Hacking Gateway 3DS - First 3DS flash card?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redhorse

Warehouse 13 Curator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to Nintendo life

"...in the final stages of design. By going public, however, it opens up the likelihood of Nintendo taking whatever action it can to prevent the device spreading like the R4 cards. For its part, Nintendo has made clear that it will utilise system updates and the far more advanced online infrastructure of the 3DS — in comparison to the DS family of systems — to prevent the use of flashcards and brick offending systems"

I would say it's real enough... enough for someone to consider this a potential threat. But the top line says it all, What? to Give N more ammo to block it? Leave well enough alone, they'll figure it out if it's important enough to them.. I'm sure they (N) have paid code writers who are at least as good as the best on this site, otherwise they would not stay in business so long (NOTE: I said at least as good, not better).
This is why I personally fail to understand why anyone desiring to sell these would talk with anyone, prior to the moment of sale. Any 'review requests', or Bulk sales requests, offer cammo to hide within the real reqests, one or two Nintendo employees or lawyers (or some other villian) trying to stop it before it starts....

'Loose Lips Shink Ships'

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

mrSmiles

Dundunduuuun
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
well saw the news on pulse, going to be interesting.

may have to actually buy a 3ds when this card releases, may have a hard time finding this in stock at first though so i'll end up having to wait for a bit.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
According to Nintendo life

"...in the final stages of design. By going public, however, it opens up the likelihood of Nintendo taking whatever action it can to prevent the device spreading like the R4 cards. For its part, Nintendo has made clear that it will utilise system updates and the far more advanced online infrastructure of the 3DS — in comparison to the DS family of systems — to prevent the use of flashcards and brick offending systems"
Okay, first of all, Nintendo cannot brick offending systems. In fact, the users would be entirely entitled to take legal action againts Nintendo if that was the case. If the user feels like putting a piece of soggy toast into their system, he or she is entirely entitled to do so because it's his or her system. The worst Nintendo can do is ban the offending user from using online features, and I'm not even sure if the 3DS's infrastructure supports such functionality - the DS certainly didn't and on the Wii you could only get banned on specific servers for specific games, not from WFC altogether.

As for preventing the device from spreading, this can be done in some countries, but we all know that flashcarts are not banned all around the world, just in a handful of countries. At the end of the day, a flashcart is just an adapter, an SD card is just rewritable storage. Owning either is not breaching any laws whatsoever - it's the act of pirating that's illegal and an owner of a flashcart isn't automatically a pirate.

I would say it's real enough... enough for someone to consider this a potential threat. But the top line says it all, What? to Give N more ammo to block it?
And here we bump into the question of "how?". If it's actually a cartridge emulator and does not use any system exploit at all, it cannot be blocked per-se unless Nintendo finds an abnormality of some kind in the data it feeds the system and uses that as a hook to detect flashcart use, and such an abnormality isn't necessarily there. It's not like a difference between burned and pressed discs - if there will be no difference at all in how the cartridge works, it's just undetectable and as such unblockable.

Leave well enough alone, they'll figure it out if it's important enough to them.. I'm sure they (N) have paid code writers who are at least as good as the best on this site, otherwise they would not stay in business so long (NOTE: I said at least as good, not better).
Every system Nintendo has ever created was hacked. Coders are always doing their best to prevent hackers from hacking a system but no protection is bulletproof.
This is why I personally fail to understand why anyone desiring to sell these would talk with anyone, prior to the moment of sale. Any 'review requests', or Bulk sales requests, offer cammo to hide within the real reqests, one or two Nintendo employees or lawyers (or some other villian) trying to stop it before it starts....

'Loose Lips Shink Ships'
Nintendo will get their hands on the cart anyways, prior to release or post-release - it makes very little difference. As for the "lawyers", I already touched upon this subject. It's just rewritable storage and an adapter - you can't feasably ban such a device world-wide. The movie industry tried with VHS recording, the game and movie industry tried with DVD burning, the music industry tried with CD burning and MP3 sharing but none succeeded because by themselves, those solutions are not infringing upon anything - it's the users that break the law using the devices in an illegal fashion.
nintendo games will still sell like hot bread

nintendo is nintendo, do you understand?
Nintendo isn't Mount Olympus and the people working in this company aren't Gods - the fact that they're "Nintendo" doesn't make their systems or games magically sell, which can be illustrated by the massive failure of the Virtual Boy, poor performance of the Nintendo 64 and the crushing defeat of the Gamecube.

Reactions: str8mjed and beenii

natkoden

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Okay, first of all, Nintendo cannot brick offending systems. In fact, the users would be entirely entitled to take legal action againts Nintendo if that was the case. If the user feels like putting a piece of soggy toast into their system, he or she is entirely entitled to do so because it's his or her system. The worst Nintendo can do is ban the offending user from using online features, and I'm not even sure if the 3DS's infrastructure supports such functionality - the DS certainly didn't and on the Wii you could only get banned on specific servers for specific games, not from WFC altogether.

As for preventing the device from spreading, this can be done in some countries, but we all know that flashcarts are not banned all around the world, just in a handful of countries. At the end of the day, a flashcart is just an adapter, an SD card is just rewritable storage. Owning either is not breaching any laws whatsoever - it's the act of pirating that's illegal and an owner of a flashcart isn't automatically a pirate.

And here we bump into the question of "how?". If it's actually a cartridge emulator and does not use any system exploit at all, it cannot be blocked per-se unless Nintendo finds an abnormality of some kind in the data it feeds the system and uses that as a hook to detect flashcart use, and such an abnormality isn't necessarily there. It's not like a difference between burned and pressed discs - if there will be no difference at all in how the cartridge works, it's just undetectable and as such unblockable.

Every system Nintendo has ever created was hacked. Coders are always doing their best to prevent hackers from hacking a system but no protection is bulletproof.

Nintendo will get their hands on the cart anyways, prior to release or post-release - it makes very little difference. As for the "lawyers", I already touched upon this subject. It's just rewritable storage and an adapter - you can't feasably ban such a device world-wide. The movie industry tried with VHS recording, the game and movie industry tried with DVD burning, the music industry tried with CD burning and MP3 sharing but none succeeded because by themselves, those solutions are not infringing upon anything - it's the users that break the law using the devices in an illegal fashion.

Tell that to Microsoft... didn't prevent them for banning thousands of users.

Reactions: MAXLEMPIRA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anybody here?
  • P @ PKNate:
    nope
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: 7 years by lukas graham, supermassive black hole by muse, and megalomania all have the same bpm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual +1