Gaming is dead

Subzero100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gaming in the traditional sense is dead as far as i can see, but obviously isn't on a whole since people still are buying games. How many people out there that have basically begged companies that put out some of the best stuff there was in the 80's and 90's in a recognizable form that was simple and fun today? and how many failures have there been of games that didn't convert well into 3d like castlevaina? Its obvious that they gave up on what was fun and focused on what will make the most money instead, because i think we are long overdue for a real follow up to super mario 3, symphony of the night, and countless others. Withe today's tech is would be easy to make these things happen, but the odds hang favorably in the direction of us getting the latest yearly $60 dlc that is call of duty instead.:sad:

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Gaming is not dead, it is just different.
You have so many options today I think it is impossible not to find something that suits you.
Just stop looking into mainstream and old franchises if they bother you.
Look into the indie scene, whose small budget is more alike to the one of the small gaming industry of yore.
The indie scene is more independent, so you may find all type of not so sell numbers oriented games in there.
Don't focus on old franchises, if you are fixated to an old franchise and specific old games on those franchises then never a new version will be able to compete to your over-embellished memories.

Reactions: 2Hack

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I see this come up often. Gaming is by no means dead. It's more widespread now than ever before, which has attracted the 'bro' crowd and this made games like CoD extremely profitable. But one thing nobody seems to remember is that we were all new to gaming at one point or another. We didn't start off looking for artistic value in games and insisting that we get the best of the best. There was a time when we were much the same. I, for example, couldn't give a crap about any game other than the latest Sonic games when I was a kid. They've held up over the years but when you really boil it down, Sonic 2 was mostly guilty of the same offences we flay CoD alive for. Same basic premise with a new lick of paint, minor tweaks and updates to the multiplayer? Which game series does that apply to? BOTH. We let it slide because games were simpler back then, or because of nostalgia, but it's the truth.

The 'bro' gaming crowd is basically the same. They all buy the bare-bones no effort sequels now, but give it time and they'll soon get bored the same way we did as we matured, experimented, developed more refined tastes in our gaming lives, and the industry adapted accordingly. We hate the 'bro' crowd because they remind of us of what we once were. But gaming, much like any other form of art, goes through peaks and valleys. If you feel we're in one of these valleys at the moment, which I don't necessarily agree with, then at least remember that the industry will adapt as it always does and we'll be back on top form in no time. When the PS3 launched it had virtually nothing worth playing, the price was outrageous, technical issues and everyone claimed it was 'the death of gaming' and a 'disgrace to the PS2 legacy'. Now look at it. It came into its own and gave us some of the greatest games of the last generation.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just think we need to be patient.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If only there were developers not a part of any large tripleAAA companies.

Perhaps some independent people and studios who develop solid games that aren't all about making the almighty dollar

If only such a thing existed
it would be a wonderful world indeed.

RIP gaming, y u no indie

No but seriously you're a fucking retard. Gaming is bigger than ever. More people than ever partake in gaming than ever before. Games just keep getting better, get with the times old man.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything changes over time. It's just that some people don't want to change with the times. Get over it bud, pitfall, pac man, and asteroids will not be back, ever.

Reactions: Lucifer666

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Gaming in the traditional sense is dead as far as i can see, but obviously isn't on a whole since people still are buying games.

Yes. And not only that, but they're also actually PLAYING those games they buy. And even ENJOYING themselves while doing this 'gaming' thing.

In other words: take off your goddamn emo glasses, bro. There are more games than call of duty, and it's gotten to a point where even mediocre games of the nineties are getting remakes and reboots (Christ...under what rock were you hiding when nintendo released NSMBW and NSMBU?).

Disco

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Everything changes over time. It's just that some people don't want to change with the times. Get over it bud, pitfall, pac man, and asteroids will not be back, ever.

Exactly!

It's not the games, it's us, nostalgia is strange thing...
Much of the games that I loved as a kid, are unplayable when I try them today.

But there are some really awesome old games that I play almost every year, for example: commander keen series, flashback (not that remake crap), another world, jazz jackrabbit, doom, batman nes, mario bros 3, resident evil 1,2,3...

But also there are really great games today, I just finished Never Alone on PS4 and that game is just awesome edutainment documentary like game and great insight into Eskimo culture!
Also, I love The last of us, Killzone, Cod (yes despite the internet saying it's the same every year, I love cinematic COD SP campaigns, it's my guilty pleasure), Bioshock...
And for old type games there is always emulators on PC and GBA/DS/3DS (Nintendo is just perfectly oldskul ;) ).

Only thing that I did realized that this generation of consoles is the remastered generation and generation of delaying (obviously it's far more complicated and expensive to make games for PS4/Wii U/X1/PC), and I don't like it...
And also I don't like the hype they make for games these days, and then the game becomes the super disappointment like for example the Order 1886 which is in my opinion a movie with some interactions here and there (I borrowed the game, not giving money for that kind of :shit: ).

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot of the stuff that interests me anymore tend to come from Indies and smaller developers. What you enjoy may not be insanely popular right now, but there's something for everyone. You just have to know where to look. What bothers me is how physical media is dying off (already dead PC side) while DRM is on the rise (luckily there are DRM free alternatives on PC, but console side, you can only buy the games from their online store if you go digital legally).

BullyWiiPlaza

Nintendo Hacking <3
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Gaming these days often is about exposing or trolling others instead of having fun playing (this degeneration is especially true in Call of Duty). Everybody just plays like a jack-ass (camping, best characters, guns, equipment) and thinks that in-game scores matter in real-life (k/d ratio?).

sandytf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gaming is not dead and will be around for a very long time. However, the culture around gaming has been continuously changing and evolving. Back in the 80's and 90's, the Internet wasn't available, resulting in gaming having an aurora of mystery around it. Coupled with the younger average age of gamers back then, visiting a local video game store used to cause a greater level of excitement since there was always a chance of discovering something new. Ebay, online shopping, and greater standardization in gaming hardware (particularly with console accessories) have lessened this feeling and as a result, the mystique is gone. However, not all is negative. Unlike in the past, gamers have greater access to video game related information, game reviews, and game play videos. Additionally, the diversity of available games is substantialy larger, especially considering all of the games of yore are still not only available but even easier to access today than in the past.

Reactions: Nightwish

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Even the glorious Nintendo that was the shit in the 90's hasn't been doing great since the Super Nintendo days. :(

I mean, N64/GameCube/Wii have some gems but it just doesn't compare to how good they were with the SNES. And damn, now they're putting more effort into Happy Meal toys than actual games.

Problem is, Nintendo fans are now preferring those said Happy Meal toys over the games now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: