Hacking Gateway 3DS + Animal Crossing rom

twig123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a couple of things that I am curios about...

I'm currently using Gateway 3DS v2.1 (Supposedly without Online access). With Animal Crossing rom (not cart), if I go to the Post Office I am able to talk tot he person at the counter and "Ask About Present" and download the gifts from Nintendo without any issues...

However, I am not able to use the "Dream Suite" or other Online activities. So, what it different between the way "Ask About Present" works and other online functions in the game? The way I understand it was that v2.1 didn't have any online capabilities for ROMs.

---

Additionally, I'd like to switch to Gateway 3DS v2.2 for full online capabilities. However, I do not wish to completely start over with a new game save (I believe I've read that old saves are incompatible with v2.2 .3DZ files for online). If this is true, is there any way to modify the existing ROM/Save to be able to use online features AND keep my current progress in Animal Crossing?

Thanks in advance

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
No not at the moment GW are working on the save issues. You will lose your .sav file and have to start again, it comes up as corrupt new save file.

twig123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AC is card 2 though. I though at least some (if not all) of the data are stored on the rom itself.

Indeed AC is Card2. When I first started playing I didn't realize this and made the mistake of deleting the ROM thinking there was a save file... Nope, the actual ROM file gets modified with the save data. Do card2 games have the same issues with saves when trying to convert from .3DS to .3DZ?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Yeah, once a rom switches to using the unique cartID it breaks.....or technically fixes the saving method meaning saves created using no cartID are now invalid

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: I have a number of geriatric relatives.