Games you unintentionally played wrongly

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by FAST6191, Feb 19, 2013.

1. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    Is it bad that I remember doing that in high school? I did learn MtG from that tiny ass instruction booklet. I remember 4th edition distinctly, and yeah, that did mention mana burn - once. I ended up being retaught by a few MtG fans, and I spent more time in that comic book shop than anything else. I ended up playing by the "rules" but for Pokemon (the card game), I ended up disregarding evolutions and how to create them. (Because we didn't have too many Pokemon cards.)

2. gumgod

gumgod GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    Back when I was young and Final Fantasy 1 was a new thing I didn't realize that I had to equip my items in order to get the bonus from them. I would buy new things and the game would ask "who will take it" and I would give it to a guy, but never go equip it. I think I made it all the way through the marsh cave without equipping anything. lol Luckily if you're not wearing armor your evasion is much higher.

Oh and to the guys talking about MTG. I learned from the revised rule book, and yeah I played it wrong too. Llanowar elves made new (token) forests when you tapped them obviously. Which made Gaea's Liege with Aspect of Wolf the most broken thing ever.

3. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    As far as I can remember...
    I never really played a game wrongly...

Well I made some misstakes in game but no big ones ;/

4. LockeCole_101629

LockeCole_101629 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 6, 2012
    New Zealand
    now since you ask it.
    tbh, I never understand how to play Card mini-games in FF 8/9.

FF9 is a bit simple tough, but sometimes I just don't understand when i got beaten with the same strategy that I use earlier. Although it's not really important but it's been bugging me whenever I think about it (and it's been a decade)

5. fluffykiwi

fluffykiwi GBAtemp Fan

Oct 24, 2002
    Scotland
    In Fallout 3 I didn't realise there was a quick travel option and used to trudge from home town to everywhere else and back. Couldnt understand why other people loved the game when all I was experiencing was long walks.

finkmac likes this.
  6. FAST6191
    OP

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Maybe it was because I never actually do the storylines in such games, have no bases of operation and I am lucky in that they always provide great places to explore but the "long way home" approach is what I enjoyed most about such games. Indeed I dare say I have never actually used quick travel in them, the closest I ever got was paying one of the walking bugs in morrowind to take me someone I heard was good.

Gundam Eclipse likes this.
  7. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    Mana burn was a rule but was eventually removed for just being irrelevant.

Apparently no one actually learned YuGiOh correctly accept me. Like I was talking to my friends and they had no idea about like sacrificing (or tributing, whatever the key word is) monsters to go up to stronger ones. Like the whole point of 4 stars, 7 stars, etc.

The game is ass but I played it when I was younger. I still have my cards but I'd never go back to it.

8. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Gravity Rush.

I played the entirety of the game without dodging. I knew it existed, I read the tutorial about it, I even "leveled the skill up" with left-over points but it was never handy or necessary to use it... and then the time came to hunt for trophies, and that meant finding the additional Bosses.

After struggling for quite some time with the first one, cursing under my nose I remembered "wait, there's this thing where I swipe on the screen and... oh. Ooooh... So I can be invulnerable for a brief moment"...

Dodging helped. Only at that part, but it helped.

9. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    I have one - my university was doing a study on violent video games and competition. They had us play Call of Duty - Black Ops competitively against another person. It was pretty fun, and I ended up winning against my opponent.

However, we were locked into just the lightweight class (a pistol and a machine gun). My opponent kept trying to use the scope with her machine gun, and I was free aiming with the look and move controls. (It was the right analog control stick.) I ended up getting more kills because I was "firing from the hip" apparently. It was fun, although pretty damn intense - I heard my opponent swearing in frustration and we were in different monitored rooms!

10. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    The thing is that the Fourth edition rules didn't even mentioned it burned up or emptied. I wouldn't surprise me if players worldwide at some point said something like "okay...I'll tap this forest but won't use it. I'll take the mana burn so I can have an extra one next turn, and...What do you mean, I can't do that?".

@astrangeone: was that "firing from the hip" how they called it in the study? Because if so, it's not a very thorough study. Fixed aiming (where you keep the mouse still and do the final part of the aiming by 'walking' your target within your scope) is pretty common in FPS'es. Probably less in the ones where the aim is reduced when you move, but the term still applies.

11. wrettcaughn

wrettcaughn GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Don't know if this counts... But I put over 50 hours into my first Skyrim character before I realized you could hotkey gear/spells...

12. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    [​IMG]

Problem solved.

13. pasc

pasc GBATemps GBA Freak

Sep 9, 2006
    Germany
    Germany
    Haha, that reminds me of that german rpg game I played once.

