GameStop to close up to 190 stores

download.png

After suffering a rough fourth quarter in 2016, GameStop will be closing at least 100 stores soon, according to a recent financial report. Hardware sales declined by 29.1%, even though the PlayStation 4 Slim, PlayStation 4 Pro, and PlayStation VR all launched within that period. Software sales were down by 19.3% as well. The retailler also blamed "weak" sales of big budget AAA games for the harsh decline, mentioning that the latest Call of Duty title had disappointingly sold 50% less than 2015's Black Ops 3. This announcement comes after Microsoft revealed Xbox Game Pass, a digital subscription that allows players to have access to a wide catalog of games for a monthly fee, which further hurt the brick-and-mortal GameStop, causing stock prices to drop by 7%. This leads to a total stock decline of 31% for the company, in the past year alone.

Total global sales decreased 13.6% to $3.05 billion, while consolidated comparable store sales declined 16.3% (-20.8% in the U.S. and -4.6% internationally). As stated in the company’s holiday sales release in January, the fourth quarter was significantly impacted by weak sales of certain AAA titles and aggressive console promotions by other retailers on Thanksgiving Day and Black Friday. As a result, new hardware sales declined 29.1% and new software sales declined by 19.3%. Pre-owned sales outperformed new video games, declining 6.7% compared to the fourth quarter of 2015.

:arrow: Source

D

Deleted User

The day I don't have to be asked if I want to sign up for their credit card, pro rewards program, if I want to preorder Call of Duty Black Ghost Ops Warfare 37 Game of the Year Edition Gold or any other bullshit will be a great day.

Reactions: jimbo13

DuoForce

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have such bad experiences at GameStop. Every single time I go they ALWAYS pester me into getting a used game when I can get it new for a mere 5 FUCKING DOLLARS. This is no shock to me.

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I see more and more independent/non-corporate stores opening up and less and less gamestops around.

Good stuff.
Maybe in your country. We don't have GaneStop in Switzerland, but we used to have a specialized shop from an European brand in my city, they closed like ten years ago. We still had some indie shop, but they went bankrupt twice or thrice (under different management / owner). Plus prices tend to be lower in big brand shops (games in the indie shop in my city were at least 10$ more expensive than in other shops). Maybe we'll have more specialized shops with better service, but at what costs?

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I shouldn't have to make an excuse for any purchase i make. I should be able to buy anything without hearing some lip about it
You know, that reminds me of something that happened to me years ago, when I was in college. My mother had asked me to buy some knitting materials at a mall nearby the college. So I was there and had picked up the stuff for my mom when suddenly I met this girl who was in the same college program as me. After saying hi, she asked me if I was knitting. I said "No, no, this is for my mother!" She looked at me with those doubtful eyes. I'm still not sure if she believed me! :lol:

Deleted member 408979

Gbatemp amphibian
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Im glad they're losing their touch.

Guys.

You know what happens when a videogame store closes?

They either throw ALL the games away or they give them out really cheap.

And as the pirate that i am, here's to hoping i can snatch a physical copy of OW :grog:(since pirating large games like that is practically impossible on the PC)

dumpster diving is a thing, just fyi.

As far as i know,its legal here in Mexico and in parts of the US.

If its in texas im jumping over the wall and into the fucking trash can also known as the sonic fandom and get me some unpirateable stuff.

farmin

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Horrible news. I don't feel sorry for GameStop as the company itself but the many people who'll lose their jobs because of the stores closing down. :(
This is very true and sad but this has been a long time coming. Gamestop is an absolute dinosaur desperately clinging onto it's failing business model and refusing to change with the times. On the one hand I feel bad for the people losing their jobs but on the other I'm happy to see gamestop finally succumbing to their shady business practices and stubborn attitude.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel