Hacking Gateway 3DS - First 3DS flash card?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamer

DS Gamer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.pikaflash.com
XP
Country
Mexico
What, this came out of nowhere... (lock if already posted...)

Great news we have today, we here at MaxConsole have confirmed from resellers and original NDS flash card homebrew developers that the following news about the Nintendo 3DS is actually happening, the impossible has been done, there is now actual working Flash Card for the 3DS, not just for old DS games, but your actual 3DS games.

Gateway 3DS is the world's first 3DS flash card!
The GATEWAY 3DS TEAM proudly presents the first ever video proof that many thought impossible.
  • Supports all 3DS ROMs to date
  • Works on 3DS & 3DS XL consoles
Below we show an unedited video of the device booting 3 different backed up 3DS ROMS consecutively which are loaded on the GATEWAY 3DS device via microSD cards.
We hope you are as excited as we are!

Here is their official 'proof' video from Gateway-3DS, but like we said above we have confirmed from resellers and original NDS flash card developers that this device is real and coming very soon for your 3DS enjoyment:

Looks real... but who knows...

Source
Official Site

Edit. From the site:

The wait is over! The first ever backup device that enables playback of 3DS ROMS is now a reality. The device is in its final stages of design and production is just around the corner. Stay tuned and enjoy the show!

EDIT: Rumour debunking round-up by raulpica:
  • Some members keep stating that the flashcard (if real) will require one microSD for each game, and that the microSD needs to be of the same exact size of the ROM. GaryOpa (trusted member of the scene) directly debunks that here.
  • This probably doesn't remove Region Lock, since that would require a 3DS-mode exploit. The cart somehow fools the system that a real cart is inserted, so no mods (region-free, hacks, etc.) should be allowed.
  • The estimated release should be in two weeks, yet again according to GaryOpa.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
place holder for big comment before idiots spam just crap about what posts are going to be about

Finally this materialized

it is indeed not a fake but all the hardware you want for this has yet to be shown

ideally what this card does is make the Game Chip a Micro SD card
the card will have to be formatted correctly and the right size (eg. you will need, 512mb,1GB,2GB,4GB cards)
each card can only hold 1 rom at a time, as it takes up the whole space of the card
surely you get the point here of whats its doing

the next thing is Save Data
as you can see in the video there is only 1 save chip and thats built in, so if you change the game MicroSD without backing up and Dumping the Save data with a Save tool BYE BYE save
as it is wiped as the game recognizes it as corrupt so deletes it
so they will either have to provide a method of extracting/dumping the save or you get a R4i Save Dongle or something that does the job

basically this is a 1:1 clone sort of deal so only 1 at a time, no homebrew, no mods, no save tweaks

Nintendo will most likely just block this with an update to check the game Chip ID and then fail to boot it

enjoy :D
but this is a sole piracy deal here

PJM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not saying it's real... But where is the loader? One ROM per SD is a little impractical.

Moose13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks good to me, but I'm no video expert. One ROM per micro SD card is a little impractical, but workable. If it's real, I'm sure someone else will perfect it, with a user interface,loading multiple games from one card. It's a start, and a great one, if indeed it is real.

phalk

Handheld Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It seems surprisingly real.
But let's see.

I have my doubts this would work like this...

Gamer

DS Gamer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.pikaflash.com
XP
Country
Mexico
place holder for big comment before idiots spam just crap about what posts are going to be about

Finally this materialized

it is indeed not a fake but all the hardware you want for this has yet to be shown

ideally what this card does is make the Game Chip a Micro SD card
the card will have to be formatted correctly and the right size (eg. you will need, 512mb,1GB,2GB,4GB cards)
each card can only hold 1 rom at a time, as it takes up the whole space of the card
surely you get the point here of whats its doing

the next thing is Save Data
as you can see in the video there is only 1 save chip and thats built in, so if you change the game MicroSD without backing up and Dumping the Save data with a Save tool BYE BYE save
as it is wiped as the game recognizes it as corrupt so deletes it
so they will either have to provide a method of extracting/dumping the save or you get a R4i Save Dongle or something that does the job

basically this is a 1:1 clone sort of deal so only 1 at a time, no homebrew, no mods, no save tweaks

Nintendo will most likely just block this with an update to check the game Chip ID and then fail to boot it

enjoy :D
but this is a sole piracy deal here

Makes sense. So, basically you'll need the flashcard, various sizes microSD cards and a save dumper so you can backup your saves in case you want to play another game.

Well, it's a start heh (if real ofc lol)

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so my questions are as follows.
How does this just "work"? straight up "work"? no custom menu to boot into, no special "disguised" game like the DSTWO and stuff... However that might explain why it can only be one game.

Works with "all" roms to date? How can there be not a single rom that has problems? No AP, Whitescreens, whatever?

Silverthorn

Spiky!
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, even if it's a fake, at least the video is pretty well-made: I couldn't see any evident errors or cuts, which is pretty surprising.
Could have been better w/o the nails though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.