All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
What are some games with unique control systems?

Games Known:
  • The Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road - Roll a trackpad to move.
  • Pac'n Roll - Roll a trackpad to move.
  • Guitar Hero: On Tour - Press buttons on a peripheral and swipe across the touch screen.
  • Guitar Hero On Tour: Decades - Press buttons on a peripheral and swipe across the touch screen.
  • Guitar Hero On Tour: Modern Hits - Press buttons on a peripheral and swipe across the touch screen.
  • Slide Adventure: Mag Kid - Move the entire DS around on a peripheral that acts as a laser mouse.
  • Battle and Get! Pokemon Typing DS - Type on a keyboard.
  • Donkey Kong: Jungle Climber - Alternate betwen pressing L and R to climb up the vertical levels.
  • The World Ends with You - Move a character on the bottom screen with the touch screen but simultanously control the top screen with the D-Pad
  • Easy Piano - Play a piano
  • Tony Hawk's Motion DS - Move the DS around with a motion-sensing peripheral.
  • WarioWare: Snapped - Camera controlled random crud.
  • Space Invaders Extreme - Can use a paddle peripheral.
  • Space Invaders Extreme 2 - Can use a paddle peripheral.
  • Arkanoid DS - Can use a paddle peripheral.
  • Skate It - Flick the stylus around the screen at random.
No 3DS or GBA games, please! This is the DS board, not the 3DS board or the GBA board!

D

Deleted User

IMO, Kid Icarus: Uprising has a very original, if not awkward control scheme.

Todderbert

Korg Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Easy Piano. B-)
2v1us8h.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
IMO, Kid Icarus: Uprising has a very original, if not awkward control scheme.
Definitely +1 and the stand doesn't help
This is the DS board, not the 3DS board...

Warioware: Twisted (motion)
This is the DS board, not the GBA board...

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
It has the most interesting (read: crappy) control scheme ever.
But it's not unique.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Homebrew but probably the most unique control scheme I saw on the DS.
http://www.projectaon.org/staff/jens/

There were also hacks for a few games to use the arkanoid paddle.

I am not quite sure where we are heading with this thread though- if it was just annoying "unique" touchscreen controls as a mainstay feature I would probably include the zeldas and starfox (fortunately hacks exist should I ever decide to play them) and the list rapidly grows from there (including most Nintendo first party and captive devs) but the other focus of what games had peripherals is a different matter.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I am not quite sure where we are heading with this thread though- if it was just annoying "unique" touchscreen controls as a mainstay feature I would probably include the zeldas and starfox (fortunately hacks exist should I ever decide to play them) and the list rapidly grows from there (including most Nintendo first party and captive devs) but the other focus of what games had peripherals is a different matter.
No, I don't mean like Zelda or Starfox. I mean like...using peripherals (which is strange, considering it's supposed to be a handheld device you can take everywhere) or having truly unique controls (i.e. trackpad controls for Pac'n Roll are unique because as far as I know only two games use that control scheme.)

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Warioware: Snapped wasn't crud at all, in fact it got me extremely excited for camera motion based games (which of course absolutely never came to fruition.) It just required some decent light, and it was really fun. The only problem is the game is extremely short. It is currently available for 5 bucks, I'll prob buy it again some time for my XXXL

Also, the Tony Hawk Motion game has a motion sensor cartridge.

Fel

GBAtemp's Adventurer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Kirby: Power Paintbrush (also known as Canvas' Curse), you use your stylus to draw the path. And Ivy the Kiwi which had similar control scheme.

Go! Go! Cosmo Cops, in this one you flick your stylus to make your character move, you make your way upwards by swinging on branches and various other obstacles.

And +1 for Soul Bubbles, even though I haven't played it.

And I think that game where you conjure up things with words would also count. How was it called again?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I kind of get where you are coming from but it still seems a bit nebulous (the roller ball thing does not seem that different to the Mario 64 port/remake thing of using the touchscreen in lieu of an analog stick for instance, to a lesser extent driving games with a wheel, games that use the touchscreen as a compass (Tao's Adventure), Turn It Around, some of the horse riding games and maybe Guru Guru* as well).

* youtube video of gameplay. It is about the closest I have seen to the amusing flash games where you throw/trip or otherwise launch something to bounce along for a while.

I will for the most part ignore puzzle games, music games, sports games and minigame collections for this thread (I would be here all day and nothing much would be gained by anyone) but Crash Bandicoot Festival probably warrants a mention. Equally if we are doing draw a path then also have a look at tank beat.

Also I forgot to elaborate upon Hyena. You did not have to but you could close the DS, listen to the audio and press the shoulder buttons a given number of times to choose your actions.

Also on homebrew I want to mention meteroa. This was in some ways closer to standard controls but touchscreen, gestures and microphone were used to create one of the best control schemes I have yet seen on a DS game.

defunct32

Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Is Knights In The Nightmare consider unique? ... Well, it utilizes the touch screen so I guess it doesn't count. Aha.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Going.