Hacking Gateway 3ds Vs. Sky3ds+

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Essentially, yes. The problem is if you want to use Gateway you have to use Gateway's A9LH which is different than normal =/

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Not sure why you wouldn't just want to install the game onto the system like a digital game though. They still work in the bank
You don't have to, you can (and should) use Gateway's arm9loaderhax.bin with the homebrew A9LH method.
Because I'm saving microSD storage for eShop-only games, Home Menu has a max of 300 apps (I already have 30 with no CIAs installed) and I'm not actually spending any more money buying Gateway than I already spent buying retail cartridges, making me save money in the future by avoiding buying every Zelda and Pokémon games that'll eventually be released. Plus some other games. Also, how is Gateway's a9lh different than normal a9lh?
Gateway's A9LH is locked to Gateway only, no other CFW, no GBA/DSiWare, no useful ARM9 kernel tools, and probably no dynarec in homebrew emulators. Just go with the homebrew method and use Gateway's arm9loaderhax.bin.

Hyoretsu

Itosugi Masahiro's Loyal Reader
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You don't have to, you can (and should) use Gateway's arm9loaderhax.bin with the homebrew A9LH method.

Gateway's A9LH is locked to Gateway only, no other CFW, no GBA/DSiWare, no useful ARM9 kernel tools, and probably no dynarec in homebrew emulators. Just go with the homebrew method and use Gateway's arm9loaderhax.bin.
Can't I just load Gateway's a9lh using BootCTR9, while installing the normal a9lh/BootCTR9 (I still don't know where I can get and how I can install the BootCTR9's a9lh)?

Last edited by Hyoretsu,

hacksn5s4

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
sky 3ds works on luma gateway does not if you have cfw you can even play unsigned games on the sky 3ds if you have cfw and want a flash card that runs on luma get a sky 3ds

Hyoretsu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
sky 3ds works on luma gateway does not if you have cfw you can even play unsigned games on the sky 3ds if you have cfw and want a flash card that runs on luma get a sky 3ds
I'm going to use BootCTR9 to boot Luma3DS when I press L and Gateway's a9lh by default.

TariqSoftDev

~Zexceil
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm going to use BootCTR9 to boot Luma3DS when I press L and Gateway's a9lh by default.
Use Luma CFW chain loader , whats the need for BootCTR9, also you need a certain arm9 payload for Gateway as Gateways official one won't directly work, something like this:
Luma 3DS chainloader >>> Gateway Arm9 Chainloader >>> Gateways Arm9 payload

Hyoretsu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Use Luma CFW chain loader , whats the need for BootCTR9, also you need a certain arm9 payload for Gateway as Gateways official one won't directly work, something like this:
Luma 3DS chainloader >>> Gateway Arm9 Chainloader >>> Gateways Arm9 payload
Have 11.1 EmuNAND+Gateway to boot at default, 9.2 SysNAND+Luma3DS+Menuhax to boot when pressing L and Decrypt9WIP when pressing R (And soon Luma3DS Updater when pressing L+R and Hourglass9 when pressing L+R+SELECT+START)

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
If you don't have any of them yet, you probably don't need any of them.
If you really want one of them for some reason, get the Gateway. It allows patched roms, a menu to select the rom (then yeah, it displays it on the home menu as if you had the cartridge), gives cheats, etc. While the Sky3DS would only give you access to .3ds files.
The Sky3DS is only for those who can't downgrade for some reason.
The Sky mimics a cart. I suspect the Gateway doesn't work with PokeBank.

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
No idea, I never used PokeBank and the only moments when I use .3ds files is when I install a CIA manager on my consoles (too avoid injecting in H&S).
But if you have a Gateway, you can use CIAs and I guess PokeBank works with them?

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
No idea, I never used PokeBank and the only moments when I use .3ds files is when I install a CIA manager on my consoles (too avoid injecting in H&S).
But if you have a Gateway, you can use CIAs and I guess PokeBank works with them?
The OP said he doesn't want to install CIAs, did he not? I assume that means he'll only be using 3DS files, and Gateway is not a requirement for CIAs anyway.

Sent from my cave of despair where I collect souls

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Pros and Cons of the Sky3DS+ outweigh the Gateway. The Sky3DS+ can't be patched, you can take your games from system to system, very easy to use and no exploits required.

Hyoretsu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It works because you enter on a menu, select your game, it mounts the game and then you go back to the Home Menu with the game you selected appearing just like Sky3ds+. So Gateway=Sky3ds + not having to wait more or less 5 seconds to change from one game to another and only working on 9.2/a9lh.

Surprisingly, it took me more than one month to know that.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
It works because you enter on a menu, select your game, it mounts the game and then you go back to the Home Menu with the game you selected appearing just like Sky3ds+. So Gateway=Sky3ds + not having to wait more or less 5 seconds to change from one game to another and only working on 9.2/a9lh.

Surprisingly, it took me more than one month to know that.
Huh, did not know it behaved like that.

