Gateway 3DS, News and Information

Schaapje82

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Are there roms of 3DS games? As far as I know only a few were hacked and few people know where to download. (I'm not asking for download links, don't give me a warn or report me or something)

Only 273.
Few people know where to download? If you know where to download anything, then this is no problem either.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
fyi, to run apps, you need an exploit AND from the video, games are run from the system menu (which does firmware checks, looking to update if the game says so). This mean, without a way of revoking RSA encryption/decryption, the only way to run games, are as-is, and will require system updates everytime those are launched from the OS Menu.

In other words, you will be able to play earlier games, but if newer require higher firmwares, you won't without updating , and will break gateway compatibility- So no way to remove updates for now

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fyi, to run apps, you need an exploit AND from the video, games are run from the system menu (which does firmware checks, looking to update if the game says so). This mean, without a way of revoking RSA encryption/decryption, the only way to run games, are as-is, and will require system updates everytime those are launched from the OS Menu.

In other words, you will be able to play earlier games, but if newer require higher firmwares, you won't without updating , and will break gateway compatibility- So no way to remove updates for now

Question is what exactly does the blue card do? They don't insert one in the 3DS in the demonstration video, so they must have stuck one in before the demonstration(?). Whatever it is, it doesn't need to be inserted whenever you start a new game if you'd inserted it previously.

stephysanrio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^^

They probably "prepared" the system before the demonstration.
Some had said that they think you will have to "prepared the system every time you power cycle and if that's the case I wouldn't be surprised.

reaper527

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^^

They probably "prepared" the system before the demonstration.
Some had said that they think you will have to "prepared the system every time you power cycle and if that's the case I wouldn't be surprised.

it's not like you have to power cycle that often. you can put the 3ds in standby mode when you aren't using it. if the rumor about having to re-do the exploit portion every power cycle is true, it is basically akin to a tethered iphone jailbreak (with the exception that it won't run unsigned code).

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New Video!

And some info. The Gateway's storing saves somehow on the 3DS' SD Card in real time when you exit the game via the home button, and restores the save to the GW3DS once you start the ROM. First units ship this week.

As promised a quick video showing the Gateway backup swap with working save game transfer. We are automatically transferring the save game data to and from the Gateway cart to the 3DS SD card in real time at rom launch and Home button press !

Rytoast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm personally looking forward to see what else they can do. Keeping their promise on working on restoring saves gives them some merit in my opinion.

Agreed. 30 minutes ago, I just received a (albeit generic) reply to the Firmware question:

We will post news when 5.x and 6.x compatibility is achieved.

VLinh

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Great to hear that they ship this week! Can't wait for Devin's Review on it.

If this does eventually work with newer firmwares soon, man GBATemp is going to haywire when Pokemon X and Y comes out. I still recall this website being flooded back in the good old days lol

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The save game swapping is impressive if it works like in the video. At the same time though, it would seem to need more of an exploit to work, which gives me less faith in it working post 4.5.

Boy12

NOT a new member!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Mmm... Buy it, or not buy it, I still don't know :unsure:
I think I am not gonna buy it (at least for now) until another flashcard comes out, or if they are gonna implement a browsing menu (so you don't have to swap games any more).
Still, this could be pretty useful to search for exploits, you can search in every game.
EDIT: I just saw Resident Evil: Revelations in the trailer, maybe for this game I'll change my mind ^_^
But yeah, I still don't know, probably gonna wait 'till a better card comes out.

enigma85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mmm... Buy it, or not buy it, I still don't know :unsure:
I think I am not gonna buy it (at least for now) until another flashcard comes out, or if they are gonna implement a browsing menu (so you don't have to swap games any more).
Still, this could be pretty useful to search for exploits, you can search in every game.
EDIT: I just saw Resident Evil: Revelations in the trailer, maybe for this game I'll change my mind ^_^
But yeah, I still don't know, probably gonna wait 'till a better card comes out.

I pre-ordered one just cause, unfortunately my 3DS XL is on 5.x and my daughter apparently updated my original 3ds without me knowing. but I'm hoping they get 5.x working otherwise damn a waste of $80 lol, no biggie for me been buying flashcarts since the GBC and know you win some and you lose some. :lol: I use my 3ds xl for my DSTWO anyways. I literally have 1 3DS game.

theshape

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a 3ds xl blue/black from ebay brand new 2 weeks ago and it came default with 4.2 firmware so I should be good with this card.

Reactions: f0rCe

morrison22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the highest firmware version preloaded on a 3ds that is new and sold in stores in the US, like Walmart, Gamestop, etc..? What are the chances of finding one that has firmware 4.5 or less on it new? Is there any way to tell by looking at the box?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