chavosaur

Chavo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gamestop-impulse.jpg
According to The head of gamestop they want to possibly take a shot at selling used digital games. Meaning you can trade in games you have downloaded.​
"We're interested," Raines tells Gamespot. "It's not a meaningful business yet. Right now we're not seeing that as a huge market, but I think we're on the leading edge."
So according to the article they've been checking out similar tech in Europe as well. Im curious as to how the hell people could trust a digital game trade in. I don't fully understand how the hell they could implement this, unless someone would like to enlighten me.​

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's already a service that buys back licenses for games it's sold you, for partial store credit. Look up GreenManGaming. I can see GameStop doing something similar for games they've sold, although I agree they'd need their own distribution method.

The best part is that with digital distribution, you can't really tell if you're getting a new license or one that's been traded back by someone else, meaning GameStop can sell a game for $20, buy it back for $7-$10, and then sell that same license for $20 again, netting a profit of $30+ for a single $20 game.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gamestop recently did launch the gamestop app for buying digital pc games. They actually gave away Rift two weeks ago through it for power plus members. Not a bad game, but not worth buying 15 a month for.

LockeCole_101629

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
probably adding new feature on steam to wrap your games into giftable pack.
anyway it's not really good imo, it will hammer developer even more to do this since they got no revenue from 2nd hand sales, and yes even more profits for gamestop.

but tbh I don't know if this is good or not for long term.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
probably adding new feature on steam to wrap your games into giftable pack.
Uhm, since when did Gamestop become so closely affiliated with Valve's Steam that they'd have the ability to decide on such a thing themselves? They sell currency that you can add to your Steam wallet sure, but other than that?

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'd more likely see another platform for this instead of a company like Gamestop which takes such a huge cut out of it. Actually I don't see the whole point here. Second hand trading should be possible regardless of DRM..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Mondooooo, there was a power outage while you were sleeping?