The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Nowadays shooters are aimed at [...] Mouse/Keyboard users
As is right and proper :tpi:

I feel the opposite is true, that since major titles are usually mutiplatformers, that they are all geared towards dual analog controls.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gaming in the traditional sense is dead as far as i can see, but obviously isn't on a whole since people still are buying games. How many people out there that have basically begged companies that put out some of the best stuff there was in the 80's and 90's in a recognizable form that was simple and fun today? and how many failures have there been of games that didn't convert well into 3d like castlevaina? Its obvious that they gave up on what was fun and focused on what will make the most money instead, because i think we are long overdue for a real follow up to super mario 3, symphony of the night, and countless others. Withe today's tech is would be easy to make these things happen, but the odds hang favorably in the direction of us getting the latest yearly $60 dlc that is call of duty instead.:sad:

i agree with everything except i thought CV64 was pretty good
except of the awful camera but i they could have expanded and improved on it instead of going the linear route with LOS reboot
they need a new 3d reboot that keeps it simple

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd kill for a new Suikoden or a remake of Chrono Trigger.(or new fucking Chrono but SE would likely fuck it up) As far as playing old games goes, a CRT is a must imo unless you're willing to spend tons of money on upscalers and that kinda stuff, plus CRTs= less input lag. I'm not very picky about the visual stuff but when old games are re-released, always give people filter options and shit like that so they won't be so pixelated. Emulators have spoiled me with all their cool ass filters/shaders.

Still, my main beef is that consoles aren't plug & play anymore and the DLC/microtrans bullshit drives me nuts. It's a terrible business model that screws consumers hard, especially the yearly shooters. Spend less time on pretty graphics and more time on actual substance. A game can look good without being stupidly expensive to make, but I'm also no expert on game design. Unfortunately, we humans are superficial and pretty graphics attract us, me included of course.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'd kill for a new Suikoden or a remake of Chrono Trigger.(or new fucking Chrono but SE would likely fuck it up) As far as playing old games goes, a CRT is a must imo unless you're willing to spend tons of money on upscalers and that kinda stuff, plus CRTs= less input lag. I'm not very picky about the visual stuff but when old games are re-released, always give people filter options and shit like that so they won't be so pixelated. Emulators have spoiled me with all their cool ass filters/shaders.

Still, my main beef is that consoles aren't plug & play anymore and the DLC/microtrans bullshit drives me nuts. It's a terrible business model that screws consumers hard, especially the yearly shooters. Spend less time on pretty graphics and more time on actual substance. A game can look good without being stupidly expensive to make, but I'm also no expert on game design. Unfortunately, we humans are superficial and pretty graphics attract us, me included of course.

Regarding old games, I agree CRT looks better, but I couldn't even start thinking about using so much space with an energy hungry space inefficient CRT (their time is gone for me, as well as big cars, incandescent lamps, the Concorde, and other cool relics from the resource wasting past).
I can live with big square pixels on a LCD, pixelated is totally OK, but please no nasty filtering for me at least as 2D is regarded.

Reactions: Nightwish

Hungry Friend

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only use filtering when emulating games to reduce pixelation. A lot of people prefer playing old games raw but if there's a good CRT filter or something I like that kinda stuff. Even the more intense filters like the xBR ones can look pretty cool sometimes, especially when playing games like SF3-3rd Strike in FBA. I respect and understand where you're coming from but old games look like shit on high res monitors and plain bilinear filtering is a bit too blurry for my tastes. CRTs are heavy energy hogs but older games look so much fucking better on them, especially PS1 & N64 games.

D

Deleted User

As is right and proper :tpi:

I feel the opposite is true, that since major titles are usually mutiplatformers, that they are all geared towards dual analog controls.
The major titles aren't good though. And most of the few good shooters to come out these days have poor controller support.

Subzero100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"i agree with everything except i thought CV64 was pretty good"

whats cv64?

Chrono Trigger? lol look what they did to the game after it went 3d. That's why never things aren't good anymore they forgot how to make them work or just dont know how to make good games anymore. If it wasn't for indies 2d wouldn't exist anymore. Something work good in 2d some don't, but if you have stupid programers the game is doomed all together. The Resident evil remake sold over 1 millions copies to date, so now capcom has no excuse to remake 2 & 3 now.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
"i agree with everything except i thought CV64 was pretty good"

whats cv64?

