Hacking Gamecube original (waverace) won't boot! Homebrew related?

delt31

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am trying to get my original copy of waverace to work but after the wii reads it as a GC game and I press start, nothing happens. It goes to black.

could this be homebrew related? I am on 3.2 u

4ndy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To my knowledge, Home brew shouldn't affect originals. Check if the disc is scratched, also try playing it in another wii to see if it would work. Also try your other original copies to see if it would play.

afccx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
delt31,

Have you patched MIOS to use the Gamecube Backup Launcher? I'm curious, because I have a similar problem, although I haven't taken the time to figure out what causes it. If I load any original Gamecube game through the Disc Channel, the screen goes black. I thought the system was locked up, but it turns out the game did boot - but there's no video. Try loading up Wave Race again, and wait a while for the various logos & credits to go away. Do you hear the audio when the game demo or intro starts? I was going to try unpatching MIOS to see if that helps any.

I'm on System Menu 3.2U. At the time of last testing I was probably running cIOS rev 7, although I'm on rev 10 now.

afccx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have Starfall hacks installed. I tried to uninstall the GCN hacks as recommended, but Starfall won't load from HBC any more for me - screen goes black, Wiimote turns off. No idea why. Hopefully the OP has better luck. Thanks for the suggestions.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
afccx said:
I have Starfall hacks installed. I tried to uninstall the GCN hacks as recommended, but Starfall won't load from HBC any more for me - screen goes black, Wiimote turns off. No idea why. Hopefully the OP has better luck. Thanks for the suggestions.

Is it only Starfall that doesn't load for you, or do other applications give you the problem as well? If worse comes to worst, you could always do a "downgrade" from 3.2 to 3.2 and that would undo all the Starfall hacks. You'd just have to hope that the application runs after the "downgrade."

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
kedest said:
to fully remove all starfall hacks, you can also reinstall the 3.2U system menu wad via wad manager

Probably the quickest and most direct way assuming you have it on hand (from a game disc you have perhaps).

delt31

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah it was the starfall thing - I disabled region free GC and it worked.

thanks.

now if i can only figure out how to turn off the wii when playing a GC game without having to hard reset on the console!

afccx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FenrirWolf said:
Is it only Starfall that doesn't load for you, or do other applications give you the problem as well? If worse comes to worst, you could always do a "downgrade" from 3.2 to 3.2 and that would undo all the Starfall hacks. You'd just have to hope that the application runs after the "downgrade."

Yes, it was only Starfall that was giving me a hard time. I thought of the downgrade solution, but decided against drastic action. I tried loading Starfall from TH, but had the same result. I was going to try loading it over the network, but instead I deleted Starfall from my SD card, did a chkdsk /f on it, and added it back - problem solved. And removing the GC region-free hack solved my issue with GC originals, just as you guys said it would! Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4