Sent from my cave of despair where I collect souls

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The OP said he doesn't want to install CIAs, did he not? I assume that means he'll only be using 3DS files, and Gateway is not a requirement for CIAs anyway.
Maybe, I read the topic a long time ago but now I forgot :P
And yeah, Gateway isn't a requirement at all, for cias but also in general (which is what I said in my first post here). I only have one because I had one...

Hyoretsu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Orange or Blue Button? If Orange, does it work with PowersavePro? My Blue Button Sky3DS seems to be blocked.
She/he (I think it's she) meant Gateway. Also, no flashcarts work on Powersave, cuz they need the 3DS firmware to mount the game and then show it on the home menu.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
She/he (I think it's she) meant Gateway. Also, no flashcarts work on Powersave, cuz they need the 3DS firmware to mount the game and then show it on the home menu.
huh, don't believe that is true, as far as the Sky3DS is concerned. The Sky3DS, afaik, only needs power.

Also

https://gbatemp.net/threads/powersaves-sky3ds.386137/

However, it might not output enough power to power the Sky3DS, apparently.
It's not related to the 3DS' firmware.

The GW, on the other hand, is, afaik.

Last edited by gnmmarechal,

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am currently using GW on Luma. Right now.

Although, I'm having some problems with my BlueCart. (Probably my fault, so it prolly works)

I have latest software for Powersaves Pro. Tried multiple games on Sky3DS. Nothing. You can backup, but using cheats, nope.

Blue Button here. So was just poking. And that link was my thread. Not sure if you knew that. I was poking to see if there was any success with Sky3DS+.

Get Gateway. you won't regret it. It'll basically act as extended storage on your A9LH 3DS. Both RedCart for .3DS, and BlueCart for DS.

Sky3DS+ is good if you can dump private headers. Although there is a complicated way using PowerSaves to extract PH without dumping. So why a Sky3DS+? Being able to share with others. You can use 3 types of PH's for the 3 variant chip ID's and it also covers AP checks. So you can use any 3DS game until Nin10d'oh tries something new. Blue Button Sky3DS can't play new games with AP checking. So you can share games with friends that can't play (lack of A9LH, etc.) It also comes in handy in case you want NinjaCube or OOT.

Go Gateway. Only reason to get Sky3DS+ at this point is if you want to avoid A9LH altogether. (Like people who need to register their 3DS for tournaments), but in that case, go get another 3DS and call it a day)

If you have an old 3DS, I would recommend picking up a DSTwo+ so you can play SNES games along with all GBA/GBC/GB/SEGA/ARCADE/DS games from yester year. Save space on your system mSD. No having to store Virtual Console games on system SD.

Or go get an EliteN2 for Amiibo hacking.

Or buy a bigger mSD.

Or just save your money for the Switch.

Or buy me a pack of smokes to shut me up.

I'm out. Going to bed. Be back to haunt later.

Don't brick your console.

upfromtheskies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can downgrade, you don't need a Gateway, but if you're planning on playing a lot of games and trying out all the new titles as they get released, you may want to consider getting a Gateway because it's much more convenient to load ROMs than installing CIAs. To install CIA on the New3DS you need to shut down your system, unscrew the battery cover, take out your SD card and copy the CIA files to it, then put the card back in your system and screw the cover back on, then wait for them to install, which can take a long time for bigger games that are a few GB each. With a flashcart, however, you just take the cart out without shutting down, put a ROM on the SD card and pop it back in, then press select to load them instantly without having to install anything.

EDIT: You can also install CIA over wifi without shutting down and taking the SD card out, but it's super slow.

Hyoretsu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If you can downgrade, you don't need a Gateway, but if you're planning on playing a lot of games and trying out all the new titles as they get released, you may want to consider getting a Gateway because it's much more convenient to load ROMs than installing CIAs. To install CIA on the New3DS you need to shut down your system, unscrew the battery cover, take out your SD card and copy the CIA files to it, then put the card back in your system and screw the cover back on, then wait for them to install, which can take a long time for bigger games that are a few GB each. With a flashcart, however, you just take the cart out without shutting down, put a ROM on the SD card and pop it back in, then press select to load them instantly without having to install anything.

EDIT: You can also install CIA over wifi without shutting down and taking the SD card out, but it's super slow.
Or just use Freeshop. Anyways, this thread is super old, decided to go with Gateway, but installed a9lh+Luma3DS and now I regret buying it and I'm trying to sell it to buy a 200GB microSD for my N3DS.

upfromtheskies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or just use Freeshop. Anyways, this thread is super old, decided to go with Gateway, but installed a9lh+Luma3DS and now I regret buying it and I'm trying to sell it to buy a 200GB microSD for my N3DS.
Yeah, or freeshop... but again it's super slow. I use Luma but I've kept my Gateway because every few months I download all the newest games that have been released and try them, and it's so much easier to do with a flashcart.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @p1ngpong, Don't cry. :D