Gameplay overview trailer for ‘Necromunda: Hired Gun’ released

necromunda.png

An overview trailer for the upcoming Warhammer 40k universe-based title from indie devs Streum On Studio Necromunda: Hired Gun was released today. It gives some more gameplay details as to what to expect when the game launches next month:

At Martyr’s End, the hub of all the action and factions in your little corner of Necromunda, you’ll choose your contract, prep your loadout, and track down your target across the dark and twisted areas of the Hive. Nothing comes easy; use your grappling hook and wall-running abilities to close in on your prey across rotting agri-farms, industrious chemlabs and ancient strongholds. Then unleash destruction with your loyal cyber-mastiff to finish the job in style before heading home to upgrade your arsenal even further.

Necromunda: Hired Gun launches digitally on June 1 on PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and PC.

:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Inbox

Reactions: Xzi and Mama Looigi

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This actually looks pretty good... a bit Borderlandsy, but that's not a negative...
...although, the last time I played the tabletop/miniatures original Necromunda (over 25 years ago) it was gang based - this just seems to be a lone 'hired gun'... and a dog. If any GW property could benefit from the class based fps genre it should be Necromunda.

Reactions: Ottoclav

ZoNtendo

Trophies
XP
Country
the name of the game and the artwork are generic af, but the game looks good which is... odd

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am not sure about first person wall running. Third person all day long (I figure I am one of the few that actually quite enjoyed Wet) but nobody has quite yet managed to crack first person, have it be more than more than a glorified open door button (think can only attach your grappling hook to these locations) and have it feel good for me.
I appreciate the desire to do something other than corridors and open fields but eh.

Also I am still not sure if this is going to be some kind of borderlands style open world (dare I say S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?) or a linear Metro 2033 type effort. Both have their perks but if it is going to be the latter then I am not sure, could be a Star Wars bounty hunter approach though but I don't think we will be in the good timeline required for that one.

The missions screen looked somewhat generic but had what looked to be a few styles (bounty, defend, attack major targets, attack a lot of minor targets).

Somewhat amusing a bit of that was in French still too. Wonder what that means for language of development.

Graphics wise. Some nice lighting effects (rather matte but the shadows are beyond what I expect for this kind of budget) but I am almost want to say some of that looks overdesigned (lots of detail that draws your eye nowhere) but I can possibly give them the benefit of the doubt if they are trying to cram in lots of different locations into a trailer.

Reactions: Ottoclav and Prans

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Gonna buy an Xbox just for this shit.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This actually looks pretty good... a bit Borderlandsy, but that's not a negative...
...although, the last time I played the tabletop/miniatures original Necromunda (over 25 years ago) it was gang based - this just seems to be a lone 'hired gun'... and a dog. If any GW property could benefit from the class based fps genre it should be Necromunda.

There already is an actual turn based, team based gang Necromunda game. Came out last year.

D

Deleted User

... I probably am not the Target Demographic for this Game.

Unfortunately, I have a hard time buying into a rusted but lived-in Reality; if that was the Matrix, I'd probably be saying Nope 3 minutes in, waking up to our Machine Overlords and petitioning for a believable Simulation if they want my Biochemistry as their Battery.

All the unkempt atmosphere only makes sense as a place that one is trying to get out of, but for a group of Fighters that seem to be adept in Personal Grooming as this Trailer shows, it seems highly unlikely the application of soap was never considered for their Living Quarters and Environment.

For most of my teenage Gaming years it was argued that this Aesthetic is the Western approach, whereas the Eastern counterpart likes to make everything clean and sparkly; to that I would just say that this Game should pick a lane. Even Borderlands did.

Espen84

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I get a real doom like feeling from this trailer. Well I do love doom. More of that game style yes please, don’t care if it’s a rip-off if it’s done well ☺️

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I get a real doom like feeling from this trailer. Well I do love doom. More of that game style yes please, don’t care if it’s a rip-off if it’s done well ☺️
Considering how Doom exploded in the mainstream with its fresh design approach, I honestly expect history to repeat itself - as in, there will be a wave of D2016/Eternal-influenced "Doom clones", and then they'll evolve enough to make a new subgenre of FPS.

Ottoclav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not sure about first person wall running. Third person all day long (I figure I am one of the few that actually quite enjoyed Wet) but nobody has quite yet managed to crack first person, have it be more than more than a glorified open door button (think can only attach your grappling hook to these locations) and have it feel good for me.
I appreciate the desire to do something other than corridors and open fields but eh.
I too prefer 3rd-person. Why make a sweet looking character if you aren't looking at it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I too prefer 3rd-person. Why make a sweet looking character if you aren't looking at it.
That bothers me less. Viewing angles/ease of looking to spot further locations*, lack of indicators of the run coming to an end (or the indicator being the sole thing the screen has which makes everything else hard, assuming it is not infinite run which is a different style of things). Indeed I almost kind of like a bit of wireframe or transparent character model during such sequences as having your character's fat arse obstruct the direction of travel and likely/potential landing spot is probably one of the bigger downsides of third person (some try to get around that by shifting the camera slightly above such that landing position is still seen).
I wonder at times how much of it would be alleviated by actually useful VR, though I would probably then complain about lack of proprioception/kinaesthesia (the sense that tells you where your various body parts are and what is happening to them, or more simply close your eyes and touch your nose).

*if I am going to put my hand on a railing in real life and jump a set of stairs, climb over a wall or similar then that tends to involve a series of rapid head or eye movements to spot everything needed. Given I can probably still count the number of first person games that properly divorce the gun direction from the look direction on one hand then I hold little hope of that. If someone does crack that though then please may I have a skateboarding game.

Ottoclav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That bothers me less. Viewing angles/ease of looking to spot further locations*, lack of indicators of the run coming to an end (or the indicator being the sole thing the screen has which makes everything else hard, assuming it is not infinite run which is a different style of things). Indeed I almost kind of like a bit of wireframe or transparent character model during such sequences as having your character's fat arse obstruct the direction of travel and likely/potential landing spot is probably one of the bigger downsides of third person (some try to get around that by shifting the camera slightly above such that landing position is still seen).
I wonder at times how much of it would be alleviated by actually useful VR, though I would probably then complain about lack of proprioception/kinaesthesia (the sense that tells you where your various body parts are and what is happening to them, or more simply close your eyes and touch your nose).

*if I am going to put my hand on a railing in real life and jump a set of stairs, climb over a wall or similar then that tends to involve a series of rapid head or eye movements to spot everything needed. Given I can probably still count the number of first person games that properly divorce the gun direction from the look direction on one hand then I hold little hope of that. If someone does crack that though then please may I have a skateboarding game.
I was trivializing quite a bit. Regarding VR, I would also be complaining about how out of shape I am to actually perform in VR, LOL. I've been in Military VR testing, and it was physically exhausting just moving around inside a 4' x 4' square and the pace was a even bit slower than what we have these days.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol