Hacking Games Running Slow on Acekard

xnuralratiugx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm having problems with a couple games on my acekard 2i. There are a few that seem to run like theyre in slow motion and eventually stutter to a freeze. Specifically the tony hawk games, the zelda games, and the new rhythm heaven game. I've read a few places that maybe its my sd card. Im using a sandisk 4g micro sd and maybe thats too slow? I've read that there are class 6 sd cards that run faster and can solve game slowdowns but im not sure where to get one or how to tell the speed of a card. Anyone having a similar problem and can confirm or deny that the sd card might be the source?

spark1223

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it a "made in china" sandisk 4 gb? I've had NOTHING but slow downs with those. They get like a 7mb/s speed rating. I suggest you return the card if it was made in china. Do not buy china sandisks.

I've first bought a sandisk class 2 4gb and it worked awesome. Then I bought another sandisk 2gb, worked fine. Then when I sold that to my roomate, I needed another so I tried to buy another sandisk. 4gb were on sale, so I bought another class 2 4gb. It laggggged. So I returned it and exchanged it, then next one did the same thing. Then I bought another china made card at radioshack that was a different brand (gigaware 8 GB) and also from china, BUT was a REBRANDED sandisk. It also lagged. For a while I couldn't understand why this was. Then I found out both of the bad card were china made, and the good one was taiwan.

I can't say for certain if all china cards are bad, but I know that the SDHC china sandisk lag very badly, or atleast the ones sold here, because whenever I buy them they do not work with acekards and get bad benchmarks (below 10 mb/s)

macgeek417

妁眼のシャナ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
spark1223 said:
Is it a "made in china" sandisk 4 gb? I've had NOTHING but slow downs with those. They get like a 7mb/s speed rating. I suggest you return the card if it was made in china. Do not buy china sandisks.

I've first bought a sandisk class 2 4gb and it worked awesome. Then I bought another sandisk 2gb, worked fine. Then when I sold that to my roomate, I needed another so I tried to buy another sandisk. 4gb were on sale, so I bought another class 2 4gb. It laggggged. So I returned it and exchanged it, then next one did the same thing. Then I bought another china made card at radioshack that was a different brand (gigaware 8 GB) and also from china, BUT was a REBRANDED sandisk. It also lagged. For a while I couldn't understand why this was. Then I found out both of the bad card were china made, and the good one was taiwan.

I can't say for certain if all china cards are bad, but I know that the SDHC china sandisk lag very badly, or atleast the ones sold here, because whenever I buy them they do not work with acekards and get bad benchmarks (below 10 mb/s)

My old GigaWare 4GB card only got benchmarks of 4-5MB/sec and IT never lagged. And for a class-2 card, 5MB/sec is fast - class 2 cards are only guerenteed to get 2MB/sec

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
macgeek417 said:
My old GigaWare 4GB card only got benchmarks of 4-5MB/sec and IT never lagged. And for a class-2 card, 5MB/sec is fast - class 2 cards are only guerenteed to get 2MB/sec
It sounds like you are getting mixed up with Read and Write speeds.

macgeek417

妁眼のシャナ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tk_saturn said:
macgeek417 said:
It sounds like you are getting mixed up with Read and Write speeds.

I know that the classes of MicroSD cards are the write speed estamated, but mine got 5MB/sec on both read and write =P

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 8gb class 4 kingston I got was useless. It socred ok in sequential read and write tests but realy fell over in the random read tests. I think this is why it stuttered and locked up in some games. I tried a slower class card (2GB) and it ran fine.

spark1223

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
random access speed doesn't matter and I can prove it. In every test I've done with my own sd cards and 3 acekards, none of random access speed ratings made a difference on whether it lagged.

I'm just posting what I've experienced. This was directed at the OP, not anyone else.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whatever about speed ratings. The simple fact is if your Acekard is lagging like a bitch it has nothing to do with the Acekard it is the SD causing the problems. Who knows why? Perhaps it has nothing to do with speeds but is caused by one of the controller chips. It doesn't realy matter! The fact is, if you Acekard is lagging or running slow then get a better quality SD.

spark1223

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anything but china made sandisks almost...

Taiwan and japan made cards, I have had luck with and korea.

Try like a Japanese Kingston if you can get your hands on one.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
xnuralratiugx said:
can u guys recommend a card other than sandisk and where to buy one? I checked and indeed my card is made in china
I'd recommend NewEgg.com
I've been using them almost exclusively for computer parts since 2003ish and I've never had any issues.
I did got a bad Video Card once, and they took it back with no problems. Also, their shipping is VERY fast.

MicroSD

MicroSDHC

I recently purchased a 4GB Class 6 ADATA MicroSDHC for $10.66 + $3 Shipping and it arrived in two days.

kingofgamesgx

Hitokiri Battousai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kingofgamesgx said:
yea but in time the price will drop,im just curious of how much of a difference it would be compared to using a class 4 or class 6 with AK2iWell... the 4GB Non-SDHC MicroSDs are still ~$60, vs the 4GB MicroSDHC for ~$8 so I'm not sure how much of a price drop you'll be seeing. But then again, the 4GB Non-SDHC MicroSD is the upper limit of the Non-SDHC technology. But that's not really what you were asking.

Anyway... the difference between Class 6 and Class 10 on a Flashcart, probably not noticeable at all.
The difference between 4 and 6 is really only noticeable on games with large saves and I've heard people say that games like Pokemon save faster on a Class 4 MicroSD than they do on the Retail Cart.

Between my 1GB Class 2 Non-SDHC MicroSD and my 4GB Class 6 MicroSDHC there is a small but noticeable difference in save speed, which gets more noticeable on larger game saves.

QUOTE(spark1223 @ May 24 2010, 10:10 PM) more than twice as fast as a class 4.
But the difference between Class 4 and Class 6 (+50%) is not very noticeable.
Sure there will be some... but how much? And is it really worth it to spend 3x the money?

It would be great for things like Digital Cameras where you're saving large files to the MicroSD every time you take a picture...
But on a DS Flashcart? Probably not worth it at all.

spark1223

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, you're right its not really noticeable in game.

But if you're coping alot of data to it can make a difference, although, I can't think of a time where class 10 will make much of a difference. So,no, its probably not worth the price.

But he asked what the difference was, not whether it was noticeable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...