It had a main character die during the main story.

However you could revieve him if you got certain events in the game "right".

Back in the days I presumably was so stupid I managed to all those events wrong => Character stays dead.

I replayed the game nowadays, just for the fun, and it seemed like that was enough to revive that character.

Seriously... The choices in that game were ridiculous... what was I thinking back in the days.

---------------

Also back in the days when that ygo game was the shit ppl played the game wrong all the times and tried to convince me of their "rulings".
    Mystical Space Typhoon negating a card it destroys ? (not talking continuous btw) LMFAO.

Seconded... Those pokemon players are serious business, just watch one of those "uber matches" where they switch pokes like no tomorrow and "predict"...

What is this ? Poker ?

14. DragorianSword

DragorianSword GBAtemp's #1 Gunter

Oct 31, 2008
    Belgium
    Like many apparently I played Pokémon with just my starter Pokémon.
    Of course I couldn't get past vermillion city because Squirtle can't learn Cut.
    Only later when I learned enough english I understood I could catch the other Pokémon.
    (They didn't show the anime on tv yet, so I couldn't derive it from that)
    I also thought the game glitched when you reached viridian forrest and I restarted the game completely after that.
    Turned out it was normal and I got poisened.

Fighting games aren't my best genre.I'm rubish at combos and blocking.

Like Arras said: Playing skirmish on easy, building a massive base and crushing army before ever attacking the enemy, mainly in Red Alert 2 and Battle for Middle-Earth 2.

I used to be a massive cheater on pc games and ds games, now I only use x2 exp cheats on RPG's because I don't like grinding too much.

I'm really bad at investing skill points.
    I can never choose what skills to invest in so I probably waste a lot of points in skills I don't need.

15. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    ...over 10 years after the new players I was talking about had that problem. :P

(the rules were simplified and clarified a lot in sixth edition, and even more at eight or ninth edition. It's pretty hard to misread single cards or rules, last time I checked).

16. YayMii

YayMii hi

Jun 24, 2009
    Canada
    that place
    Actually, the anime didn't follow the official card game rules until the second season (and even then, they used 4000LP instead of the official 8000). Which explains why many people didn't actually know how to play.

17. BORTZ

BORTZ The Amazing

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Pokemon, I would try to catch all of them and try to train ALL of them to the same levels before i went on.

18. Sora de Eclaune

Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

Feb 15, 2011
    United States
    123 Fake Street
    I used to play RPGs by avoiding every battle then wondering why I couldn't beat a boss, so I ended up restarting so the game would be easier. My logic was that if you restarted the game, the difficulty would lower.

I play like this. I used to have it where I'd only level the pretty Pokemon, though. If I had a level 15 Zubat that could be helpful in beating a gym leader or something with one level up, I'd box that in favor of the level 5 Ratatta, then wonder why it wasn't strong enough to beat any mons. I didn't understand leveling then. I thought it was like the anime, where all you need is the will. However, as soon as they introduced baby Pokemon into the anime, I went along with that and waited until they evolved before using them on that gym leader. RIP Pokemon I had no idea had 0 evolutions. Forever boxed.

I used to play a friend's copy of Dark Duel Stories. Then I got my own deck and asked where the card-creation decks were. I was laughed out of a small comic book shop. I later went back to do a tournament. I was disqualified for not knowing the official rules. It was mainly for trying to get fusion monsters with the game's rules, which was just putting one card atop the other since the game didn't have Polymerization. I also insisted that my light-alignment card defeated a stronger dark-alignment card enough times to get a 'hey kid, your monster was killed. If you don't stop questioning official rules, you're disqualified' from the ref.

Every time I went back to that shop, I was called Dark Duel Stories. I burned my deck in my dad's grill and never went back to that shop after a while.

19. BORTZ

BORTZ The Amazing

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Fire Emblem, I was used to playing forgiving tactics games where people dont die for good. I got a bit of the way into the game and lost someone... and didnt notice, like a dummy. A few more battles down and I had even less characters... I gave up because I finally realized they werent coming back.

FF7, I didnt understand materia, and i didnt really use it, except enemy skill and some healing ones and summoning ones. Needless to say I had a pretty rough FF7 experience.
    My friend played to the end and thought you had to beat the various weapons that appeared, not knowing they were optional... he never beat the game.

20. SignZ

SignZ Timelord

Jul 16, 2008
    Germany
    Well, I guess Forbidden Memories was kinda at fault for that. :P
    @topic: To be honest, can't remember. There probably were a couple games I played "wrongly" without knowing/caring.

What game are you talking about? You got me interested. :)