Homebrew Gamecube Games?

Roads1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the dumb new Wii model without Gamecube support. So, am I limited to only backup loaders for it, or is there some way to softmod it so it loads discs? (Unlikely, since I think the lack of compatibility is in the disc drive itself...)

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
The lack of disc drive support isn't the only thing stopping you, there are also no controller/memory card ports for the GC on the new Wiis. It's been proven that you can install one yourself, but that can be a bit hard.

As for now, there is no way to play them on a Wii without GC ports. However, there is an app supposedly being developed called Devolution which will allow you to play GC games from USB and SD cards and will allow you to use any controller you want, but has not been released yet to my knowledge. You'll have to wait for now.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
It isn't worth going through much trouble. Used Wii's flood the market now. Might not be long before decent units appear on ebay, pawn shops, or similar under $40 (before any postage/tax). Assuming they haven't already.

The one certain way to get a Gamecube ready Wii is Japan. If you *really* need as close to 100% guarantee as possible and don't mind steep shipping. Short of examining the system in person. AFAIK Nintendo for whatever reason has NOT brought that new model there. But I don't know if or how well they could be soft modded into US format...

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
But I don't know if or how well they could be soft modded into US format...
Would it even be necessary? AFAIK, Japanese Wii's output NTSC, meaning that they should be plug-and-play with US TV's. To play a US game all one would need to do would be to load it through a loader of some sort, such as NeoGamma or even Gecko OS.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
What Lumstar said: just get one with the proper ports if you really want one. And don't forget to find and buy a gamecube controller and memory card either.

Devolution isn't released and there's no release date mentioned. It could be here next week, it could never be released at all. Plus that the author said that it wouldn't have support for wii controllers to begin with. That's a possible later feature. But a project this size WILL have bugs, issues and things to be added. That, and the fact it's a one man show, certainly doesn't make it worth the wait. Two months (random time) before you could play your first gamecube game on that newer model wii seems like a very positive guesstimate.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o