm french

TheZoroark007

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
qVbqnVD.jpg

Reactions: Piepokemon

Chrushev

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Can you only install .cia files to the system? .nds can only be run from the Gateway? Can you convert .nds to .cia? or do i need to get 2 copies of each one, one in cia and one in nds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ +1