Gaming Games that a toddler can play on ds?

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't recommend giving a 2 year old a ds unless you don't mind having a broken ds or your kid is super well behaved and is advanced for their age. There really aren't any games that the average 2 year old will comprehend or have the fine motor skills to control.

I would suggest getting them a very simple 1 or 2 button game with a joystick similar to a v-tech v.smile or innotab/leap pad and or a simple game console like Atari2600.

What I've done in the past is play an emulator and use the record/movie function to record myself playing and then let the kid pretend they're playing along with the playback.

GloversFan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably a bit young for a ds, remember my little man getting hold of my first generation ds when he was 3, the best game he played on it was "sling it on the floor and repeat" lol

Although these days DS consoles are knocking about really cheap so if you don't mind having to replace it or can repair it yourself regularly then it wouldn't matter,

Crayola treasure adventures is a colouring game that most kids seem to enjoy,
A link to one on ebay so you can find out a little more about it
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/crayola-t...deo_Games_JS&hash=item1e8a79da75#ht_22wt_1153

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
2 might be pushing it, even it it is 2 going on let alone 1 going on 2.

Back on the GBA there was "Tonka - On the Job" which was dpad and one button. Naturally you would have to go through the menus but it made for a nice unintentional sandbox.

For the DS everything I know tends to want reading, maths, some knowledge of animals/items/grouping, colours, hand-eye, reflexes..... I think there are some story games that might work here.

I would say you are probably better off giving them the dpad and doing the buttons on a platformer or something.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
2 is a bit young to play any videogames period. specially on a small screen console. at that age, its probably not good for their eyes.

i got my gameboy when i was 6 and my brothers got one when they were like 4. and looking back, i think that was pretty early. on the pro side, one of them learned how to read on his own with a pokemon game and the pokemon series. but thats probably not going to happen all the time.

put away your consoles and play age apropriate games with your child, like 'where's daddy' or 'lets build a tower and smash it down', or puzzles. or teach him all the animals with a great book of all animals (because you know, its sad when cityfolk children cant identify a cow)

theres going to be lots of time to play videogames with your children in a bunch of years. also, when you start giving them games a daily time limit of 20-40 minutes of play is plenty. as a responsible parent, you want them to diversify hobbies and video games can otherwise quickly absorb all day for children.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I could see having issues focusing (can't fully remember my eye development listing) but generally bad for eyes amounts to chemicals, UV and otherwise silly bright. More generally if they are good enough to watch a TV show then they are good enough to play games, assuming you can find one they can handle.

For the rest I seem to recall you and I had rather different opinions on child raising, to that end I will probably leave it at "I disagree".

Daemonised

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks guys that crayola game sounds perfect.

clyde I already do all that with him anyway its just when I sit down to play a game he sits down with me and wants to play as well and frankly when he and I have a controller each he has worked out taht the old broken one isnt actually doing anything so he tries to "swap" them over with me.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
my son at 2 played medal of honor on the pc ... i was amazed at the time i recall.. basically mouse and arrows running round.. but pretty good hand eye coordination ..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this is him being described