Chrono Trigger? lol look what they did to the game after it went 3d. That's why never things aren't good anymore they forgot how to make them work or just dont know how to make good games anymore. If it wasn't for indies 2d wouldn't exist anymore. Something work good in 2d some don't, but if you have stupid programers the game is doomed all together. The Resident evil remake sold over 1 millions copies to date, so now capcom has no excuse to remake 2 & 3 now.

I think he means this:

Also, I certainly prefer Chrono Trigger, but if you talk about Chrono Cross, hell I would play that game once and again for hours if only to listen the OST, it is a masterpiece.
And just because...

Hungry Friend

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chrono Cross is a shitty sequel to CT imo, but as its own game I love it. Also yeah that OST is sexy, one of the best VG soundtracks I know of.

Prisoners of Fate(I think it's called other shit too) is probably my favorite song in the game. Sad, but I love the atmosphere it provides(continued in the spoiler)
when you fight Miguel. That little bastard kicked my ass the first few times I fought him, especially the surprise Holylight & Holy Dragon Sword.

D

Deleted User

I found a relevant video the other day. Can't remember the name but it basically said shooter publishers are purposefully ruining their games so that 9 year old noobs get an easy dopamine fix so they'll keep chasing that fix till college and buy every dlc and yearly rerelease while trying to chase off veterans who scare away the noobs.
That's why Destiny apparently had a lot of stuff cut and simplified from beta to release because Activision wanted to make noobs addicted and its why CoD allegedly lags on purpose.

Subzero100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It up to Nintendo to show people the future once again with the nx, but why am do i get this feeling that Nintendo isn't Nintendo anymore....

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
God, whenever I hear people crying foul about how gaming is dead and how the classics were so much better I imagine an old folks home with grandpas and grandmas waving their walking sticks at the whippersnappers outside, yelling that they should turn their noise aka rock music down. That's what's actually happening here - you're getting old. You're grumpy and you grasp at the few straws of childhood memories you have in the vain attempt at being young again. Games haven't gotten any worse, in fact, they're becoming increasingly good and they're too much for you to handle anymore. It's like the 90's again when people couldn't fathom how a platformer could work in three dimensions and vowed to never pick up a 32-bit system, I'm seeing it all over again. I've got bad news for ya - the "good 'ol days" sucked and they're not coming back, shave that handlebar mustache, old be gone, embrace the new.

Reactions: Nightwish and Minox

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
People that say that gaming is dead are like people who say that games used to last longer in the past than now. Hint: they didn't.
Exactly. Prohibitive difficulty and "lives" were introduced as a legacy of arcade games specifically to artificially increase the longevity of games that normally would take a couple hours at most to finish.

D

Deleted User

It up to Nintendo to show people the future once again with the nx, but why am do i get this feeling that Nintendo isn't Nintendo anymore....
I agree. Since Iwata became president he's been a kissup to the stockholders.
Not that Iwata is a bad president with bad ideas in his own right, he just needs to break free of the stockholders leash

Hungry Friend

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gaming most certainly isn't dead, but paid online service scams, microtransactions in full-priced games and on-disc or day 1 DLC that was clearly meant to be in the final product are shitty trends indeed. Gaming itself is evolving in many ways but console gaming is no longer plug & play, put a game in and play. You now have to deal with much of the negative shit associated with PC gaming(incomplete games that are constantly patched, OS updates etc) without nearly as much freedom as one has when gaming on a PC. Arguing that peoples' criticisms are nothing but rose-tinted nostalgia goggles is a silly strawman argument, and while gaming isn't dead, some of the current trends in the industry are detrimental to consumers. It's a matter of taste/opinion whether the positives outweigh the negatives.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Exactly. Prohibitive difficulty and "lives" were introduced as a legacy of arcade games specifically to artificially increase the longevity of games that normally would take a couple hours at most to finish.
Or as we real gamers like to call it, "a challenge". Foxi4causal ;O;

Nowadays they artificially inflate longevity with online multiplayer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence -